If you surprised your kids, how did it go?

We surprised our kiddos @ xmas 2011, for a Jan 2012 cruise. I made a puzzle they unwrapped and the four of them had to put it together to see the pic of the magic and words "cruising the magic Jan 21 2012" ;) They were pretty excited.

They only had a few weeks notice which was fab, this time they know it's planned for Feb 2014, they get to help in the "saving" for the trip.

After that they each opened a gift bag with shorts/tees/flip flops, they loved it.

I'm about to surprise my kiddos on Sunday. I can't believe they haven't figured it out (they are 5 and 8 ). My DH and I even discussed how to pull off the reveal in the car the other day. Then tonight someone told us to have fun on the cruise.

My kids are so clueless (they are just too sweet and innocent to believe anyone would be trying to trick them, I guess). I shouldn't be surprised. I got away with Christmas shopping for them while they tagged along last year. "Oh, you want that? I'll be sure to tell Santa! But this one is for your cousin." ;)

We are going to "visit" the Dream and then "decide" to cruise. I just hope they understand after the fact that that will NEVER happen again! It actually took planning on mommy's part, so don't expect to hop on the ship every time we visit Aunt Crystal in Merritt Island. :)

:rotfl: This cracked me up!

My kids are 5 and 8 also (and btw we are originally from Orlando!).

Please post when you come back and let us know how it went!!

The wife and I are surprising our children (DD 10 and DS 6) on the 11/3/12 Magic (Galveston departure) Western Caribbean sailing. Currently my cover story is similar to a few that I have read in this thread but I will share anyway. We have family in the Houston area that we visit often so we are going to combine a first night family dinner with a few days vacation in Galveston. I told them that our hotel is "on the water" quite literally as they are soon to learn. My DD is sharp and I believe she suspects something related to the trip because of the dresses my wife has purchased for her. But so far we have her convinced that on a couple of nights during vacation we will be enjoying a "dinner cruise" thus the need for her dresses. In addition, both grandmothers and one grandfather will be coming and the kids have no idea about that part of the trip, they just think we will be seeing them a couple of nights for dinner. I am fully confident that from this trip forward, my DD will never again trust me about vacation destinations.

We just paid for our first cruise today for the Jan 4th out of Galveston. We will tell them Christmas morning (not sure how yet) IF I can keep my mouth closed :sad2:

chimpwars said:
We just paid for our first cruise today for the Jan 4th out of Galveston. We will tell them Christmas morning (not sure how yet) IF I can keep my mouth closed :sad2:

That is the benefit of booking last minute. I only have to keep my mouth shut for a month :). I don't think I'll ever do this again though. I have found that the anticipation is just so much of the fun for our family.

This thread is funny and ironic to dinner conversation tonight with my girls.

So, our January cruise is a surprise Christmas present. I'm doing everything I can to keep it to myself even though I'm a constant planner and super excited. But, I've had to let a little of it slip...

A couple weeks ago, the 14 y/o comes telling me we have to go buy new clothes because her class is serving at their Jr/Sr Christmas formal. She tells me the date. I ponder it for a few minutes and decide to tell her we won't be home that date (I don't want to wait and have her be disappointed). I said it's a Christmas surprise and I'm not telling you any more. She keeps digging and asking around the family to see if she can get anyone to tell her anything.

Tonight at supper and very out of the blue, she says, "So where are we going on our cruise?" Since they know we have one planned for next summer, my 5 y/o DD says "Same place we went this year." and graciously adds the duh you idiot look to it. I added "Thought you knew that already." and changed the subject. :) Only 2 more months to keep the charade going!

My kids are so clueless (they are just too sweet and innocent to believe anyone would be trying to trick them, I guess). I shouldn't be surprised. I got away with Christmas shopping for them while they tagged along last year. "Oh, you want that? I'll be sure to tell Santa! But this one is for your cousin." ;)

This cracks me up! I do something similar. I let her put stuff in the basket and when she gets distracted later, I put half the bag in the closet for presents. Shopping at Disney store earlier this summer, she picked out a beach towel. I decided it would be perfect for a Xmas present since we're surprising them with the cruise so I got it. Later that night, she's showering and said she wanted her new towel. I played dumb and told her we didn't get it. She was very disappointed, but I think we will make up for it when she sees what Santa has brought. :cheer2:

Has anyone used the "Character Call" to surprise their kids? Just curious how on-time it is. We will be surprising our two boys Christmas morning. Their friends just returned from a Disney Cruise and have been bragging about how much fun they had, and my kids are hanging on their every word so I know they are going to love it. :banana::banana:

We tried to surprise my son, but I am finding out that he doesn't really care one way or the other. It doesn't matter if it is the cruise or special gift. With him, I have decided not to do it anymore, because he actually is more excited the closer we get to something he knows about.:thumbsup2

We had a scavenger hunt to surprise the DDs the day before we flew to FL. Keeping a secret for 7 months was the HARDEST thing in the world since I am a blabbermouth! We almost spilled the beans several times. It was the best thing in the world to see the look on their faces when they found out we were really leaving the next day! I think I finally qualified for "Mom of the Year"...or at least a got a few more cool points! The surprise and joy was worth the secret!

Here is the last part of the video we did of the girls!! Don't forget the video. You HAVE to relive that moment!

http://youtu.be/gUZZ5RRXIr4

Sorry for my big mouth coaching and the light! I am NOT a director OR a videographer! Enjoy!

We had a scavenger hunt to surprise the DDs the day before we flew to FL. Keeping a secret for 7 months was the HARDEST thing in the world since I am a blabbermouth! We almost spilled the beans several times. It was the best thing in the world to see the look on their faces when they found out we were really leaving the next day! I think I finally qualified for "Mom of the Year"...or at least a got a few more cool points! The surprise and joy was worth the secret!

Here is the last part of the video we did of the girls!! Don't forget the video. You HAVE to relive that moment!

Sorry for my big mouth coaching and the light! I am NOT a director OR a videographer! Enjoy!
That was awesome!!!!! Your girls are adorable.:goodvibes

We are surprising our kids Dec 8 out of Galveston! They think Mommy and Daddy are going on another Vacay w/o them. They are not happy about it! This way I can shop and pack and talk about the trip! Trying to tell them the morning we drive out what's happening! 6 weeks! I'm not good with secrets so we'll see!

LOVED this! Seeing how happy and excited they were was awesome! I definitely plan to video our surprise moment and hope to get that same reaction :yay:

Has anyone used the "Character Call" to surprise their kids? Just curious how on-time it is. We will be surprising our two boys Christmas morning. Their friends just returned from a Disney Cruise and have been bragging about how much fun they had, and my kids are hanging on their every word so I know they are going to love it. :banana::banana:

I signed up for one on Christmas morning -- the problem is I thought I had signed up for 9am, but my e-mail confirmation said 8am! I'm sure we'll all be awake but I'd hate to miss it!

We are surprising our kids Dec 8 out of Galveston! They think Mommy and Daddy are going on another Vacay w/o them. They are not happy about it! This way I can shop and pack and talk about the trip! Trying to tell them the morning we drive out what's happening! 6 weeks! I'm not good with secrets so we'll see!

Now this is one I have to try! My son, 6 years old, tells us all the time what a "waste of money" it is for us to go on vacation without him and his sister. This would be a perfect way to surprise him in particular.

We surprised my daughter with a 7th birthday trip to WDW. I went to the party at her school and then took her out to the car to drive home. In the car were my husband, my mom, my son and all of our suitcases. We made a wrapped box for her with layers of stuff (new bathing suit, sunglasses, Disney toys, etc.) with clue cards for each layer. She still didn't get it. We had to tell her out right and the reaction was just "Oh".

So anti-climactic and what a buzz kill! I think she might have been in shock, or didn't quite believe us or something. She seemed to finally get it when we got on the plane.

I am planning a trip in feb of 2014, my plan is to make a book (snapfish or shutterfly) and add pictures about the cruise. I will give them the book on Christmas Day of next year. The last page will go something like 'Are you tired of looking at pictures and would rather see it all in person? Well pack your bags because in 2 months we are all (me, my 16 yr old son, his friend, my daughter and mother-in-law) going on the Disney cruise." :) I am not sure who will be more excited my daughter or my mother-in-law. We have been to Disney World twice in the past 2 years but not the cruise. I went on it in 2004 and LOVED IT!!!

We had a scavenger hunt to surprise the DDs the day before we flew to FL. Keeping a secret for 7 months was the HARDEST thing in the world since I am a blabbermouth! !

Very cute (video and the hunt itself)! I am trying to do the same thing and have hit a wall trying to think of clues! Our scavenger hunt will be more virtual, b/c we are picking them up from school and heading to the airport, and I'm going to have clues and puzzles for them to solve to figure out where we're going.

My girls are going to freak out (in a good way!). I just need to figure out how to tell them!

The anticipation and planning the surprise is hard but probably the best part! Hope you have a blast on your cruise!

Very cute (video and the hunt itself)! I am trying to do the same thing and have hit a wall trying to think of clues! Our scavenger hunt will be more virtual, b/c we are picking them up from school and heading to the airport, and I'm going to have clues and puzzles for them to solve to figure out where we're going.

My girls are going to freak out (in a good way!). I just need to figure out how to tell them!

Thanks for the nice compliment! Try this link! It should have some pretty cool ways to do the surprise. The tips are listed on the park tab but of course will work for the cruise. Good Luck!:thumbsup2

http://www.wdwinfo.com/columns/how-to-pull-off-a-walt-disney-world-surprise-trip.cfm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter