In Every Run That Must Be Done; There is an Element of Fun (comments welcome)

WOOT! I love SSR for race weekends. Maybe we'll see you there if when DH decides he wants to go lets me talk him into going again. We stay preferred as well, but down by the DS entrance so we can just walk over for food whenever.

2 Days Until: Hot Dash 10K

I’ve really got to get back in the habit of updating this journal.

Since my last entry:
3.24 miles at 12:34 average pace
6.07 miles at 13:53 average pace
4.58 miles at 13:13 average pace
2.12 miles at 13:13 average pace (followed by walking the same distance—more on that later)
4.74 miles at 13:37 average pace
6.44 miles at 13:37 average pace

24:17 indoor cycling
33:53 indoor cycling
38:16 indoor cycling

I’m still having trouble finding my motivation. I keep finding excuses not to do things. I think it’s ADHD, and I have an appointment to start the process of evaluation, but not until June 🫤🫤 Until then, I’m just going to have to try my best.

On March 11, it was 65°F and sunny and I wanted to run the Katrina Lake Loop. Like an idiot, I forgot how hot I get and wore a tshirt instead of a tank top. And I tried to do a Magic Mile at the beginning (I only managed a 12:02, which is a far cry from the 10:18s I had last fall). Also, the straps on my sports bra wouldn’t stay up and the excessive bounce was a problem 😳😳 I was having trouble catching my breath, and made the decision to call the run just past the 2 mile mark, before I got to the big hill. I walked back to the car, and tried to go fast. I managed a pace of 18:58, which is pretty fast for me.

March 12 was also nice and warm, and I did manage to do my whole scheduled run. I skipped my Thursday and Saturday runs (more excuses) but Sunday, I was determined to get my revenge on the Loop, despite the high winds. I did it, and I mostly didn’t freeze (I was really missing that 65° by then) It was good to have confirmation that I’m not going to die during my 10K this weekend, even though I probably won’t be setting any PRs.

In other news: chipmunks are back!!
King
03101F92-5B52-49CA-A248-184D0E16864D.jpg

Rocky
8B467FC3-C6E8-4DDC-ABED-F683826B4AEC.jpg

Happy
FDCD1C1A-05EB-4D28-AF09-63C4393D752B.jpg

I’ve been doing costume-y things!
First, not exactly a costume, but I got a dress for one of the spring Dapper Days!
0EE1192B-C180-4EBB-872A-639E7BB2CA41.jpg

For the Lion King 10 Miler—I wanted something reminiscent of the fabric patterns used by the Broadway performers, and I found this neat pattern on my favorite dress site, and got a matching headband, too.
26C43F07-DC3D-414B-9ED8-3A2E99E9A253.jpg

For the Springtime 10K, since I’m not a huge Up fan (I prefer Pixar movies that make me cry toward the end, not gut punch me right out of the gate), so I’m reusing my Lilo & Stitch costume from W&D 2022, but I got a matching headband for myself, and got a new outfit for Stitch.
84065CE8-3AC4-4E7D-88CC-4BE3A3469B49.jpg

For the W&D 5K, since it’s Muppet themed, I did a search for Muppet Disneybounds for ideas and got really inspired by some of the Animal bounds. My grandparents and I agree—the wig really makes this costume work 🤣🤣 I just need to trim the bangs so they don’t stab me in the eyes
A651CCFE-4C4A-414F-A3CC-76FD118CDE55.jpg

For the 10K, I had to go with Dr Facilier—this will also be my costume for the MK Halloween party. I created the fabric patterns for the clothes myself, and had them made by the same company that does my dresses. I reused my Maleficent staff, but changed out the ball for one that will glow purple.
0C00CDB6-FFB5-4EB9-AD0E-F48D9D7C962C.jpg

For the W&D Half, I’ll be going as Minnie in her outfit from Chef Mickey’s. I have the ear headband I wore in DL, and a little chef hat that fits on it. I still need to work on the apron a little bit.
8F5215CE-F697-41EE-BB9B-04B838A94324.jpg

For Marathon Weekend, as soon as someone mentioned 50s cheerleaders and it clicked. My outfit from the DL was really comfortable (and adaptable to cold temps), plus I got a bunch of compliments 😊😊, so I ordered 3 more shirts and 3 more skirts in the same style in some fun color combinations, and some adhesive felt in multiple colors, and I’m pretty much all set.
0D4843B9-EC0F-4BF8-BFD1-A3723A098CE8.jpg

Your costumes all look fantastic and I am so jealous of all of your preparations! I've still got work to do on my one costume for Springtime!

Hot Dash 10K

I didn’t die, I didn’t freeze, and I didn’t come in last.

I managed to get up and out the door only 15 minutes later than I planned to, which was fine because I always build extra time in. I got downtown and parked with plenty of time, and went in and picked up my bib. I ate my waffle and got myself all ready to go. I turned in my gear bag and headed to the start.

I’m not in shape to race for time, so I just set my intervals to 30/45, and tried to stick to them as much as possible. I skipped some walk breaks on downhills to balance out skipping run breaks on some of the uphills.

I don’t really have a lot to report from the race, except for a few Minnesota facts that were posted, Burma-Shave style, along the course:
  • What is the ratio of boats to people in Minnesota? 1:6
  • What does the word “Minnesota” mean? It’s a Siouan word meaning “Cloudy Water”
  • How many Boeing 747s can fit inside the Mall of America? 32–it’s huge, plane-ly (the pun was included on the sign)
  • What flavor is the state muffin? Blueberry

There was also a joke that I had to capture 😂😂
6795B00C-38A7-4046-80FB-A9BC883D6369.jpg

Other than that, here’s some pictures!
Minneapolis Skyline from the Plymouth Ave bridge over the Mississippi
88F33318-8D7D-419E-B555-E80B622F8FC0.jpg

Grain Belt Beer sign
486ED070-0F14-4DC9-B139-10DA4B020360.jpg

Oven Mitt Mountain was a really big hill in Mile 4
20B3122E-4AB3-4368-B45B-33051EC51B63.jpg

Gold Medal Flour sign on the Mill City Museum behind the Guthrie Theatre (at the top of Oven Mitt Mountain)
C8FCB34D-F391-4AB5-8F98-FC18A11EA2E4.jpg

Competing Pillsbury Flour sign across the river from Gold Medal Flour
97869120-CF3E-4A3C-B607-DA092F39799A.jpg

Stone Arch Bridge over the Mississippi River, which was about half of Mile 6. You come off the bridge onto cobblestones, which were not fun. Then you turn onto a brick road (reddish, not yellow 😉) that was also not fun to run on, but better than the cobbles.
D2ED16C5-CB6F-4D7B-976A-AE252BBE4040.jpg

I wanted to finish really strong, and I guess I did, comparatively, but I just couldn’t find the lung capacity to keep it up for very long. Here’s my medal!
517E75D5-17A9-4E1A-8B3C-A67D6DD81ABB.jpg

Here’s my official results and my watch results.
A4C04E6E-5665-412E-9480-E532E0F74562.jpg
535C6023-61FF-4FAE-9B65-3C25DA38C11D.jpg

I would do this race, or another race from this location again, there’s a nice place with seating and a coffee shop (and fireplaces!) to hang out pre/post race, with attached parking ramp. However, I probably wouldn’t use the parking ramp again because it took a literal hour to get out of there! It would’ve been even worse if I hadn’t been able to maneuver myself around a post to cut through the spot in front of my car, instead of having to back out and go all the way to the end of the row and back up. I made a stop on the way home to pick up a shirt from DSG, and then hit Culver’s for lunch, because I was starving. I was also pretty chilled, despite having switched to a dry shirt and sitting in a heated car for an hour and a half, so the hot bath when I got home felt good. I’m going to take it easy for the rest of the day, and I’m not looking forward to shoveling snow tomorrow (but the snow total forecast has been revised downward, so that’s a positive)

Great job on the race! Enjoyed the photos. I was wondering how many people even know about Burma Shave any more.

I was also pretty chilled, despite having switched to a dry shirt and sitting in a heated car for an hour and a half,
For a similar reason, I discovered that my car's heating system only goes up to 83 F. After that, it calls it "max" and you can't turn up the temperature any more! Sometimes that just isn't enough...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts