If we go a random weekend can we skip EP?

Gentry2004

DIS Veteran
If we pull the kids from school a random Friday or Monday, probably in Jan, Feb or Mar, and we are careful to avoid MLK, Presidents week and Mardi Gras, are the parks doable without onsite privileges or EP? We would probably have 2.5-3 park days with park-to-park.

Will I regret this? It’s just so much more expensive to stay even at Royal Pacific. Thoughts, especially since we plan to spend all of our time at the parks.

Thanks.

It’s worth a try

I have gone early January days after New Years and thought the parks were manageable without long waits

We go in early June with no EP, and really have had no problems riding what we want to ride. We haven't tried Hulk or RRR, but the only thing we never rode was Minions. That's not exactly what you asked, but if we can do it in June, I would think a non-holiday in Jan-Feb-Mar would be very doable without EP. We're doing a girls trip the last week of August (in 2 weeks!) with no EP, and I don't expect the lines to be too bad then.

If you go on a Monday, Jan, or Feb, and avoid right after New Years and those holidays you definitely will not need EP.

If you go in March, try as early as possible not only to keep cool still, but to avoid spring break.

Either way, Monday I always recommend, as Sunday and Monday are the lowest crowd days since a lot of people who've been on vacation go "back to reality" on Sunday, or are gone by Monday.

Depending on the time of year, it is doable. You can always stay at one of the value hotels and still get the one hour early park admission. I went in early May and the Sunday was actually less crowded than the weekdays following it. When it comes to needing a EP, it is all just gambling so I would check out as many crowd calendars as you can.

I've been keeping an eye on Feb/Mar/Apr 2020 prices and they do seem much higher than the 2019 prices in https://www.disboards.com/threads/“official”-2019-on-site-hotel-date-rate-thread.3694755/. Is this the "new normal" or will they come down in a couple months?

To the OP, one thing to consider is buying a season pass instead of 2-3 day park-to-park tickets. It usually doesn't cost much more, and then you can get a discount at the onsite hotels. You can come back on a second trip without having to buy park tickets. We did that and had a great time seeing the holiday setup in November.

I would not say you ever NEED to buy Express Pass. If you have it, waits are shorter, if you don't waits are generally longer, but how much longer is rather variable. When crowds are low, the difference is small. When crowds are high the difference is more significant. Either way, it really comes down to how you value your time/cost, and that is always going to be a personal opinion.

You don't have to buy the pass in advance. It does sell out, but you can buy it that day if you want to buy it for one of your park days.

January/Feb will be cooler weather, but lower crowds. March = spring break for many colleges, and the warmer weather draws many folks. In 2020, spring breaks even for public schools are more spread out than they once were, and many folks are willing to pull kids out for school for lower prices/crowds in FL. Any winter month also = risk of a major (snow) storm that hampers travel/cancels flights across the lower 48.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter