Infants not allowed in pools?

diz_princess

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of taking our 8 mo son on a cruise. I was reading up on some comments about infants on the cruises...is it correct that infants are not allowed in the pools on the cruise?
Thanks!

Based on the DCL website:

Is it true that children must be toilet-trained in order to enter the pools?

Yes. The United States Public Health Service requires that only children who are toilet-trained be permitted to enter swimming pools and spas on board cruise ships. Young children, who are not toilet trained, are welcome to enjoy the fountain play area near the Mickey Pool that has been designed exclusively for the enjoyment of children wearing swim diapers.

One ear of the Mickey pool is designated for non-potty trained children. It is deep enough to splash in and it feels like they're in a pool.

Where is the fountain play area? I don't remember seeing it on the Wonder on our last cruise.

I've read posts where some people say that one Mickey ear is for babies in swim diapers, while I've read others that say (swim diaper or not) ONLY potty trained children are allowed in the pools. Does DCL have pool rules in writing somewhere?

Zandy595- When I read the DCL site info, I thought the same thing. I couldn’t recall seeing a fountain play area when we cruised in 02’. Maybe I just missed it??

The last cruise I was on, Western, last May, was when they did the modification to said ear on the Magic to allow the toddlers some splashing area. Looked very nice.

Yes. The United States Public Health Service requires that only children who are toilet-trained be permitted to enter swimming pools and spas on board cruise ships. Young children, who are not toilet trained, are welcome to enjoy the fountain play area near the Mickey Pool that has been designed exclusively for the enjoyment of children wearing swim diapers.
I see they havn't updated the website better.

One ear of the Mickey pool is now only a zero depth splashing area for the toddlers, I believe it has some kind of fountian thing going on. They separated it water wise from the rest of the pool to prevent cross-contamination. The rest of the Mickey pool is for potty trained kids only. That was my understanding when I stopped to ask.

Jan31/04 we were on the Magic and one of the ears of the Mickey pool is used for babies only. They are very strict about kids being potty trained in the main part of the pool. All the babies I saw in the "toddler pool" were enjoying it very much. It didn't seem to be much of an issue for them.
I don't think the Wonder has modified their pool yet, but perhaps recent cruisers could update you?

We were on the Wonder 10/03 and it had been modified for infants and toddlers. I agree with talicskai: the toddlers I saw in the splash area appeared to be enjoying it very much.

We took our 13 month old and not being allowed in the pool was awful. The Mickey ear is good if your child has no interest in the big pool, but mine did. Furthermore, I am sure there are many "Pottytrained" kids (I saw toddlers)doing their business in the main pool. For my next trip , I maight just say my son is trained like the rest of them.
Also, take adavantage of the babysitting. They were wonderful and made it so we could enjoy a break.

... Furthermore, I am sure there are many "Pottytrained" kids (I saw toddlers)doing their business in the main pool. For my next trip , I maight just say my son is trained like the rest of them.

That's disgusting! You see other parents letting their kids do it, so you think it's OK to let your's? I hope I interpreted that post wrong.

I must admit we saw plenty of non potty trained toddlers & even infants being brought into the Mickey pool. We brought it to the attention of the nearest CM, but she just called somone on her walkie talkie & nothing was ever said to the parents. I was there with my 5 year old son & 20 month old daughter. She was perfectly happy to splash around in the ear, but unfortunately most of the others with infants decided to bring them into the Mickey Pool!!??!! I am not usually one to be extremely germophobic, but with the amount of water that my 5 year old ingests while splashing in the pool, I was not going to risk him being in there with the non-potty trained set.

5 or 6 other 2 year olds could have fit comfortably in there with my daughter, heck, 10 or 12 of them could have hung out around the sides, but it seemed everyone wanted to be IN the Mickey Pool, and unfortunately the rules were not enforced. I would just send my son down the Mickey slide a few times & if he really wanted to swim we would have taken him to the Goofy Pool, but he would usually just say he wanted to go do something else...usually get ice cream!!!!

PLEASE take into consideration the rules & why they are in place, it is for the overall health of ALL passengers. Once one of those non pottry trained kids makes a mess in the Mickey pool, it will be closed for hours, maybe even the remainder of the day. I personally find it a good lesson for my five year old, explaining why I am taking him out of the pool, how breaking the rules can sometimes ruin things for other people. I usually try to do so in ear shot of the "offenders"!!

I do have a couple pics of my daughter in the "ear" I will ask my husband to help me post one for you!!

On our last cruise they had to shut down the pool and clean it. It means that the entire area is closed off and everything nearby gets wet (deck, chairs, etc.). I know this topic comes up frequently but IMO please have some consideration for your fellow cruisers and follow the rules.

Urine is generally sterile and as such doesn't pose too much of a health risk (this is not posted as carte blanche to let people teach their kids its ok to pee in a pool - gross! On the other hand, anyone under the impression that the Mickey Pool - or any public pool - is pee-free because only potty trained kids are allowed in is welcome to cash a reality check). Feces is another matter. Many non-potty trained kids will poop in a pool. As has been stated, the pool then needs to be closed and completely cleaned.

Originally posted by Willandharry
. Furthermore, I am sure there are many "Pottytrained" kids (I saw toddlers)doing their business in the main pool. For my next trip , I maight just say my son is trained like the rest of them.

Just because you suspected other parents were doing it doesn't make it okay for you to do it also. That is very disrespectful to the other childrens health if you put your child in the pool knowing full well he/she is not potty trained! :mad:

Thanks for the pictures! Is that like inflatable or cushioned around the edges of that ear? Or hard? Just curious... since it'd be slippery in there and obviously the non-potty trained children in there would be alone without a parent in there with them.

I also have a question- can someone explain to me how EACH pool is? I thought I read at some point that one pool is for children, one for families, and then ofcourse the adults only pool. How does that work exactly? So in one pool only children and no parents with them? So that would mean they have to be good swimmers- right?
And the family pool- is that one that non-pottytrained children can go into with the parents?
Can someone please explain each pool to me? It seems like it's going to be an issue if you have 2 or more children at different age leves/different swimming capabilities, etc.

mickey pool- who's allowed in this pool? I realize the mickey's ear is for nonpotty trained infants... up to what age? Any age that isn't potty trained? Or is there an age max there too?

Goofy pool- who all is allowed in this pool?

Quiet Cove Adult Pool - adults only, no children allowed. This is located at Deck 9, forward. This is a rectangular pool, around 4 feet deep. There are two whirlpools there as well.

Goofy's Family Pool - same size as the Quiet Cove Pool, also with two whirlpools. Located at Deck 9, Midship. All are allowed.

Mickey's Children's Pool - Located at Deck 9, rear, this is made up of Mickey's face (18 inches deep), his ears (11 inches deep) and a waterslide.

The slide only allows kids from 4-14 and from 32-64 inches tall.

Most of the time, the kids splash and play in the face part of the pool, and the parents sit on the side with their legs in the pool, watching their kids.

The ears serve as wading pools for the little kids.

Although it is primarily used by children, there is no set rule. All are welcome in the Mickey pool, EXCEPT...

Health regulations dictate that all children must be potty-trained and may not wear swim diapers in any of the pools.

Hope this helps!

Mickey Pool: Children's pool....we saw a FEW parents in here with their kids, but most parents seem to line the edge of the pool ready to jump in if their four year old gets dunked. The deepest part of the pool was about waist high on my five year old. Deep enough for non-swimmers to "swim" but not deep enough to worry that anyone will go over their head. One ear is a fountain play area dominated by the tot set (although I don't know that its reserved for them - I didn't see a lot of older kids in there). The ears are hard plastic, so yes, they get slippery - you couldn't walk on them, but you can sit on the edge. The other ear was shallow and was being used by the kids as a "mini spa" (although the water wasn't hot and the bubbling was coming from all the kicking. The slide is pretty tall (two flights of steps), but ends in ankle deep water.

Goofy pool: Water was up to my chest - one depth (I'm 5'7"). This is the family pool. My little ones were in here in swim vests. I understand that this can be cannonball central, but we were never here when it was busy (we were here at 8:00am and during CC day - we had it to ourselves!). Anyone (who is potty trained) can use the Goofy pool (does that mean us post pregancy leakers can't?).

Quiet Cove Pool: Adults only Don't know much about the pool We enjoyed the hot tubs here. It is peaceful and they do a good job of keeping it pretty relatively kid free (occationaly kids will wander by on deck - but we never saw any near the pool).

Waitstaff at the quiet pool serves ample rum drinks....but you might have to look a tiny bit harder at the other pools (but not too hard!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter