In perfect timing....

mrd7896

Mouseketeer
I had ACL reconstruction 6 years ago and have been very active ever since. Last night my knee got banged up pretty bad (heard the every frightening pop sound) and of course will be travelling to both universal and disney this weekend. i arranged for a doctors appointment for right when i get back as they couldn't fit me in today.

We already arranged for a wheelchair to be delivered (i'm a female travelling with 3 brawny siblings who have all vocalized that they will help push me around when need be)
I went with a wheelchair over an ECV due to getting on and off busses, navigating through parks may be a bit easier with the former and since it is collapsible it won't be as difficult overall??

Should i be extra concerned with any rides? I'm able to sit at a desk at work perfectly fine (so bending the knee), the pain/issue is walking for long periods of time as i have quite the hobble.
I'm not all too worried about getting in and out of ride vehicles (i have a low to the ground car and was good getting in and out albeit slow)
I'm more so worried about how my knee will survive during rides and for whatever reason can't picture how you support yourself when riding things/getting whipped around.

already aware that BTMR or SDMT may not be the best.
Incredible hulk at Islands of adventure

Anything else i should either skip or be extra cautious?

1. will not be visiting epcot this trip
2. will be wearing a knee brace/compression brace/whatever is manageable with the heat and what not.

THANK YOU!

If you brace yourself with just your good leg, and your bad knee is in a brace, you might be OK on BTMRR and SM That's what I did when my foot was broken.

I think the WC is better at US/IOA because those parks aren't very ECV friendly in my experience. However you may like having an ECV for Disney. I have 3 big males in my family but from my experience in being pushed in a WC - I didn't like it. I love having the freedom of the ECV to go and do what I want when I want (getting out at night to go to the food court or splitting up from the family, etc.). YMMV on that - busses are not a problem at Disney in my opinion.

I have two very badly arthritic knees (that need replacing - long story) and I can ride just about everything. My biggest problem is Splash Mountain and Small World - any seats that are low to the floor I can barely get up and something about it hurts my knees a lot. There's a WC boat for Small World but Splash there's nothing you can do but get in and hope for the best. I have no problem with big thunder mountain or 7 dwarves and I don't ride Space Mountain so I can't say about that one. Have fun!

An ECV will give you more personal freedom - so if you want to get up early (for example) and zip down to grab a bit of breakfast before the rest of your family is up and around, you can. Or, you can take off and go shopping at Disney Springs, and let them sit with their beer flights and talk about sportsball. If you have to do laundry while you are staying at WDW, you can grab it and zoom around to the laundry room at your Resort. If you just want to go ride Jungle Cruise one more time while everyone else eats a Dole Whip (I'll be with the Dole Whip, just so you know LOL) then you can go do that by yourself and everyone else can argue over the relative merits of cone vs. cup.

If you are *flying* to WDW, remember that many airports are huge with long concourses, and walks to get there, so you may want to consider bringing a wheelchair from home, (regardless of what kind of device you use at WDW) since mobility equipment flys free on all US airlines.

There are pros and cons to both - and in the end, it really is a very personal decision.

I'm so sorry about your knee - I have 2 bad ones (and no spares!) so I get it.

I travel with my Mom who has bad knees (one replaced and another that probably should be). She has a lot of trouble bending. She can ride most things. The hard ones are Small World and Pirates and anything she really has to step down and her knee is higher than her bottom. We gave up Space Mountain at WDW (DL is ok) years ago as she just cannot get in or out easily (I think she would need Reedy Creek to get her out of the car).

I started one trip with a manual wheelchair, but it turned out that there were a lot of steep hills and ramps, and areas with uneven paving, that I had never noticed before. Luckily, I had the contact information for the rental company with me and they were able to get an ECV to my resort by the time I got back from the parks and pick up my wheelchair the next morning. So,I do advise keeping that information handy in case you find you need a Plan B.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter