IE Bug in WDW Disney Dining Reservation Website

robinb

DIS veteran
Hi everyone! I was having the annoying "IE Bug" on the WDW Dining Reservation website. I had IE8.0 installed but I got the error: "Did you know that your Internet Explorer is out-of-date? Our dining reservation system does not support Internet Explorer 6 or earlier versions. You will need to upgrade your version of Internet Explorer to a newer version"."
To make matters worse, my Firefox browser was also not behaving properly with the Disney restaurant reservation site either. I has to use Chome instead.

I figured out what MY problem was and maybe it's yours too.

I went to http://whatsmyuseragent.com/ (as suggested in another thread). the "User Agent" tells websites which browser you are using and any compatibilities. Well, I got the strangest HTTP_USER_AGENT ever:

HTTP_USER_AGENT:Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; User-agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; http://bsalsa.com) ; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; MS-RTC LM 8; InfoPath.2)
It doubled my browser's identification... once as MSIE 8.0 and again as MSIE 6.0 thing (in red). It turns out that some program that used Borland C++ horked up my User Agent long ago when I used 6.0. I figured that the Disney website saw the MSIE 6.0 in the User Agent, ignored the MSIE 8.0 and threw up the error.

The solution is here:
http://www.bsalsa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=686

I fired up regedit, found the registry entry "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform" and deleted it.

My User Agent is now:
HTTP_USER_AGENT:Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; MS-RTC LM 8; InfoPath.2)
The Disney reservation website works fine :cool1:.

Now I have to figure out what is stopping Firefox from opening up the pop up properly ...

Awesome, a solution! I'll have to add this into the tutorial thread (proper credit of course :)). Going to be a lot of happy people because of this :).

I do want to caution people about messing around with the registry. I made a copy of the contents of that registry key and saved it to a file just in case something relied on it and blew up. Don't delete keys willy-nilly without a backup plan :thumbsup2.

I do want to caution people about messing around with the registry. I made a copy of the contents of that registry key and saved it to a file just in case something relied on it and blew up. Don't delete keys willy-nilly without a backup plan :thumbsup2.
Yup, delete the wrong thing and you can bork your who operating system up. Always good to back up, follow directions to a T, and just simply not do it if you're unsure.

Yup, delete the wrong thing and you can bork your who operating system up. Always good to back up, follow directions to a T, and just simply not do it if you're unsure.

Hey, I resent that. :lmao:

But I am a computer engineer by trade. :)

This happened to me recenty on my work computer. I called IT and they came and fixed it! My IE was out of date and since we are not allowed to do any of the administrative things ourselves, IT had to come upgrade. The first time I saw this I was not happy. I have to make my ADRs at work because that's were I spend most of my time!

This happened to me recenty on my work computer. I called IT and they came and fixed it! My IE was out of date and since we are not allowed to do any of the administrative things ourselves, IT had to come upgrade. The first time I saw this I was not happy. I have to make my ADRs at work because that's were I spend most of my time!
I'm glad that you were able to get your IT department to upgrade your IE!

In my case and that of many others here our IE was not out of date, but the most recent version which is 8.0. I even removed IE 8.0 and reinstalled it thinking that my IE was corrupt. It wasn't until I looked at the User Agent that I realized it was telling the Disney website that I was using IE 6.0 even though it was IE 8.0. Then the "fun" began and then I had to hunt down how and why my User Agent was being changed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter