In the Heights (movie)

I respectfully disagree that Hamilton is one style. Just off the top of my head - What Did I Miss? Helpless. Say No to This. Burn. Schulyar Sisters, Wait for it. Anything by the King.

When LMM is the lead, the songs are similar style, but when the other cast members have their own song, those songs reflect the characters personality.

:)
Just going by what I remember when we watched it. Wasn't as impressed with it as everyone else apparently.

Just going by what I remember when we watched it. Wasn't as impressed with it as everyone else apparently.
Point taken. First time I saw it was live in Chicago. I didn't know any songs or anything about. I was completely lost, couldn't understand what they were saying. Then I got the soundtrack, and listened and started to recognize the genius of it.....THEN Disney+ streams it and I can watch with closed caption. I get that it isn't for everyone (DH, DS AND DD won't indulge me in viewing with me lol), but I find it masterful :)

Wasn't as impressed with it as everyone else apparently.

I didn't quite understand the Hamilton love either. I appreciated the talent it took, and the bringing of history into entertainment, but it was just too much for me - I found no breaks in the singing and most of it rap to be kind of overwhelming.

I was glad to read that this one seems to back off some from that format.

Anyone see it? It's like a lot of first run movies that are showing up on TV or streaming services, where this is on HBO Max for 31 days, like Wonder Woman 1984 and Godzilla vs. Kong.

I wasn't really that familiar with the Broadway musical other than I've seen some clips of songs from it, including at a visit to the White House before Hamilton. For a while the same promotional photo has been used to publicize it since it was supposed to be released last year.

in_the_heights_production_2.jpg

Its brilliant !! JMHO--- Im a bit biased--- living in NYC, when the Broadway show first opened, I fell in love with it-- at the time, they had $25 tickets, and I was seeing it every Friday night !!! (that pricing changed literally 10 secs after they won the Tony award !!)
This being said... its an amazing movie, and love the "updated/changed" storylines !!

Thank you for suggesting this! I saw the post yesterday but hadnt paid much attention to the movie ads because i thought it was only going to be streaming. I also didnt know LMM wrote it, since we adore Hamilton we decided to go to the theater last night. We loved it! Such a good movie... the music and the dancing! My daughter now wants to take Latin dancing classes... lol

Thanks again!

I loved it! Saw it for the first time a few nights ago and have already rewatched it. So good.

DW & I saw it in the theater yesterday. The songs & dancing were impressive. I wasn't crazy about the story line. There was no "conflict". I did like the ending. I'd give it 3.5/5.
I think there was plenty of conflict. The conflict was within the characters as they tried to figure out where they fit in and where was their “home.” Is their community a place that has them trapped or is it where they want to be? Should they return to the place they came from, or “return” to a place they’ve never been? I thought it did a great job of showing the mixed and complex feelings immigrants and their children might struggle with in terms of knowing where they “belong.”

I think there was plenty of conflict. The conflict was within the characters as they tried to figure out where they fit in and where was their “home.” Is their community a place that has them trapped or is it where they want to be? Should they return to the place they came from, or “return” to a place they’ve never been? I thought it did a great job of showing the mixed and complex feelings immigrants and their children might struggle with in terms of knowing where they “belong.”
OK. Sorry, I didn't get all that.

I saw it twice in the theater. First time, I saw it with a DIS friend who had seen the play and knew the songs, so I knew I would enjoy it with her. The second time I saw it in the theater was with another Latina friend of mine, and so it was a little nostalgic with the abuela reminding us of our grandmothers. I really enjoyed the storyline and the performances, and I'm sure I'll watch it on HBO Max, too. Anthony Ramos kind of reminded me of Lin Manuel's performance when he raps, and it kind of made sense when I learned that he was the original Usnavi, and Chris Jackson the original Benny (from what I heard). I loved their interaction in the movie and end credit scene.

I hadn’t heard of the musical before I started seeing the advertising for the movie but being a movie musical I immediately put it on my list to see. Here in Australia it’s at the cinemas but not streaming (our cinemas have been open since late 2020). I really enjoyed it. I saw some reviews that said it didn’t go deep enough with some of the emotion etc but to me a musical is about the fun of the song and dance and big upbeat chorus numbers are my favourites - so no complaints here.

I liked the content better than Hamilton, but the production of Hamilton better. You just can’t beat a good stage performance! But I do feel as though the music was very similar, almost too close...

I liked the content better than Hamilton, but the production of Hamilton better. You just can’t beat a good stage performance! But I do feel as though the music was very similar, almost too close...

Oh totally....the style of the upbeat rap numbers in particular are very "Lin". Hamilton is a much more sophisticated work of art. But still...In the Heights was really really well done as a movie. The reviews were all extremely positive and flattering. And I do think that a part of that reflects the times we're living in, and for the U.S. in particular, the end of a dark period in our history and the reopening of society in general.

In the Heights was a stage play first. It was on Broadway and I saw the tour when it came to my city. Lin wrote it while he was in college.
Denise
I think I would have liked the stage production better. I’m not really a fan of movie musicals as it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter