If ya want to eat an apple

They are SO gross and apparently getting grosser all the time. :sad2: I read an article once describing how that variety has been bred over the years to have a super-thick skin and dry, hard flesh to make them easily transportable, nice looking and long-lasting in cold storage and cheap. They are apparently also the most common variety sold by far but other than the price, I can't imagine why. :crazy2:

I think because maybe they don't know any better? Way back in the 80s when I was a kid, there was usually a red delicious apple in my lunch, which I never ate, and I didn't know there was anything different. I think the grocery stores seemed to have only Red Delicious, Granny Smith, and Macs? And then when I moved Vancouver and somehow ended up with my first Gala apple - it blew my mind :teeth: I actually remember eating it! Strange, because apple crops are a big deal around where we live so you would think we would have the cream of the crop, so to speak, growing up - but that was not the case. Now I willing eat apples all of the time - all sorts of varieties :cutie:

They are SO gross and apparently getting grosser all the time. :sad2: I read an article once describing how that variety has been bred over the years to have a super-thick skin and dry, hard flesh to make them easily transportable, nice looking and long-lasting in cold storage and cheap. They are apparently also the most common variety sold by far but other than the price, I can't imagine why. :crazy2:
You'll be pleased to find out that here in the U.S. the Gala apple has surpassed them in sales. And it's precisely the storage thing that made Red Delicious sell so well. They could be stored longer than most apples enabling them to be sold longer than most. Also, they look pretty on the outside. I've always hated them.

Give me a big, green, crisp, tart Granny Smith apple any day of the week. (just don't attempt to eat them at your desk, or things get messy)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter