I'm very confused!

tll

Earning My Ears
The more I read, the more confused I get. I want to plan a trip for Dec. 2013 and plan to stay in a deluxe resort. It will be just my husband and I, 63 (him) and 58. We've been one other time to Disney World, many times to Disneyland. I want to make this a very special trip, my husband has early onset Alzheimers, he is doing okay for now, however, each time I plan a trip I wonder if it will need to be our last.

I was leaning towards the Poly, one of my criteria being a monorail resort for convenience. However, after reading about breakdowns on the monorail, I'm wondering if I should rethink resorts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would love to stay at AKL, however, I'm afraid it would be just too inconvenient.

Have you considered the Beach Club, Yacht Club or the Boardwalk? They are lovely resorts that give you easy access to two parks instead of one.

After 25 WDW vacations and as many to Disneyland, I think AKL is a fine choice. I've done several monorail resort vacations and I don't find it any more convenient for adults than the bus system.

I have stayed at AKL/AKV for 3 vacations and its a very special resort with bus service to all 4 parks.

I can't remember how long the bus ride was out to AKL, would it be a pain to go back to the resort after a park, clean up and then back to a resort or park for dinner?

There can be transportation issues at any resort and no resort has great transportation to every park.

Don't let transportation reports bother you. For the most part we've had great transportation to all the theme parks from everywhere we've stayed whether it was by monorail, bus, or boat.

I'd go with the theme of the resort that appeals the most to you, or if you want to be close to MK or Epcot, a resort close to one of those. Otherwise, it really doesn't make that much difference IMHO. REALLY!

I love both Poly and AKL. If you plan to relax in the room much a room at Poly might be more comfy. Take a look at the pictures.

Bring $$ for a cab if transportation starts to bother you. Its easy an doesn't cost that much in the scheme of things. I like a cab or rental car for traveling resort to resort, for DD, water parks and mini golf.

Have a great vacation!

I can't remember how long the bus ride was out to AKL, would it be a pain to go back to the resort after a park, clean up and then back to a resort or park for dinner?

No, not really, but it all depends on how much time you give yourself :) And that's true whevever you stay!

maybe consider a stay at bay lake tower? get a studio or 1BR...it's a short walk to the MK (less than 15 minutes)...you wait for park buses at the contemporary and can use the MK bus hub or monorail to hop to other resorts if you have dinner plans.

(a hotel room at the contemporary would also work.)

I think you will have a wonderful and very special time at the Poly. Take a look at http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/

This website has so much information on the Polynesian Resort. If you can swing the cost, consider a club level room. The club level staff are experts on how to relate with different types of people. They will make you feel like gold in exactly the way you want to be treated. And, you'll know exactly which building your room would be in.

The Polynesian still has the boat that goes to MK. That is a very pleasant ride.

Have you considered the Beach Club, Yacht Club or the Boardwalk? They are lovely resorts that give you easy access to two parks instead of one.

The Polynesian has DIRECT access to both monorail loops. It is a short walk to the TTC and the Epcot monorail, no switching loops like with the GF and CR.

The more I read, the more confused I get. I want to plan a trip for Dec. 2013 and plan to stay in a deluxe resort. It will be just my husband and I, 63 (him) and 58. We've been one other time to Disney World, many times to Disneyland. I want to make this a very special trip, my husband has early onset Alzheimers, he is doing okay for now, however, each time I plan a trip I wonder if it will need to be our last.

I was leaning towards the Poly, one of my criteria being a monorail resort for convenience. However, after reading about breakdowns on the monorail, I'm wondering if I should rethink resorts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would love to stay at AKL, however, I'm afraid it would be just too inconvenient.

this is actually a dilemma but for me, it would be a monorail resort. akl is incredible. i can't wait to go back one day and we think about it all the time. but i do think that now with kidani, akl is inconvenient. :worried: we stayed there about 4 years ago and the bus transportation was really not bad. then we went to visit about 2 years ago after kidani was built and the added stop at kidani added nearly 15 mins each way. :scared1: i was shocked. it was about a 5 minute ride, 5 minutes to board everyone, and 5 minutes back. what a bummer.

we love poly the most of any resort on property. the ambience is amazing and the location is fabulous.

if you are really concerned this might be your last trip together, and your interest is convenience, then i would choose the poly. then, IF your dh is up to another trip... do akl that trip, just knowing that the location is less convenient but the experience is not able to be replicated.

AKL is a lovely resort. We've had 2 stays there. We typically take a mid day break and go back to a park at night. AKL is the furthest from MK, but the Epcot or DHS are maybe 15 min bus ride, and ak is 5 min.

WL is in the same price range, and is also a great resort with easy access to MK via nice boat ride, and also has a boat to Contemporary resort. And easy access to the other MK area resorts for dining.

Have a wonderful vacay.

My DH & I stayed at AKL this past September. We went to a park in the morning, stayed until lunch, then went back to AKL. We hung around the lodge for a couple hours, then headed out to dinner via bus. We did this every day of our vacation with no problems.

We absolutely loved AKL, this was our first stay there & it won't be our last.

Have a lovely time with your DH, my father had the same disease. He went with the family several times to WDW. Good memories were made.

If ease of transportation is key, my suggestions, in order, are: anything on the monorail line, Boardwalk, Yacht Club/Beach Club.

Personally, I won't stay at AKL/AKV for the simple fact that it is too far out for me.

DBF (64) and I (51) are regular WDW goers, and here is our $.02: If mobility is not an issue, the BWI is great. Easy to EP and DHS walking or by boat, with the option of walking thru EP for monorail to MK or taking a bus to MK; lots of eating choices for sit down meals, and easy walk to EP for all sorts of CS options; BWI a tad better for older w/o kids, in our opinion. If the walking so uch is perhaps not your thing, then it's the Poly, hands down. Can't beat the ambience and atmosphere; easy monrail to EP & MK & close bus transportation to anywhere else; wishes from your room (we love 3rd floor Tahiti TPV!); many eating choices within a short distance.

We have some medical challenges that we have to accommodate at WDW so feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

I have stayed at almost all of the DIsney resorts...not at GF, CBR, CSR but all others. We had some of the worst bus service at the Polyneisan!! It would have been better to just walk over to the TTC and take their buses to DHS and AK vs waiting for the buses at the Polynesian!!!
And the monorail has been having issues more and more often...drives me nutty!!!
I love staying at AKL....yes, it's a bit further removed, but I've always had good bus service there.
I own DVC at both BWV and BLT. BW would be a great spot for you...the ability to either walk or boat to two different parks is wonderful. YC and BC are also very good for that same reason.

We stayed at AKL for the first time this past summer and LOVED it. I was very nervous about bussing and the timing of getting to/from resort and parks. I was pleasantly surprised. We had a wonderful experience over the course of our 10 day stay. Yes, it's a tad further to MK, but we didn't notice a huge time difference to the other parks (much closer to AK than other resorts--it's only 5 min. away). The extra time to MK wasn't that much in the grand scheme of things. The perk of staying at AKL is that you get to be at Disney and then the bonus of a mini African vacation at the same time. It was wonderful! I wouldn't hesitate to stay at AKL again (in fact, I would prefer to stay there) and this is coming from someone who has transportation as a high priority on my list (efficient bus scheduling/pick up, timing to get to parks, etc.).

Thanks everyone for the input. Mobility isn't an issue at all. I will take all your info into consideration. Just starting the process so I will have a lot of questions I'm sure.

For my DW and I, if we were going just us... we would do the YC or BC. You can walk into EPCOT at any time, and it it is easily our favorite. Their is a boat to HS.

This also puts you in walking/boating distance from 5 or 6 of best restaurants in WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter