• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm having an issue(this is a long one)

Princess49

<font color=CC3333>It's a great big beautiful tomo
This will seem very silly to probably everyone who reads this... but to me its SOOO important!!! Let me start by letting you know our normal situation... we fly to WDW & the first two times together we had park hoppers, and the third time we were purchasing an AP for the first time.(so to waste a full day on a hopper or to start the AP early for just the night seemed silly to us) On the first night we go see a dinner show- we actually didnt get to see the Luau the 1st time due to weather (can't remember what I did other than cry:( ) The second time we saw the Luau & the third time we saw Hoop dee doo. The very first morning we go to MK & have breakfast at Crystal Palace... I walk towards the gates at MK & (of course) start crying- becuase to me the epitome of WDW is walking down Main Street. That's how we have always started our trips! This time, I call to perhaps see Mickeys BBQ- but decide against it & choose to go see the new & improved Spirit of Aloha. GREAT!! no problem right?
WRONG!!!
There is no show the night we get there!! It's a Sunday!! I dont know what to do! I feel like if I go to MK the night before the first morning it will ruin the whole crystal palace in the morning light with our favorite breakfast in WDW. But then again I feel like if I go to another park it won't be our normal intro to WDW. I am sick over this.... I don't know what to do. I don't want to spend our first night there just sitting around eating together. I thought of chef mickeys but we didn't love that the second time we did it... Please help me... I sound like a crazy person- but anyone else who has a little ritual hopefully knows how important it all is! (unless I'm the only sad soul with this ridiculous idea :) ) Thanks in advance for any advice & I'm SOOO sorry this is so long!

I totally understand! When it comes to WDW my husband and I are adamant about maintaining all of our traditions (and there are A LOT of them.) One of ours is also Crystal Palace for breakfast (the Best!) so I do understand. Are there any other dinner shows that you could still make reservations for? The only other thing I could suggest would be going to DTD and eating somewhere there or at one of the character dinners at the resorts (Chef Mickey's was good the last time we were there 05/02). That would give you that "taste" of Disney that most of us are dying for by the time we get there. I even have to buy something at the Disney Airport Store because I don't think I'll make it ALL the way to the resort without buying something Disney (another tradition:D ) Hope you can find a plan that works for you and that you have a great trip!

I sort of understand - we had a ritual too of always going to MK first but this last trip we followed my daughter's band schedule and went to EPCOT first...it was weird...but not the end of the world.

But since you want to do the show the night before thing and the Crystal Palace morning ritual seems important to you...how about a different show.

Have you seen Cirque du Soleil? It isn't a dinner show but you can certainly see the show and then eat at Planet Hollywood or any number of West Side/Downtown Disney spots.
I know we went to see Cirque on a Sunday night so its generally on that night (unless your trip happens to be during an extended break of theirs).

Another possibility would be to do something like resort visits or the Boardwalk (enjoying the entertainment there) and then saving MK for the next morning.

Liz

Thanks so much for the advice... we did see la nouba last time & my BF was so freaked out by the mimes (LOL) that he swears we can never go again (it prob didn't help that we were dead center front row!) I checked the dates for shows-- seems like none are on Sunday night... We are actually staying at the Boardwalk again & are so farmiliar with the entertainment there that at first I thought that wasn't a good idea... BUT I turned 21 since our last trip-- so maybe we'll go to jelly rolls since I've been the one holding us back ;) Or perhaps a character dinner- I just heard of the Cinderella dinner at GF-- maybe that one... we shall see- it's not the end of the world, this I know... :( ( I keep telling myself that, not sure I believe me!) Well thanks again for the advice & any new advice too!:D

hmmm...how about eating somewhere in DD and trying disneyquest.

or
how about making it a resort day and just stay at your resort, swim and eat at a restaraunt there

or

how about visit some other resorts

or

how about going to ohanas and watching EWP from the beach at the poly

We went to check out the Wilderness Lodge resort one year when we arrived early. It's very nice inside. You can pick up a Hidden Mickey game at the front desk to while away the evening. There is an awesome fireplace in the lobby! I've also heard that the restaraunt is pretty good, too. We ate at the little counter service place downstairs.

This may not be as fancy as you'd like to get the first day, but...

What about just relaxing and going to Ft. Wilderness and eating at Trail's End Buffet, and then attending the campfire show and movie? If you get there early enough, the petting zoo is neat, and you can see the horses from the parks at the stables, or go for a hayride. Rent a tandem bike and go for a bike ride. Or a watermouse.

The character dinner at 1900 Park Fare was nice, too.

I agree with the previous suggestion of Wilderness Lodge and the hidden Mickey game, and then watching the Electric Water Parade. Canyon Cafe is great fun to eat at- lots of interaction.

I've heard the Cape May clambake is wonderful, but have not tried it yet (it's on my to-do list, though!)

The waterparks (according to rumor) sell discounted tickets after 3pm.

Just a few suggestions off the top of my head. :) Have fun!

Thanks again for all of the suggestions!! FYI--- the clam bake at Cape May Cafe... AWESOME!! If you like seafood-- especially shellfish- you will love this. My BF just kept filling up buckets with muscles & clams we sat there for at least 2 hours. & the dessert was a great assortment too-- (save room becuase we were both too full!) I'll definately look into all of these ideas-- thanks again!:D

Just my $.02, but 'Ohana is great, and so is Boma. If you were interested in DTD, The House of Blues has the best chicken sandwich I ever tasted. There are many opportunities for wonderful dinners. There may not be a show, but shows are available. I'm sure whatever you choose will be terrific.

Ciao,
Mort.

I think I would go to DD. The Adventurers Club is great, you would have a good time. If you dh is into video games you could go to DisneyQuest.

I was going to suggest going over to AKL. Get a cab and go over for the storytelling or lodge tour. Have dinner at Boma or Jiko.

We dont have any traditions (yet) being that we have only been there once. But why not California Grill in time for the fireworks?

poohangel

Hi! Would going to dinner at MGM and seeing Fantasmic be okay? Also, we had dinner at Jikos at AKL. Great Food & the resort was beautiful...you can see animals there, too. (If you go to dinner there, I think you may need a PS in order to get on property of AKL)

Boardwalk is fun at nite. You can walk around Boardwalk, Yacht Club and Beach Club too. Tons of restaurants, beautiful grounds, boats, bikes -- you'll be too busy to notice missing the MK! I love this whole area but am limited in my enjoyment of it because I have two mean little kids, ie, bosses, who complain if we are just "hanging out." If it's just you and your sweetie you are free to just hang out! When my two are off to college I plan to just sit around on benches because I CAN!

Another plan is to go NEAR the MK -- head for the Contemporary. Eat, shop, ride the monorail and watch the fireworks as a sort of "preview!"

Have fun, whatever you decide! Make some NEW traditions...

We had a 7pm ressie at 1900 Park Fare with Cinderella and Prince Charming. It was great. Than we went out on the beach and watched EWP and the changing of the castle.

It was a magical night and even though our plane didn't land until 5pm, I would have told you we had been there for days already.:p

Good luck
Sandy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter