If you need a good reason to buy your under 2 yo a seat on the plane...

mcnuss

<font color=blue>Beware the Atomic Tail!<font colo
...Look no further than this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-05-26-safe-side_x.htm

The jet's gyrations took Frank Englert, 79, back to the night his B-29 nearly crashed on a World War II bombing mission over Tokyo. "I thought, all these years, and here's where we end up," Englert says.

Michelle Singh prepared herself to die. "Everybody was screaming and crying and praying," Singh, 36, says. "It was horrifying. It was the end."

Flight 903, an Airbus A300 flying from Boston to Miami, nearly crashed when the pilots allowed the jet to slow too much and lost control. The case has drawn increased scrutiny in recent months because of similarities to the 2001 crash of another American A300.

According to passengers and public records, the cabin reverberated with screams and prayers. The creaking fuselage sounded like it was breaking apart.

One man sailed across the aisle. A baby flew out of her mother's arms. Passengers safely caught the baby, but the mother unbuckled her seatbelt and flew into the ceiling. The blow knocked her unconscious and broke four of her ribs.

A flight attendant cried out in pain: "My back! My back! Please, please! Somebody help me." Debris flew everywhere. Flying suitcases bloodied some passengers.

After landing, flight attendants told investigators, grown men cried and one woman yelled "Hallelujah!" Others had trouble walking. "I'm a pretty sturdy lady," says Nancy Lewis, 75. "I play tennis and all. But they took me out in a chair. I couldn't walk."

Years later, none of the seven passengers interviewed knew the incident's cause until told by a reporter. Most still believed what American had told them: that the jet encountered turbulence.

Yep, I agree. In 2000 on our WDW trip we bought our then 19 month old a seat. We are going again in December of this year and have bought our 16 month old a seat as well. We take the car seat on the plane and strap them in. To them it is no different than riding in a car.

Thank you for the reminder, Mcnuss. Too often we become complacent that flights will always be smooth ones. We've been debating the merits of taking on a car seat for our DD3.5 versus just strapping her in with the seatbelt. You've helped convince me that she needs the safety seat, even if it is a hassle to haul it through the airport and onto the plane.

Peggy

We are gate-checking our stroller so we will just put the car seat on top of the stroller until it is time to board the plane.

Our biggest hassle last time was getting the stroller & car seat from the National car rental into the check-in desk, but we made it.

Perhaps I am misinformed, but I thought I read somewhere that you cannot use your car seat on an airplane for a child who is over 2 years old (maybe it was the weight limitation that I am thinking of, though). I'd love to know if anyone knows, because I will confront this issue for our upcoming trip. Our son will be 2.5 yrs old and weighs about 32 lbs now, so I thought that I would not be able to use the car seat (we used it for a prior trip when he was 15 mos.). Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Any carseat you bring on an airplane MUST be FAA approved. There usually is a sticker on the side or back indicating this, also is noted in the manual. A child who is under 2 who has their own seat, MUST be restrained in an FAA approved child restraint seat. If the child is over 2, they do not have to be restrained in a car seat, per FAA regulations, but you have the option of bringing your car seat on the plane.

Also if you use a car/booster seat you have to use the 5-point restraints and not the seat belt.

My DD rode on the plane in her car seat until she all but busted out of it! I think she was about 3.5 when I finally stopped and my mom bought a booster for her car so I did not have to lug it with me.

I posted this bc I did have a scary experience the one & only time DD rode in my arms. It was a short, 45 min. flight and I did not think it "Worth" it to buy her a seat. She was about 9 mos. old and probably around 20 lbs. We were landing in DC when the pilot aborted the landing, pulled up really hard, and banked away from the airport. She was nearly pulled out of my arms and into the seat in front of us. (Turns out there was a plane still on the runway and the pilot was not taking any chances of it not getting out of his way quick enough.) Scared the pants off me and she never rode unrestrained again. If I could not afford a seat for her, we did not go. Period. No debate. Reading that article brought that bad memory back in a big way.

I can never understand why people would hold a child in their lap. You wouldn't do it in your car, what makes a plane any different. We have always paid for the extra seats for our children to fly. They are safer and they are much more comfortable. Our last flight, my DD 2 fell asleep in her car seat right after take off on both flights and slept straight through. Other parents who lap held their children had kids who didn't want to stay still and had a miserable flight. It is expensive to fly but safety should come first. If I can't afford a seat for all 3 of my kids then I would drive. At least use one of those baby lap restraints they sell for traveling by plane. Please keep your kids safe.

Originally posted by married2grumpy
I can never understand why people would hold a child in their lap. If I can't afford a seat for all 3 of my kids then I would drive. At least use one of those baby lap restraints they sell for traveling by plane.

Actually, THIS is the main reason the FAA has been reluctant to ban lap babies!! Statistically, that baby is SAFER in the lap of a parent on a plane than the baby would be in a car for the drive.

Also, they don't allow the use of the lap restraint during take-off or landing (the most dangerous segments), only during the remaining portion of the flight. I once boarded with a baby in a sling and they made it clear that the baby could not remain in the sling for take-off or landing.

Peggy

Imo This allowance for children to be unrestrained on a lap is ridiculous. Aircraft accident statistics do not support this as being a safe practice but the FAA appears to deem it as an acceptable risk. One injury or death is too many. Here is an interesting article with the American Academy of Pediatrics point of view:

Infant restraints

6448_v.jpg
If this is what you are talking about, yes it is not yet FAA approved for taxi take off or landing but it could definitely help in turbulent cruise phases of flight.

I can never understand why people would hold a child in their lap. If I can't afford a seat for all 3 of my kids then I would drive. At least use one of those baby lap restraints they sell for traveling by plane.

there are a lot of places you either can't drive to, or are not feasible to drive to. everyone makes their own choices... :)

If I couldn't afford a ticket for my kid, we just didn't go. End of story. His safety was FAR more important that any trip to WDW or anyplace else for that matter. And I hear all the "memories about WDW are so important", yeah, but it won't do you any good if you kid dies on the way.

Anne

I agree with buying a seat for the baby.
But I also don't understand that for those that DO decide to hold their babies in their laps- WHY ON EARTH will they not let you use the baby lap restraints on take off and landing? It doesn't make sense to me- wouldn't they be safer with that on instead of in the parent's arms?
Is it because it would be difficult to remove it or unlatch it if something happened (like a crash)?? Well wouldn't the same be said for if they were in a carseat?? Same difference in my opinion- although I would personally choose the carseat though.

Quote from the FAA website concerning lap restraints (belly belts):

"These systems allowed the test dummy to make severe contact with the back of the seat in the row in front of the test dummy. The child also may be crushed by the forward bending motion of the adult to whom the child is attached. "

See: http://www2.faa.gov/fsdo/ord/change.htm

Peggy

It's very strange to me, as we fly from the UK to the USA using British companys (both BA, and others) and they do not allow infant carriers on the plane at all - you can use a forward facing car seat for an older baby, but not a baby 'carrytot' style car seat.

They also require you to use a lap belt. I have flown with my dd many times and we have been given a lap belt every single time.

It seems odd to me that the rules would be different depending on the airline you are flying with (but I know it is the case)

Bev

mcnuss,
Your experience reminded me of one of my own. It's not as uncommon as people think. We were landing at Midway airport on a very snowy day. The weather was so bad that O'Hare was closed, and our plane was delayed for several hours. I was really surprised that Midway hadn't been shut down too. As we were coming down, the pilot suddenly aborted and shot back up. I knew it wasn't normal, and my hunch was confirmed by the looks on the faces of the flight attendants in the jump seats facing us (we were in the bulkhead exit row). It wasn't panic, but definitely a look of "What's going on?" Turns out a tiny plane had been trying to take off and had spun out and hit a snowbank. The people in it were okay, but we couldn't land there and had to circle in the sky while they cleared another runway for us. We don't have children, but I can guarantee you that if we did, they would be in a seat, NEVER in my lap. I wouldn't want my beloved child to become a loose missle in case of emergency. I know it can be costly, but you can't put a price on a child's life.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

We've had the same experiences as Bev on this one. Even when I paid for my (then) 18m old to have his own seat and I requested Virgin's infant seat as they told me I couldn't take my own car seat on board (btw it's a Britax) I was pretty annoyed when I got on the plane and was told that they didn't have the infant plane seat I had requested :mad: This happens.... A LOT! So in the UK it's not about irresponsible parenting, more the case of irresponsible airlines...

Lisag

ps. Waves to Bev, see you on the DIBB ;)

"These systems allowed the test dummy to make severe contact with the back of the seat in the row in front of the test dummy. The child also may be crushed by the forward bending motion of the adult to whom the child is attached. "
This makes sense- EXCEPT WHEN you think of the alternative. Unless they make it where you HAVE to purchase a seat for a young child- the alternative is going to be them either doing the same thing (severe contact with the back of the seat in front of them or crushed by the forward bending motion of the adult that is holding them) OR flying like a missile across the airplane when ripped from the parents hands.

See what I mean?

Originally posted by BibbidyBobbidyBoo
This makes sense- EXCEPT WHEN you think of the alternative. Unless they make it where you HAVE to purchase a seat for a young child- the alternative is going to be them either doing the same thing (severe contact with the back of the seat in front of them or crushed by the forward bending motion of the adult that is holding them) OR flying like a missile across the airplane when ripped from the parents hands.

See what I mean?

Yes, I see what you mean! I wasn't trying to defend FAA's position. If I had to guess, I would say that they ban these alternative forms of restraint so parents don't have a false sense of security. If you are holding a child loose on your lap, you KNOW you are risking your child's safety. If you are using a lap restraint, you may think your child is perfectly safe, when that is not the case.

I agree with most posters here, they should just require parents to buy the seat at 50% discount and use a safety seat.

Peggy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter