If you could go back in time to Disneyland....

zeitzeuge

DIS Veteran
I'm a daydreamer. Sometimes too much, but luckily it doesn't affect my work. :)

I was fortunate enough to go to DL for the first time in 1975, when I was 10 years old and a few times after that. It wasn't until 2 years ago, when I started going back twice a year again.

I'm lucky enough to remember Electric Light Parade when it was still in DL, but my memories from back then are fuzzy. Guess my age is catching up with me. I remember certain little things, like how clean the park was for some reason, my first time riding POTC and IASW and how I loved the HM since it wasn't scary to me.

Some might want to go back to opening day, but after reading all of the horror stories from that day, that wouldn't be the time I would want to go back and experience. I would love to go back and experience riding the Skyway and peoplemover and visit the original House of Tomorrow. For some reason I don't remember those from when I was 10, although my mother swears we did them all.

If you could go back in time to experience Disneyland of the past, when would it be and why?

To go back in time and bring to the future your shopping bags full of souvenirs, sigh.:laughing:

Flying saucers would be fun to ride again. I would like to see the park in 1960 when I was 3 years old and it was my first trip.

I would go back and ride Adventure Through Inner Space. That was my favorite ride growing up. I also remember some telephones in that area that were in big booths and you could call someone and everyone in your group could hear. Like on speaker phone today.

Of course, as long as my time machine was cranked up, I may as well try out the early days of the park just to see it. :rotfl:

I would go back and ride Adventure Through Inner Space. That was my favorite ride growing up. I also remember some telephones in that area that were in big booths and you could call someone and everyone in your group could hear. Like on speaker phone today.

Of course, as long as my time machine was cranked up, I may as well try out the early days of the park just to see it. :rotfl:

Yep! PinkBudgie, I think you and Lavender Peach and I are probably, more or less, from the same generation and I remember those phones too! My friends and I loved those phones. We would go in and all sit down and talk over each other while staring at this box in the wall with a speaker! And I loved loved LOVED Adventures Through Inner Space too. I loved America Sings. Loved the People Mover. I loved Space Mist punch (sold at Tomorrowland Terrace). I even liked America the Beautiful.

And, Zeitzeuge - you are not the only one who remembers the Electrical Parade when it was NEW and in Disneyland! My first trip was in 1972.

To go back in time and bring to the future your shopping bags full of souvenirs, sigh.:laughing:

Flying saucers would be fun to ride again. I would like to see the park in 1960 when I was 3 years old and it was my first trip.

ditto!! man i remember getting a really nice princess dress every trip!!! and a bunch of toys, pencils , mugs ect.... ahh the good old days!

ditto!! man i remember getting a really nice princess dress every trip!!! and a bunch of toys, pencils , mugs ect.... ahh the good old days!

We still get all that stuff now! (Well, minus the princess dresses) Our credit cards are screaming by the time we leave.

I would go back and ride Adventure Through Inner Space

Which takes me back to one of my memories..I remember standing in line with my mom...watching the people in the cars shrink...and..thinking it was all real..I was scared to get on...lol

This is a tough one. My golden era at DL was the mid 80s as most of my childhood visits occured then but there is so much that I like about Modern DL that wasn't there then. Splash Mtn wasn't installed until 89. No Indy.

But the 80s did have the best Tomorrowland. The rockets were where they belonged and both the Peoplemover and the Skyway were still running. Mission to Mars, Innerspace in the first half of the decade, Star Tours in the second half when Star Wars fandom was still pretty high. We still had a real show in the rotating theatre with America Sings (Rather than the abomonation that is Innoventions). I do prefer today's Space Mtn, Autopia and even the Subs (I know, it's blasphomy to say that but the new subs have grown on me) but the rest of Tomorrowland was much better in the 80s.

If I could have the 80's Tomorrowland with the modern rest of the Park, I'd be happy. :)

I'd go back to when I was a kid and my Granny took us to Disneyland every year. :( She's gone now, and being there with her are some of my most precious memories.

Yep! PinkBudgie, I think you and Lavender Peach and I are probably, more or less, from the same generation and I remember those phones too! My friends and I loved those phones. We would go in and all sit down and talk over each other while staring at this box in the wall with a speaker! And I loved loved LOVED Adventures Through Inner Space too. I loved America Sings. Loved the People Mover. I loved Space Mist punch (sold at Tomorrowland Terrace). I even liked America the Beautiful.

And, Zeitzeuge - you are not the only one who remembers the Electrical Parade when it was NEW and in Disneyland! My first trip was in 1972.

I think my grandparents started taking me in the late sixties, so l love Tomorrowland and Frontierland as a kid.

I'd go back to when I was a kid and my Granny took us to Disneyland every year. :( She's gone now, and being there with her are some of my most precious memories.

I have wonderful memories of both sets of grandparents, and my parents at DL over the years. All are gone now except my Dad, so I understand perfectly. I have a brick out front with my Mom's parents on it as they started our Disney addiction.

Oh I would go back to the early 60's - short lines, lots of fun and the Mule Train!! That was my favorite ride of all time - sigh. I really miss that.

I would love to go back and see my first-ever trip to Disneyland (1987) - I have such fond memories. So much was different...they still had the Sky Way, the People Mover, Circle Vision theater (I love Buzz Lightyear, but I loved it too!) and the original Mr. Lincoln. Oh, and there was no Splash but there was the Bear Country Jamboree....
What is strange now is thinking how crowded it gets NOW with both DL and DCA in place.... How did we survive before DCA?? :confused3

Great Thread Idea!!!

Ok. I would say any day that Walt was in the park walking around. Could you imagine knowing what you do now and then being able to watch him enjoy his dream come true? A nice chat would be cool as well.

To me that is what makes Disneyland superior to WDW.....Walt's special touches and how he wanted it to be a place for families.

My first trip was I believe 1975 too! But I was a lot younger then you ;)

I think I would like to go back and do the Pirate Ship Restaurant and House of Tomorrow. But from the years I went I would love to go back and see the Golden Horseshoe Revue and Country Bears!!!

This is a great thread. :thumbsup2

I would like to go back and remember being up onstage at The Golden Horsehoe. I was about 3 and have only a few teeny snippets of it in my memory. I was brought up onstage and the guy made me an animal balloon and I refused to answer any of his questions! :eek: According to my family, the audience had a great time laughing at me because I was NOT happy to be up on that stage! :mad:

I would also like to remember having Roy Williams do my Mickey Mouse sketch. I still have it, but I have no memory of him doing it at all. I know I am very lucky to have it, but I would love to be able to remember that. :)

I also have a couple of pictures that my Mom took of Walt Disney at Disneyland when we were there in the early 1960's. But again, I have no memories of seeing him because I was about 4. :confused3I can say that I saw him, but I would love to be able to say that I remember it! :worship:

I miss the pack-mules! I loved riding them! And the Sky-Way buckets, too! Oh, and I remember those phones mentioned earlier! We'd call somebody just for the fun of it..."Hi! We're at DISNEYLAND!!!" :lmao:

Even though I screamed bloody murder :scared1: on my first ride on the Pirates when it opened (and sadly, I DO remember doing that!) I would like to go back and ride it for the first time (only this time WITHOUT my older sister scaring the pants off me) but to ride it and NOT know what was coming up next, I'd love to experience that feeling again. pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter