Incident at Poly

I am glad your son is o.k. I noticed last year that this area was very slippery. My dd wanted to run back and forth from the splash area to the pool. We then moved over to the BWV. I loved their toddler area. There was concrete around the pool but the playground was nearby and kids were running back and forth. The playground had a sponge-like surface underneath and it was just great for the little ones!

I believe SSR has this same sponge-like area around their splash area-so Disney must have caught on to this possibly being a hazard.

I agree to write the letter.

i would write a letter-those play areas can be very slippery
i saw 3 people fall at the 1 in dtd by the christmas store

These really should have age limits as well. Soft surface or not, any wet area is bound to be very slippery and we all know how unsteady on their feet little ones are when they have just learned to walk. In addition, I know on the ships they have policies about only potty-trained kids in the pool, I guess I assumed that would be the case in the resort pools as well. Maybe not? (YUCK!)

I have let my daugther play in that area and I always make sure she has on her water shoes so incidents like that don't happen.

I am sooo glad that your little man is alright. I would definitely make a comment to Disney about it.

So glad your son is ok...

I would write a letter......Definately....Nicely put....
Giving them a heads up on guest safety..
Kerri

I would write a letter as others have suggested. They should put a foamy surface down for the kids splash area. My DD slipped in that area too walking over to see her DB. she was fine though and did not hit her head, just fell her on her butt. SO glad your son is alright, I would have been scared thinkng my child had a concussion.

These really should have age limits as well. Soft surface or not, any wet area is bound to be very slippery and we all know how unsteady on their feet little ones are when they have just learned to walk. In addition, I know on the ships they have policies about only potty-trained kids in the pool, I guess I assumed that would be the case in the resort pools as well. Maybe not? (YUCK!)

:offtopic: I know but they are supposed to wear a swim diaper if they are not potty trained and yes than they can go in the pool. It's Disney expect small kids the pool :rolleyes: .

Thank God your child is O.K. That is certainly the last thing you expect while on vacation. I wonder if there were any signs posted warning guests that this particular play area was "slippery" or otherwise "dangerous".

Disney has a legal obligation to its guests as "invitees" to provide a place "hazard free". In your case I would suggest a letter of complaint to Disney Corporate headquarters outlining the incident, the management's response, the time that took to get the child to the ER, and the damages you and your child suffered which might include " pain and suffering", (vomiting episodes) and "negligent infliction of emotional distress" for you who watched your child suffer the injury and had to then take a vacation hiatus to seek medical treatment in a foreign town. I would then close by suggesting that Disney should make your family whole for the "damages" caused by their "negligent maintenance" of the premises.

I think that the fact that you were lucky enough to have a positive outcome does not detract from the problem per se. This will also serve as incentive to fix the problem before someone else gets hurt, who may not be as lucky.

Good Luck!

We just got back from a single night at the Poly at end of April (our last night of the trip LOVED it) and spent most of our time in the pool area. My kids spent alot of time in the fountains. Now no incidents for us but as you can see from the pic I attached the stone pavement could be quite slippery when wet. I was comfortable with my kids playing there (definitely no rough housing or running) and it is a parental discretion judgement. However I would heartily support Disney adding something like rubber gripping or softer foam surface. Nothing is a 100% fix as water/pool areas are by nature somewhat more risky than other playing surfaces. A 'warning/hazardous slip area' sign would also be welcome.

pfount.jpg
[/IMG]

You can see the kids reflections on the ground in the picture. Looks like tile to me. That shoud be changed to something safer.

PLEASE write to Disney outlining your concerns. It can't cost all that much to change the surface to something more cushiony.
Hopefully they will do it before my DGD age 3 wants to play there in Sept.
Glad your little guy is okay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter