I'm Bugged!!!

Stinson

Mouseketeer
Tonight, after 10:00 p.m., I received a telephone call from the jerks at TIME SHARES FOR SALE BY OWNER, 3257 Main St # C, Green Bay, Wisconsin, asking me if I wanted to sell my timeshare or exchange time in my timeshare. DVC is my only timeshare. I have never contacted these morons and when I asked this particular moron how he knew I owned a timeshare, he said it was public record. I understand that we must all work to support our families, but calling after 10:00 p.m. is just way beyond unreasonable.

Did you let him get far enough to tell you it would be an upfront fee or $499 (or whatever this weeks fee is) just to list it for sale with them. They "have a buyer" willing to pay some outlandish price. I'm sure that would have made you even happier, LOL.

I thought 9:00 pm was the legal cut off time for solicitation calls, by law.

Thank goodness our state (Indiana) passed a new law effective Jan 1st. mandating strict adherence to a no-call listing of numbers, with stiff penalities possible.

We signed up for the no-call list in October, effective immediately Jan 1st. We haven't received a single call since then. It's been great.

Meanwhile, I think the call you got is atrocious. You probably should report it. Just my 2 cents.

Call your Attorney General (or write) and complain. Make sure they can solicit in your state to begin with. Then, if this is an attorney doing this, contact the Wisconsin Bar Association, and file a complaint.

Trust me, you will feel so good once you do...

That's ridiculous.

Unfortunately, it is public record, but, over the last 10 years, I can count on one hand the number of times that we've been contacted either over the phone or via mail.

Definitely file a complaint.

I have received similar calls like this. I thank them for calling and tell them I actually was interested selling and would they buy my 490 pts for $ 50,000.00. Usually I get no answer and tell them to politely not bother me any more.

Ed

Our DVC memberships may be "public record", but I don't believe the public record is where these sales agents get the TNs to call. We have been members since 1999, and have NEVER gotten any calls or mail asking if we are interested in selling our timeshare.

I will never be able to prove this, but I believe these sales people buy their lists - for example, perhaps from a timeshare users group, magazine publishers/distributors, from timeshare developers (lists of those who toured/bought). There are literally dozens of ways for a person to get on such a list. Ever sign up for one of those "free" vacation offers?? JMHO. YMMV.

I'm hoping that there will soon be a national "do not call" list. Even though these timeshare salespeople don't bother us, there are a whole lot of others who do.

TUG does not market or sell their membership lists nor does Timesharing today. The problem is that it's very easy to mine the info from adds, BBS and public records. Someone goes in and records the info for Orlando then starts selling it to everyone they can.

Do be careful as these companies can be pretty slick. One person just posted on TUG that they actually were sent a contract with a buyers name on it, all they had to do was send in the upfront money. Obviously, the buyer would evaporate once the money was in hand. Many have been duped by this scam over the last few years. The trouble with quoting the high price as Ed has, most companies would go along and say no proble, we can get that price for you, just send in your money.

Not to tarry too far from the initial post, but.....

Caller-ID is the best investment I ever made. Standing rule in our house is "If you don't recognize the name, or number, LET IT RING". Legitimate callers will leave a message. Telemarketers NEVER do.

Carol, I hear your message, but I hope you're wrong. I tend to agree with Dean. The privacy laws enacted last year (remember those notices from your credit card companies ?) give individuals the right to know (and dictate) how their private information is being divulged.

It is actually quite easy to search the Orange County property web site, key in on Disney, get a name, and then do a name search via the "white pages" to get a phone number.

Sad but true. You get the good with the bad on the internet.

Hopefully, more states will follow what Indiana is doing relative to "no call lists". The current legislation is very weak.

CRobin,

The reason I know the name of the caller is because I have caller ID, but I never expected a telemarketer to call that late. That's why I didn't check the caller ID before answering. (Well, actually, with 4 kids, I often answer without checking).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter