If We Cancel: Rebook or Cruise Credit?

StorybookGirl

Earning My Ears
Sorry if this has been asked already - it's getting hard to keep track!

Per the new temporary cancellation policy for cruises prior to May 31, 2020, if we cancel do we have to immediately choose and book another cruise, or do we have credit to use to book in the future?

We're not planning to cancel, but if we must I'm hoping we don't have to commit on the spot to our next cruise date.

I do know it has to be booked within a year.

Thanks!

It depends. Let's break it down.

1. If you are outside of the full-payment deadline (i.e. the deadline to make your full payment is still in the future), you can cancel your cruise for a full refund. The refund will go back to the original method of payment, and you can book a new cruise as usual.

2. If you are inside the full-payment deadline (i.e. the deadline has passed and you have made your full payment), there are two possibilities.

2A. Your cruise is covered under the temporary cancellation policy due to the Coronavirus. See the list of covered cruises in the link:
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/advisory/

If your cruise is covered, you can convert your full payment into a future cruise credit (FCC). This is not a refund but a credit to be applied to a (set of) future cruise(s) sailing in the following 12-15 months. You can apply it immediately on a new cruise or at another time in the future when ready.

If you want a refund instead, see 2B below.

2B. Your cruise is not covered under the temporary cancellation policy- or it is but you want a refund.

If you want a refund in this situation, you will be subject to the normal cancellation policy. The amount of refund (less than 100%) will depend on how far out you are from the sailing date. See the details in the link below (scroll down to the Cancellations/Refunds section):
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contracts-terms-safety/terms-conditions/united-states/

You cannot combine 2A and 2B - i.e. you cannot convert the cancellation penalty into an FCC and get a refund for the rest. It's either or.

Your travel insurance - if any - may be able to cover (a part of) the cancellation penalty.

Last edited:
It depends. Let's break it down.

1. If you are outside of the full-payment deadline (i.e. the deadline to make your full payment is still in the future), you can cancel your cruise for a full refund. The refund will go back to the original method of payment, and you can book a new cruise as usual.

2. If you are inside the full-payment deadline (i.e. the deadline has passed and you have made your full payment), there are two possibilities.

2A. Your cruise is covered under the temporary cancellation policy due to the Coronavirus. See the list of covered cruises in the link:
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/advisory/

If your cruise is covered, you can convert your full payment into a future cruise credit (FCC). This is not a refund but a credit to be applied to a (set of) future cruise(s) sailing in the following 12-15 months. You can apply it immediately on a new cruise or at another time in the future when ready.

If you want a refund instead, see 2B below.

2B. Your cruise is not covered under the temporary cancellation policy- or it is but you want a refund.

If you want a refund in this situation, you will be subject to the normal cancellation policy. The amount of refund (less than 100%) will depend on how far out you are from the sailing date. See the details in the link below (scroll down to the Cancellations/Refunds section):
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contracts-terms-safety/terms-conditions/united-states/

You cannot combine 2A and 2B - i.e. you cannot convert the cancellation penalty into an FCC and get a refund for the rest. It's either or.

Your travel insurance - if any - may be able to cover (a part of) the cancellation penalty.

Wow, thank you for going into such detail! This helps me and many others, as well.

So, yes, we fall into 2A... we are PIF, and covered under the COVID policy. My main concern was having to commit to our next cruise, but I'm comfortable taking a credit for a cruise TBD. We still have about 65 days so hopefully it won't come to that, but I'm happy with this option if it comes down to it.

This kept me awake last night! Thanks for the info... I will sleep tonight!

You might want to check the future sailings for prices...not that you have much choice if you are like us and PIF. If you booked at a special rate (FL resident, Military, Canadian, etc.), it is unlikely that you will find anything remotely in your same price range. My exact trip in December (the only time I could possibly go) is 3 times the amount I paid.

So, while DCL is generous with their current specials, you have to pray that they continue those in the future. That seems highly unlikely since they were "boat filler" rates, and most of those will be during the school year when families can't go.

You might want to check the future sailings for prices...not that you have much choice if you are like us and PIF. If you booked at a special rate (FL resident, Military, Canadian, etc.), it is unlikely that you will find anything remotely in your same price range. My exact trip in December (the only time I could possibly go) is 3 times the amount I paid.

So, while DCL is generous with their current specials, you have to pray that they continue those in the future. That seems highly unlikely since they were "boat filler" rates, and most of those will be during the school year when families can't go.

Very true, but... my personal gut feeling is that once this Coronavirus catastrophe is over, the entire cruise industry will be suffering and will be begging for "boat fillers" at decent to very good rates. This disaster is going to scare away all but the most hardcore cruisers, I think. They'll need people to cruise to prove to the world that it's safe again. Sure, they could raise prices to make up for the inevitable losses of the coming months, but that won't fill ships. Just one cruiser's opinion!

That said, a full refund is ideal, of course. But, in lieu of that we'll take our 100% future cruise credit and cross our fingers for a good opportunity in the next year (if we decide to cancel). Yes, we also were fortunate to book on a special rate that may be hard to match, but in the next year I have a feeling DCL will need us more than we need them. Unfortunately, things are too unpredictable right now, so time will tell.

Thanks. We also fall into 2A. We have several cruises already booked so hoping to use the credit to pay the balances. I’m still at the wait & see stage. Even if we went on the cruise, I would be stressed the entire time, so totally not worth it.

We are also waiting to see what happens (cruise May 25). All May cruises are past PIF at this point, so there is no more option 1 for anyone who is eligible for option 2 unless you are willing to lose your deposit (some may be).

I've looked and at the moment, the same cruise in August 2020 would be significantly cheaper than our May 2020 cruise (and that is regular rates: we are a family of 5 that need a famliy stateroom, so can't do *GT rates). So I don't think it's true that all rebooked cruises are more expensive at this point. But, I don't really want to wait that long to go on vacation, so I'd like to see what happens to the virus once the weather warms up before making any decisions.

Thanks. We also fall into 2A. We have several cruises already booked so hoping to use the credit to pay the balances. I’m still at the wait & see stage. Even if we went on the cruise, I would be stressed the entire time, so totally not worth it.

this is an update. You can not use the cruise credit to apply it to current cruises. You can only use it on a new cruise. You can not combine it with placeholder either. If I end up with the credit I’ll be looking for a VGT (unless that’s not allowed either).

Do you know can I transfer the amount of the cruise I cancel to a new cruise reservation I just made for next July when the new summer 2021 cruises came out last month?
They are both European cruises?

I want to cruise, but its looking less and less likely it will happen, only 60 days away.

Do you know can I transfer the amount of the cruise I cancel to a new cruise reservation I just made for next July when the new summer 2021 cruises came out last month?
You cannot transfer it to an existing reservation.

Assuming next year's cruise falls within the rebook period allowed, I suggest you price out the cruise for next summer to see if it increased significantly in the past month. Then consider shifting the "credit" to a new reservation for that cruise, and cancel what you reserved last month.

Enjoy your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter