Ideas to entertain a 9 month old on plane and in lines?

disneymoon0606

Mouseketeer
We'll be brining DD to WDW in December when she's about nine months old. Right now she's content to crinkle a piece of paper if need be, but I'm not sure if she'll still enjoy that in a few months. Does anybody have any ideas of things to bring for her to play with on the plane and while we're waiting in line? Preferably things that don't take up too much room.

What does/did your 9 month old like to do?

TIA!

There's so much going on around you, she'll probably be pretty content to look at the sights and people around her while you're in line. A crinkly book clipped to you (or her) with links would probably be nice if she needs something to fiddle with, or one of those animals that you pull and it vibrates as it goes back up again.

I don't have any plane ride tips, but my dd liked those 'little people' figures to take on long car rides, b/c they're good for both fiddling with and playing with and chewing. ;)

Have fun!

My dd slept on the plane, she was 10 mos and lines were never an issue. It was more of an issue w/ my 2 and 4yo, lol.

Hi! We just got back from our trip (which was FAB!!) with our 9 month old DD. I had the same concerns as you did before our trip, so we ended up bringing all sorts of toys. Turns out, we could have done without 90% of them.

On the plane, our DD slept, then played with a bunch of links (those link things you buy to hook toys to your stroller or whatever) and also a teething ring. And we gave her a plastic cup that the flight attendant gave us. That kept her occupied the entire time!!

When we went to the parks, we didn't bring ANY toys. She was totally content to look around at everything that was going on. We did bring a wet wash cloth, and we would wet it with cold water every now and then, and that kept her busy when we were in lines for a long time.

Good luck! Enjoy every minute. Our trip was the best trip we ever took, and it was all thanks to our 9 month old! princess:

A wet washcloth! What a great idea! I guess chances are we'll have SOMETHING with us that will entertain her. Glad you had such a wonderful trip with your DD. I'm certainly looking forward to ours :)

I agree with the PP that the odd items tend to be the most interesting. When we flew with a 10 m/o a few years ago- she was mesmerized by putting my silver bracelet in and out of the vomit bag she found on the plane!! It seriously kept her entertained for a 2 hour flight!
Benedryl kept her busy on the return flight!!!:cloud9: She was so wound up and overtired from the trip that I was afraid she'd cry on the plane. I made a call home to the pediatrician and he said to drug her up with a double dose of Benedryl! She slept the whole way home. I love our pediatrician!:love:
Good luck,
Sarah

My DD was 9 months for our trip in April. She was content to watch the sites as well. She slept on the plane. The noise and vibration did her in. :thumbsup2 I wouldn't load yourself up with toys...Like others have said..Strange items will fascinate..

My 4 year old was much more work.

Have fun!!

Tape, stickers, your phone, goldfish crackers, cheerios...most of what will keep the baby happy will probably fit in your purse. Food was always a winner on the plane.

The problem with kids that age is that when they're done, they're done. So, just go at a time when the baby either naps or has just finished napping! Make your life simple. And if you can't, and the baby cries a lot, just let it roll off of you. The people on the plane will survive!

For lines, I loved having a sling or baby carrier of some kind. It was a change of scene from the stroller. I loved my Maya Wrap and my mei tei carrier from babyhawk.com.

Good luck! It's a fun time to go to WDW...too little to really have an opinion, but old enough to give you lots of wonder and smiles!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Our flight is at an EARLY 7:40 am, so my guess is if we get her up just before 6 she'll be ready for a nap right about that time. Of course, we all know she'll wake up at 5 and fall asleep in the car and be cranky for the plane! Isn't that how it always works :)

Bubbles for the lines might keep her occupied.

Just be careful using bubbles in close quarters. If it's the slightest bit breezy they tend to blow into other people's faces. We were on a train ride a few weeks ago and some parents further up in our car were blowing bubbles during the ride to entertain their kids. As the train moved, the bubbles flew back directly into our area. Many people were getting annoyed at having to keep closing their eyes or swatting them away. Plus, the drips from the wand can make for a very slick floor.

On the plane, unlimited nursing worked for us! :)

At the parks we arrived early and tried to beat the crowds. The longest line we waited in, we entered while he was asleep.

Your mei tai is darling! I wore my son in a wrap for our trip and it worked out great! I did a front carry and it was so easy to get on and off the rides.

Nicole - Yes, I think nursing will definitely come in handy on this trip! BTW, my DH actually MADE my mei tai! It was quite the project, but he's so proud of it. It's definitely coming to WDW with us!

That is so sweet of your DH!

I made my own too. Unfortunately I had never used one before, and the pattern didn't pad the shoulders at all. I only use it for very short trips. I made my own wrap and love it.

My son's first trip was a week at Disneyland when he was 6 months old. It was absolutely wonderful! Don't let anyone tell you that your child is too young, we all had a fabulous time!

I was thinking of making my own wrap too. But do you think she'll be too big for it by December? How did you make it?

I am so glad you made this thread. I will be going to Disney in Jan with our ds3 and dd who will be 9 months. We are driving (4 hrs), but I have found in our travels on planes that inevitably my babies always fell asleep during take off and landing. Something about the noise I guess. I will be using some of these line tips for our trip too. I am mainly nervous she will hate her stroller if she is crawling by then. We will see. Either way it will be a great trip. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter