Independence of the Seas- just got back

nikkistevej

DIS Veteran
So, I just took my 2nd RCCL cruise(we do mostly Disney). It was mine and DH's 20th wedding anniversary, we traveled with another couple. We went down a day ahead, and stayed at a hotel, and had a rental car.We liked everything about the cruise(food wasn't as good as Disney's IMO), BUT the debarkation was horrible- we literally had to run to make our flight(and we made the flight after the recommended time they give). Any questions about the cruise, I would be happy to answer.

I would agree, debarkation was difficult. We had an early flight, so chose to walk off carrying our own luggage. We went to the assigned muster spot at the assigned time (7:30AM) to walk off, and the line was already incredibly long. Plus, part of the line wound past the elevators, and people would get off the elevators and just join the line there, essentially cutting in front of people who were in line past the elevators.

I would agree, debarkation was difficult. We had an early flight, so chose to walk off carrying our own luggage. We went to the assigned muster spot at the assigned time (7:30AM) to walk off, and the line was already incredibly long. Plus, part of the line wound past the elevators, and people would get off the elevators and just join the line there, essentially cutting in front of people who were in line past the elevators.
We did rebook for Harmony next year, gonna take all the kids BUT...... flying home the day after. LOL

Which itinerary were you on? I'm doing the 5 day to Falmouth and Labadee next year.

Do you know which terminal you used for debarkation? We were lucky last summer on Independence. We were the only ship in port so we used terminal 18, which was built for Oasis class. We did self assist and by 8:30 we had taken the shuttle to the rental car agency, picked up our car and drove to the beach for breakfast. But I see on our next Indy cruise, Harmony will be in port with us. Which means we'll be at Terminal 25. I'm not looking forward to it.

Which itinerary were you on? I'm doing the 5 day to Falmouth and Labadee next year.

Do you know which terminal you used for debarkation? We were lucky last summer on Independence. We were the only ship in port so we used terminal 18, which was built for Oasis class. We did self assist and by 8:30 we had taken the shuttle to the rental car agency, picked up our car and drove to the beach for breakfast. But I see on our next Indy cruise, Harmony will be in port with us. Which means we'll be at Terminal 25. I'm not looking forward to it.
We were on the 4 night, only port was Cozumel. We used terminal 25.

This sounds very similar to a Cruise I am currently looking at. 4 nights on the Independence from FT Laud. to Cozemel. This would be our first crusie and am so overwhelmed as to what to expect/see/do. once you were on board was it a good cruise? Any Advice appreciated?

Cruising is pretty awesome. I've been hooked since my first cruise (on the Dream). I am enjoy RC because 1) I can take two RC cruises for the price of one DC, and 2) I found out I like gambling (!), which is not available on Disney ships. I do miss the FEs though. I was pretty happy with the Independence, except for the shows. We went on the Allure after the Independence, and the shows were better. I also like my time dining. After trying regular dining and mytime dining on RC, I will always choose mytime dining. Remember to bring a highlighter with you to highlight what you want to do every day on your Navigator (daily calendar of events), and you'll be fine.

I'm booked for January and I was wondering what time you showed up at port, hotel you used, what you did after boarding-windjammer's?

Is the adult pool area better than Dream/ Fantasy?

It's our first RC after 8 DCL's.

For those who don't know, you can ask Guest Services for an earlier assigned "off time". I would plan on at least an hour from your assigned off time to get your bags and clear customs before you even think about catching a cab.

ETA: The problem the OP experienced could also be an issue with not enough Customs inspectors assigned to glance at everyone's passports. :P

I'm booked for January and I was wondering what time you showed up at port, hotel you used, what you did after boarding-windjammer's?

Is the adult pool area better than Dream/ Fantasy?

It's our first RC after 8 DCL's.
I'm not the OP but I have sailed on IOS before. We stayed at the Hyatt Place 17th Street. We booked through http://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm#Today's Super Value rates.

I don't remember exactly what time we go to the port. We left the hotel about 10am and were onboard by 11:15. We brought our bathing suits in oru carry-ons with the intention of going to the pool until the room was ready. But it was rainy and windy that day because of Hurricane Erika. We went to the Royal Promenade and had a snack at Sorrento's and the Cafe Promenade. Then we just explored the ship. The rooms were open by 12:30.

We did self assist debarkation and were off before 7:30. But we were lucky in the fact that we were the only RCI in port that day. So we were able to use Terminal 18 which was built for Oasis class ships. On our next IOS cruise Harmony will be in port with us. Which means we'll be stuck at terminal 25 which is not as efficient.

Just joining in this thread. I am a Disney Cruise Line vet (going on DCL cruise #9 in February, but cruise #24 in general). We will be sailing on RCCL's Independence of the Seas next July/August for a 14 night Mediterranean cruise! We had the Disney Magic booked for just 7 nights and it was almost $8k for one inside stateroom. We are paying just a few hundred dollars more and we get an extra week AND an extra cabin...booked 2 connecting Promenade Views for our family of 4! This will be our first time sailing on RCCL, so I hope we like it. We LOVE DCL, but aren't DCL snobs, meaning we have cruised NCL even more than we have cruised DCL, so I know not to compare every detail to DCL. Thanks for any info you posted on this thread!

How do you think young (6&9) children would like the pool area. Did they have any slides or water features on the ship and did you happen to notice if they were open later in the evenings like on Disney? Thanks

We sailed on the Independence in December 2014, and it was the worst disembarkation I've ever experienced. Had a car in port, and got to our WDW hotel after 1. We've sailed quite a few RCCL cruises, and I do not think they have nearly as good a system as DCL.

However we do like RCCL cruising, and DCL and Princess for that matter.

How do you think young (6&9) children would like the pool area. Did they have any slides or water features on the ship and did you happen to notice if they were open later in the evenings like on Disney? Thanks

No slides, but the H2O Zone is a really nice pool/splash area for kids, plus you have the Flowrider if the 9 year-old is at least 52". The H2O zone closed at 1pm on port days and 8pm on sea days.

We've had two great cruises on Indy and quick, easy debarkation both times.

Plus, part of the line wound past the elevators, and people would get off the elevators and just join the line there, essentially cutting in front of people who were in line past the elevators.

Disembarking Vision, they had employees stationed at the elevators preventing elevator use and cutting.

We did rebook for Harmony next year, gonna take all the kids BUT...... flying home the day after. LOL

Excellent plan.

ETA: The problem the OP experienced could also be an issue with not enough Customs inspectors assigned to glance at everyone's passports. :P

Definitely.

My kids loved the H2O zone! It was a mandatory activity almost every day. The pool within it is large enough for you to take a dip too. Plus, since young adults and seniors avoid the place like the plague... it was less crowded and more peaceful than the main pool area most days. There is no slide, but several water shooting playground type things, and a donut shaped whirlpool. The H2O zone will close on really windy days which is annoying for people who don't mind a little over-spray. They also have movie nights in the main pool area.

They loved the Adventure Ocean kids club and Sorrento's on Independence. The 9 year old might be a bit old but the 6 year old will love the pirate night and parade they usually offer in the kids club. They've only ever been on Independence but they cried their eyes out when we packed up to leave. Genuine crocodile tears.

My kids loved the H2O zone! It was a mandatory activity almost every day. The pool within it is large enough for you to take a dip too. Plus, since young adults and seniors avoid the place like the plague... it was less crowded and more peaceful than the main pool area most days. There is no slide, but several water shooting playground type things, and a donut shaped whirlpool. The H2O zone will close on really windy days which is annoying for people who don't mind a little over-spray. They also have movie nights in the main pool area.

They loved the Adventure Ocean kids club and Sorrento's on Independence. The 9 year old might be a bit old but the 6 year old will love the pirate night and parade they usually offer in the kids club. They've only ever been on Independence but they cried their eyes out when we packed up to leave. Genuine crocodile tears.
That's great to hear. Thank you very much for the feedback.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter