I'm going to disney tokyoooo!!!!! :D so where do I begin?!

Vallie

DIS Veteran
So my boyfriend and I are living in Australia for a year and I've been feelin the disney itch soooooooo we booked tokyo for 8 days today... 4 of which will be spent at Disney!!! We'll be going in November, so I have lots of planning time,

Can someone pass along some websites for both Disney and Tokyo itself... or any suggestions of what we HAVE to see

So far we have...

See the Harushuku (I think i spelt that wrong) Girls
See a sumu wrestling match
Check out the city
Hit up a kareoke bar!
See some temples/gardens... what are the must see ones?

Thanks so much!!!

So my boyfriend and I are living in Australia for a year and I've been feelin the disney itch soooooooo we booked tokyo for 8 days today... 4 of which will be spent at Disney!!! We'll be going in November, so I have lots of planning time,

Can someone pass along some websites for both Disney and Tokyo itself... or any suggestions of what we HAVE to see

So far we have...

See the Harushuku (I think i spelt that wrong) Girls
See a sumu wrestling match
Check out the city
Hit up a kareoke bar!
See some temples/gardens... what are the must see ones?

Thanks so much!!!

Harajuku
Sumo
Karaoke

;)

Jack Spence from Allears.Net did a very thorough Tokyo Disney blog back in 2008. A few of the shows have changed, and the new Monsters Inc., Ride and Go Seek is very popular, but everything else in the blog is reasonably current. (Link here.)

I bought the Kevin Yee book, Tokyo Disney Made Easy, but I didn't find it very useful. At the resort, I used only the park maps and brochures. Elsewhere in Japan, I used Frommer's Japan plus The Lonely Planet Japanese Phrase Book. (Ironically, we saw lots of other tourists using the Lonely Planet Guide to Japan along with the Frommer's Japanese Phrase Book.)

For your adventure in Tokyo, I would recommend using a relatively current guide book to help narrow down your selection of temples and shrines to visit.

You should also do a bit of research about sumo events -- If I remember correctly, they don't compete every week, but in big tournaments every 2-3 months.

You didn't mention Kabuki theater. While I didn't get a chance to see it myself, it's apparently a great fan-participation experience. We have a Japanese friend who is a huge fan, and next time I visit, she's going to take me out to one of the shows.

:laughing: a spelling lesson is a great place to start! I knew I spelt a couple of those wrong (woops!)

Thanks for all the great info and links. I will be going to pick up one of those books soon, I just have to find a local bookstore in this area first :)

Are most of the rides at Disney in English or Japanese?

Unfortunately, November Sumo tournanent is in ***uoka (my hometown :goodvibes). It's like 1.5 hour flight from tokyo... Tokyo touraments are held in Jan, May and Sept.

The signs for the attractions will be both in Japanese and English. Most audio on the attractions are in Japanese there's some English here and there but not much. You can ask a Cast Member and they can give you a little pamphlet explaining the story of the attraction in English.

Karaoke places are all over the place and a lot are open 24 hours. Last time I did it was from 5am-8am was so much fun!

Are most of the rides at Disney in English or Japanese?
The signs will have both. As for the attractions, the dialog is in Japanese, but the singing is virtually always in English (with the notable exception of Sindbad's Voyage). It's quite amusing to witness all the characters talking in Japanese, then singing in perfect English on POTC, The Enchanted Tiki Room, Splash Mountain, and Mermaid Lagoon Theater.

Some of the theaters have specific rows with headphones to hear the shows in English and Mandarin.

My experience with Tokyo (and Disney) was there was very little English spoken. I wasn't expecting there to be to be honest but I was surprised at just how little I came across. Both me and my friend can speak Japanese so we got by though.

If you're ever in a district called Asakusa that's worth a look, we stayed there for the week and loved it :cloud9: I'd go back in a heartbeat. Something a little unknown is something called 'print clubs' which is a photobooth type thing where you pose for photos, select a few and graffiti them with pens, stamps and all that, then print them off. It's something fun and different to do

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter