If you had to choose.......

Mommy Poppins

DIS Veteran
between an outside photographer (Randy Chapman) or an outside videographer (STVS), which would you choose for your vow renewal. Not sure I can talk my DH into both. I'm not willing to cut out the MK photo shoot, so I will either have to go with Disney photography and get video or use Randy Chapman and have someone use our camcorder to videotape the renewal service.

Which would you do?

Personally I would go with Randy but photo's are more important to me than a video. I wanted my wedding taped but I was more than happy with a video camera that my older brother ran. He did a great job. :)

Same with me. I will be fine with just amateur video, but the photos are what I want to look good and professional!

Okay, this may sound funny but here goes. . . . .

We are having a custom wedding and we are paying A LOT (which I am sure everyone here is too) with that being said, I would DEFINITLY want both. Just so you could have the pictures and then a video that will last forever along with the photos. The video will capture all the sights and sounds that may be missed if a spontaneous magical moment were to happen. Where it may be something said or just the background sound of the reception. So I feel video is something as equal to photos. As for the family camcorder, if your uncle is a videographer than ROCK IT!! (Go for it) I for one felt sick with motion sickness when I watched the Blair Witch Movie and don't want to go that option. I unfortunately don't have any talented video smart family members. That's why we are going with both Stan and Randy. I'm sure this didn't help you much but maybe it's something to consider.

Shonnel :earsgirl:

Can anyone tell me how much the outside videographer costs that you used? I think disney's is pretty overpriced and was wondering if outside might be a littie cheaper? thanks :) My fiance's half-bro is does videography stuff for a living, and I'm sure he'd be willing to do it. But he's still in the military so it's not a 100% given if he'll be able to come or not. Anyway, don't mean to hijack the thread, am just curious about the prices, thank you :)

I'm more of a picture person so I didn't bother with video for our intimate wedding. I'm glad I used Randy and if I did want video I would have paid for Stan because all the video footage I've seen of his is fantastic.

I am definitely a picture person and was planing on the camcorder route - then I got a package deal for both the still and video for my midweek VR which was very affordable and they did a great job. It was nice to have the video and still from the same place because they knew what the other one was doing and I don't have any pictures with the video man in the background or vice versa. Plus there was a problem with the limo picking us up on time and if I had wanted to do the camcorder thing myself there would not have been time. And they were so professional and did such a great job - i just love having an edited video it is sooo nice - plus we did an intimate ceremony (just 12 guests) so it is nice to have so others that couldn't come can see it.
Please consider Magic Moment ( www.amagicmoment.com) they were great and I was able to get BOTH.

For anyone who has read my thread on Disney Video--I'd have a tough time choosing...I do NOT think that what I paid for my Disney video was worth it...but Randy was totally worth it!!! I would not use Disney Video (but I am also still waiting for them to address my complaints--maybe after the fact I will change my opinion) again.

That is a real tough one! Im using both Randy Chapman and STVS and I dont think I could choose between the two. I think they both are very reasonable in price and their work is wonderful. You could always customize with both them to fit your budget. Good Luck & Best Wishes!

My understanding is that you get a "Master CD" with your VR package so... being a photographer myself - I know what all you can create having access to the digital files. For example: You can make a coffee table book , memory book or print more images, cards etc... If I had to choose- I would pick the Photographer! Maybe someone in the family could do the video for you!

i would use randy for photos as theyre so important to me & stvs as the video is such a visual & audio keepsake of your day, ive heard of to many problems with disney. personally i would cut the mk portrait session & just do photopass in my regular clothes to have the $ for a nice video. you could also try taking a smaller package with either randy or stvs to fit your budget. best of luck.

Seems like I'm in the minority...we chose Stan over Randy. For us we wanted something that we could relive that day over and over again, and Stan caught so many little things. Every person that has seen our video has made the comment that they felt that they where there with us, and how much they love our video. For me, seeing John's dad give a touching speech and watching me dance with my dad, and hearing the violin brings that wonderful day back, and for me pictures cannot do that....but that is JMHO.
Randy is fantastic and I do regret not having him at our wedding, I wish we would have found a way to have had him there.

Melissa

We chose Randy and he was the best.He actually smoothed over some of the things that Disney messed up on.I have to say that I love Stan's work and I really wish I used him or someone else for my video. We used Disney and they missed alot and you have a hard time seeing some of it because of the awful glare.We don't like the music.It's just alright.

mjslvswdw1 said:
Seems like I'm in the minority...we chose Stan over Randy. For us we wanted something that we could relive that day over and over again, and Stan caught so many little things. Every person that has seen our video has made the comment that they felt that they where there with us, and how much they love our video. For me, seeing John's dad give a touching speech and watching me dance with my dad, and hearing the violin brings that wonderful day back, and for me pictures cannot do that....but that is JMHO.
Randy is fantastic and I do regret not having him at our wedding, I wish we would have found a way to have had him there.

Melissa

I started tearing up after reading your post. I can TOTALLY see where you are going with reliving the day over and over. We are leaving in 8 days to get married and just the thought about the speeches and the dance and I'm tearing up just thinking about it. Photos are great too but compared to a videographer, how many people do you know that can take great pictures (both fathers are camera freaks, friend is a student in artistic photography, brother another camera freak, just to name a few) versus knowing someone who is able to capture one of the most magical events in your life on DVD (both fathers have video cameras but watching the home videos I get a little on the motion sickness side).

It's all a really hard choice, we are having Stan (STVS) and Randy (Chapman photography) I just got rid of the fondue fountain from the dessert reception. Not like I need to be eating or standing next to a chocolate fountain. :p

EvilinaDM101,

You will never regret Stan, and what he will bring to your day. I'm not saying that pictures or Randy are not important, but can pictures replay back to you what your father-in-law said, or what your mother said to you on your wedding day? The one thing that I will always have is these very special people in our lives will be "captured" on video for the rest of our lives. Enjoy your wedding day and relish in how special it is, it will go so fast!

Best Wishes!

Melissa

JoanneG said:
We chose Randy and he was the best.He actually smoothed over some of the things that Disney messed up on.I have to say that I love Stan's work and I really wish I used him or someone else for my video. We used Disney and they missed alot and you have a hard time seeing some of it because of the awful glare.We don't like the music.It's just alright.

What did Disney mess up that Randy smoothed over and how did he smooth it over?

I am planning my wedding on such a tight budget that we are actually taking money from our house down payment and I had to choose between outside photography/upgrading our Disney photo package and video. I cant do the MK shoot as badly as I want to, its just too much money to squeeze out of my budget.

I was going to have my friends videotape for me but there is nothing like having a professional videographer. With that said I opted to go with the video with STVS because for his pricing I can have the extras I want in the video for the same thing Disney would charge for their regular video package and I havent heard anything good about Disney video from other brides.

You dont really have to choose between photos and video because even with Disneys lowest photo package you will still get 12 photos in a folio and you can purchase any others you want (or buy the CD with the high resolution photos on it for $1000 or $99 after 3 years). So you wont be without photos, you just wont have as many.

I would much rather trust extra photos to friends and family to take, especially since with digital cameras you will know right away if it doesnt look good and you can retake it right away. Amateur photos are much better than amateur video.

Another option is to go with the outside photography package and I found a videographer (Third Avenue Productions) that will do an in camera edited video for $349 or an unedited version for $179. At the very least the unedited version would be the same as a home video but done professionally with no extras and without the motion sickness feeling since this would be from someone who does this for a living. You can check out the site at:

Third Avenue Productions (407) 227-5203
http://www.thirdavenueproductions.com/pages/1/index.htm or email them at Dan@thirdavenueproductions.com

Broadway Foto isnt that bad either. They can do video for $325.00.
Contact info for them is: Broadway Foto 1-800-236-5518
http://www.broadwayfoto.com/ or email at bdwyfoto1@aol.com

I am trying my damndest to get everything I want without breaking the bank or feeling like I have to compromise everything!

Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter