I'm at WDW solo right now...here's what I'm learning

Sure, the first time was Big Thunder, although I kind of get that because the rows aren't huge and every other time I've ridden the cast members have put me on my own. This morning was Expedition Everest, which is kind of more ridiculous given that there's an actual line specifically for single riders to fill in the gaps!
Thanks! I did those too and I do find it interesting that with a single rider line it wouldn't be to surprising to the other guests. I think I was alone on big thunder too.

I've been in Orlando for work so I have done a few solo days here and there and I agree 100% with your post. I felt like I was so efficient in getting things done, even though the parks have been crowded (it's Spring Break). I did feel a little lonely and have some nostalgia because my family would come to Disney every year for Spring Break when I was a kid. But the loneliness feeling only lasted about the first day. After that, it was great just talking to random people in line or even Cast Members.

I also agree about the time in between FP's or shows. That was somewhat difficult to manage but I usually just ended up waling about more. (More Fitbit steps! LOL). There's so much to see at Disney that you don't always notice when you're rushing from one attraction to the next.

I've really enjoyed my solo trip. I'm coming back next month with my boyfriend so I'm hoping to take things a little more slow so I can enjoy everything.

I really enjoyed reading this thread. I am considering my first solo trip in Feb/Mar of 2019. My husband doesn't love to travel and my Daughter just doesn't love Disney as much as I do. I love the thought of doing things at my own pace and scheduling in some down time. I was also thinking of scheduling in a tour or two that my daughter was never interested in. I was also thinking of choosing some dining locations (would probably do dlxdp) that my daughter wouldn't have eaten at. I think that planning a down day at DS and taking in a movie and shopping would be great too. I have always done the Memory Maker on previous trips as I love the Magic Shots, but I just wasn't really sure about doing them solo. I am sure that it would bother me more than anyone else, but still. I was thinking of a dessert party too, but I wasn't sure how that would be solo either.

I really enjoyed reading this thread. I am considering my first solo trip in Feb/Mar of 2019. My husband doesn't love to travel and my Daughter just doesn't love Disney as much as I do. I love the thought of doing things at my own pace and scheduling in some down time. I was also thinking of scheduling in a tour or two that my daughter was never interested in. I was also thinking of choosing some dining locations (would probably do dlxdp) that my daughter wouldn't have eaten at. I think that planning a down day at DS and taking in a movie and shopping would be great too. I have always done the Memory Maker on previous trips as I love the Magic Shots, but I just wasn't really sure about doing them solo. I am sure that it would bother me more than anyone else, but still. I was thinking of a dessert party too, but I wasn't sure how that would be solo either.
I took a solo trip a few year ago and bought the memory maker - I had a blast. I took pics with characters, magic shots, anytime I saw a PPP. No one said a thing. I wasn't sure at first either and then decided I just wanted to be a kid again and did it. I've never done a dessert party - not sure its worth it to me to be honest. But others said it was no problem. Go and do what you want - its your vacation!

I have a solo trip coming up in a couple of months and have both Memory Maker and the HEA dessert party. Memory Maker is definitively better than any selfies I would attempt to take! I have done this on a previous solo trip and no one thinks anything of it. I have never done a dessert party solo before, but my only concerns are that someone tries to snag my table or I forget which table is mine while I’m at the buffet. Otherwise, I’ll be too busy stuffing my face and playing with my tablet to care what’s going on around me.

Good for you!!!! I think we all make more out of doing things solo in our head than most people judging us for it. I'm.not up to solo travel yet, but within the past year I went to the theatre to see Tchaikovsky's The Sleeping Beauty Ballet alone and it was liberating. I'm guessing you feel the same way. Good for you!!!

Nobody cares that you'e alone and you shouldn't either. I've now ridden a good portion of the rides at MK and EPCOT and at no point had anyone remotely cared that I've been alone. No weird stares (that I've noticed) or comments...No one cares. It's a small world solo? No one cares. Photopass photographers? No one cares. Definitely don't let this be the reason to NOT go to WDW. Granted I haven't done any table service meals alone but I imagine this would be much the same.

If I could pass on just one bit of advice to solo visitors it would be this. I spent waaay too much time fretting over what others would think about a 50ish woman visiting the parks alone. Nobody's looking at me-they're much too busy enjoying their own vacation to worry about what I'm doing.

I just began trying solo dining last fall. I still struggle with self consciousness a bit but I'm working on it!

IF it is in the budget, consider doing the Wild Africa Trek. Best tour and they take photos of you and the animals backstage on the trek. You have your own private safari vehicle and stop off the ride path to take photos. Then there is also a stop at the Boma (cabin) across from the Flamingo pool for a snack and bathroom break before finishing the tour. You are on stage during the normal KS ride too. Part of the proceeds from the tour is donated to the conservation fund. You will be given a stone to vote which animal you would like to support after the tour.

I took a solo trip a few year ago and bought the memory maker - I had a blast. I took pics with characters, magic shots, anytime I saw a PPP. No one said a thing. I wasn't sure at first either and then decided I just wanted to be a kid again and did it. I've never done a dessert party - not sure its worth it to me to be honest. But others said it was no problem. Go and do what you want - its your vacation!

My daughter always says I am more of a kid at Disney than what she is. To me that is the fun in going!! We have to adult enough it is nice to not really have to for awhile. I really do love the magic shots and I think it could be fun to try and get as many different ones as possible! When doing this with my daughter in the past she would get tired of getting pictures taken pretty quick, so would only do just so many!

I took a solo trip a few year ago and bought the memory maker - I had a blast. I took pics with characters, magic shots, anytime I saw a PPP.
I go solo often. My Sept trip will be my first with an AP which includes Memory Maker. I didn't even think about getting pics with characters until I read this. I'm going to do it!

If I could pass on just one bit of advice to solo visitors it would be this. I spent waaay too much time fretting over what others would think about a 50ish woman visiting the parks alone. Nobody's looking at me-they're much too busy enjoying their own vacation to worry about what I'm doing.
I see this concern often here on the boards. I'm with you! No one is paying much - if any - attention to other people while they are in the parks. As a solo traveler WE notice what other people are doing...

Great again to read so many awesome replies.

Well, as I write this I sit here in the Pop food court squeezing out the last bit of value from my refillable mug while I wait for the not-so-magical express. And I have to say it's the hardest time I've ever had leaving WDW, but I guess that's having nobody to share out the "Disney Depression" with!

It's been a truly fantastic holiday and the 2 weeks have gone by in the blink of an eye. I have no other real thoughts from my original post and still feel every bit as positive about the trip as I did on day 3.

I don't know when I'll be able to afford the next trip, but safe to say as soon as I can I'll be booking it without hesitation. I might even add a night or two...2 weeks never used to feel like long enough and despite blasting through everything so fast solo it still doesn't feel like enough.

I really do hope this inspires anyone sat on the fence to take the leap and give it a go. I think it's well worth it. Sure, it won't be for everyone, but if you're even remotely happy in your own company then I think it's worth a go.

IF it is in the budget, consider doing the Wild Africa Trek. Best tour and they take photos of you and the animals backstage on the trek. You have your own private safari vehicle and stop off the ride path to take photos. Then there is also a stop at the Boma (cabin) across from the Flamingo pool for a snack and bathroom break before finishing the tour. You are on stage during the normal KS ride too. Part of the proceeds from the tour is donated to the conservation fund. You will be given a stone to vote which animal you would like to support after the tour.
I would love this, I never saw this as something to do

Great again to read so many awesome replies.

Well, as I write this I sit here in the Pop food court squeezing out the last bit of value from my refillable mug while I wait for the not-so-magical express. And I have to say it's the hardest time I've ever had leaving WDW, but I guess that's having nobody to share out the "Disney Depression" with!

It's been a truly fantastic holiday and the 2 weeks have gone by in the blink of an eye. I have no other real thoughts from my original post and still feel every bit as positive about the trip as I did on day 3.

I don't know when I'll be able to afford the next trip, but safe to say as soon as I can I'll be booking it without hesitation. I might even add a night or two...2 weeks never used to feel like long enough and despite blasting through everything so fast solo it still doesn't feel like enough.

I really do hope this inspires anyone sat on the fence to take the leap and give it a go. I think it's well worth it. Sure, it won't be for everyone, but if you're even remotely happy in your own company then I think it's worth a go.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Can I ask how many park days did you do? Two weeks seems like a long time, but the 6 days I usually go for just flys by.. what all did you plan, days by the pool, Disney Springs?

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Can I ask how many park days did you do? Two weeks seems like a long time, but the 6 days I usually go for just flys by.. what all did you plan, days by the pool, Disney Springs?

I actually spent at least some of every day at the parks. I did Disney Springs for 2 half days, returned to the hotel for a few hours at around midday on about 5 of the days and did resort hopping for a couple of hours on about 3 of the days. No real time by the pool, so other than these things it was almost all parks. I made rope drop every day but one and did fireworks most of the nights but not all. I feel like I did everything I wanted to do several times over, but I definitely did *too* much in the sense that I actually loved the time where I was just soaking up the atmosphere. When I go back I'll make less of an effort to do repeat rides on Everest taking advantage of the single rider line, for example, and more time just wandering, sitting, and watching the world go by.

This is a great idea, I'd be very keen to give this a go next time!

I actually spent at least some of every day at the parks. I did Disney Springs for 2 half days, returned to the hotel for a few hours at around midday on about 5 of the days and did resort hopping for a couple of hours on about 3 of the days. No real time by the pool, so other than these things it was almost all parks. I made rope drop every day but one and did fireworks most of the nights but not all. I feel like I did everything I wanted to do several times over, but I definitely did *too* much in the sense that I actually loved the time where I was just soaking up the atmosphere. When I go back I'll make less of an effort to do repeat rides on Everest taking advantage of the single rider line, for example, and more time just wandering, sitting, and watching the world go by.

It sure sounds like you had a great time. I have to ask did you get tired of the food? Can’t wait for my solo trip in October

It sure sounds like you had a great time. I have to ask did you get tired of the food? Can’t wait for my solo trip in October

Honestly yes and no. I felt like I was eating just for the sake of it on a couple of days, and when it's like that even things like the new food over at Pandora started to get a bit much, but having said that I mostly didn't mind it too much. I'll admit that my clothes feel a size smaller now though!!

Honestly yes and no. I felt like I was eating just for the sake of it on a couple of days, and when it's like that even things like the new food over at Pandora started to get a bit much, but having said that I mostly didn't mind it too much. I'll admit that my clothes feel a size smaller now though!!

In the past, I’ve done the Quick Serve Meal Plan, but next time I don’t think I’m going to do a meal plan, it was too much food.

In the past, I’ve done the Quick Serve Meal Plan, but next time I don’t think I’m going to do a meal plan, it was too much food.

I liked not having to think about paying for food but I did also find myself ordering the more expensive options to "make the most of it". I think on my next trip I probably would do the quick service plan again but I'd likely try to eat lunch earlier. I think a big part of my problem also was that I ended up eat lunch at 13:00ish, then not really feeling like dinner until quite late, and later still sometimes if I used a snack in the afternoon. On a couple of nights I ate when I got back to the hotel after the fireworks which probably isn't the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter