Illnesses and Disney trips?

snickerboo

DIS Veteran
Crap. So it's 5 days til our trip and I can't get excited because all of the kids around here are starting to come down with the stomach flu which means it's in the school. When I get stomach flu, I end up in the hospital with an IV drip because I thorw up way past what the average person does and end up severely dehydrated. What are we going to do if we come down with it this week? Has anyone had to deal with this issue (getting really sick right before, en route to, or during your trip)? Stomach viruses are pretty short incubation so I don't expect we'll get it while there, I'm more worried about right before or at the start of the trip, and especially MNSSHP, since we paid so much extra for tickets and all the work that went into the costumes. Please send us some anti-sickness vibes. I'm going to be coating my kids in hand sanitizer between now and Thursday!

We just got back last weekend and my kids had all come down with it right before we left. My DD had it first on the Tuesday and then the boys got it. By Thursday night we thought we were in the clear (we were leaving Friday morning), but Friday my daughter woke up with it again. Just in time for the long drive to Florida. Anyways, we prepared for the worst, lots of bags, change of clothes, water, etc... She slept most of the way. At dinner in Pittsburgh at the Olive Garden she threw up abit, but she started feeling better abit and by the evening of the next day she felt much better.
Just tell your kids WASH WASH WASH your hands and keep them away from thier mouths. Lots of fluids, vitamin C and a few prayers! Hope for the best!
We had one trip that was ruined from a stomach bug caught while there! It is horrible, made more horrible because you think about all the money you spent to be stuck in a hotel room with a stomach bug! Could of done that at home! LOL!
Good luck and hopefully it passes right on over!:wizard:

I hate the flu. And will do anything to avoid it. My son had a bad stomach bug that last a week in the spring, it was beyond severe and I was afraid that the rest of us would get it. During one of our many trips to the doctor, I asked what was the best way to avoid it. And like Lisa stated...wash, wash and wash some more. We were told if all possible to dedicated a bathroom to the one that was sick and everyone else use a seperate one. After caring for my son after throwing up or diarrhea I washed both our hands really well. I am not a supporter of anti-bacterial soap but I use it at these time. I would lyson the toilet after he was done (everytime) and that was enough to prevent the rest of us from getting it. What I would do, is send a little travel sample of hand sanitizer (I don't use it either but would in this case) and tell them to use it after using the washroom or the water fountain. Hopefully that will be enough. But just in case here is some pixie dust for good health!pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

Sounds to me like you are covered. Keep Lysoling everything everywhere they go and keep washing your hands. My DD (6 at the time) got it night before we left 2 years ago. WE WERE FLYING!! She was sick all night and by some miracle - I think being excited for the trip - she perked up for the flight (I gave her gravol) and she made the 2.5 hour flight ok but first night there she was sick at HS and then second DD got it all night! We were on the dining plan too! Hard to enjoy a meal if you keep wondering if it will stay down. DH and I never got it but I bought those small travel lysol's and brought them - Mousekeeping does not have or use lysol - so we took every precaution.

You'll be ok, mind over matter sometimes! Think positive, eat well, and keep washing those hands!

Last January, my DS3 came down with the flu right in the middle of our trip. It wasn't so bad since it was a Saturday and raining all day, but we had Pirate & Princess Party tickets for that night. When I called about getting a refund, they told me that I would have to come in person to the guest services at Magic Kingdom and they would refund my money or give me tickets to another night. This wasn't a big deal, cause we were staying at WL, so my DH could stay with DS and I could go over. DS was devasted by the thought of missing the party, so he slept all day, didn't eat anything and we went anyway. I brought a few plastic bags in case he threw up, but he just had the dry weaves once or twice. He ended up falling back to sleep in his stroller. He didn't get the full effect of the party, but we did manage to go on 10 rides in less than 1 hour, so that was worth it to him.

That was the first trip that I took Lysol wipes and totally cleaned the room, I mean door knobs, phone, remotes, everything and it's the first time in 12 trips that we've had an illness. A CM in the gift shop told me that there was something going around because several people were pretty sick that day.

Fortunately the next day, he was like new. Kids bounce back so fast. I would have been in bed for 2 more days!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter