Ideas for toddlers during rider swap

dis1010

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

Any ideas on what would be good activities to do with two 20-month olds during rider swap or any other circumstances when they are with one parent? We won't have help with us. And I'd really rather not always just push them around in a stroller - they won't love that.

The rides where this will happen are:

Magic Kingdom: SDMT, Space Mountain, BTMRR

Epcot: Soarin, TT

HS: ToT, SDD, RnRC

AK: FoP, EE, Dinosaur

Are there any rides that you think it wouldn't be crazy to take two 20-month olds on alone? At MK, I was thinking maybe Mad Tea Party might be ok because it stops to load and we can all sit together very easily (that would be during SDMT). I would also think TTA, but that would be trickier to get on. And at Epcot, maybe Living with the Land? I think rides are a non-starter at the other parks, unless anyone has thoughts.

The other option would be play areas. That creates its own stress because I have to make sure they don't run off and keeping them away from dangerous things (it sounds silly, but climbing is still new and they have no qualms about standing at the bottom of a slide while someone may be coming down). But maybe some of the play areas are more young toddler appropriate? I'm guessing the Dumbo play area, maybe? But what about any others?

Thanks!

David

If you go to the Disney site, "attractions" any ride that shows no height requirement is good for tod dlers.

May I suggest that you carry some bubbles with you. Toddlers seem to be entertained with bubbles. A few books "toddler" friendly.

If going during a warm month, there is Casey's "park". Water area in MK. Just bring change of clothes. In Epcot, there are little splash fountains that will give them a chance to cool off. Again, change of clothes required.

In Epcot, in World Show case there are the kids area at each pavilion, with coloring pages, etc.

People Mover during Space Mountain. And my 2yo loved Buzz lightyear.

If you are wanting to get FP, Jungle cruise and pirates (really any boat-type rides) are easy.

The sand/digging area at the boneyard at AK is perfect for toddlers.

ETA: The carousel is fun, if you think you can successfully stand between and support them (they do have pretty good seatbelts)

SDMT-I would go on Winnie the Pooh-it is right across the way. The line has little activities they will like and they will be contained.
Space-the stage near space sometimes has someone on it leading a dance party. You could also go into New Fantasyland and let them play in the Casey's water area. Or ride Dumbo.
BTMRR-If you go over to Splash, they could watch people come down the hill. That is always entertaining. Or there is a little play area that is small and toddler friendly under Splash. Or ride the little boat over and back from Tom Sawyer island.

Soarin-Living with the Land would work fine. Or get a snack at Sunshine Seasons. Or go over to the Seas and see the aquarium or ride Nemo.
TT-there is an exhibit area at the end of Test Track that they could run around in. Little games they may not be able to play, but there are things to look at.

There is a new CARS show at HS near TOT and RnRC that runs continuously. It is short and entertaining for kids that age.

SDD-You could take them on one of the other Toy Story rides, or to a meet and greet.

FOP-Navi, or walk across the bridge and go to the Lion King show. Or there may be outdoor entertainment-music, dancers, etc. Lots to look at here.
Dinosaur-The lower part of the play area or back in the sand area would be good. Or Tricetop spin (like Dumbo but dinos)
EE-This one is harder for me to think of something-Go back to Dinoland??

We’ve done two trips now where my son (age 5) is tall enough for almost everything, but my 2 year old daughter obviously is not.

People have already offered some good suggestions, but what we’ve learned after doing the child swap routine twice is that my daughter is usually fine to just wait around while the first group rides, it’s the second group where she’ll need an activity or something. Some are easier than others.

Soarin is the best bc you have the waiting area that is usually populated by a bunch of little ones that befriend each other and run around, and once that gets old, living with the land as a walk on takes about the same amount of time as Soarin (since the FP wait can be kind of long)

Test Track is also a good one bc of the car/display area in the post-show.

Off the top of my head, big thunder and splash are the hardest bc there just isn’t a lot in that corner of the park. But I don’t think you listed splash. Space mountain with a fast pass can take a long time too, so I bet one person could take the littler ones on the peoplemover in that amount of time.

Fast pass lines at animal kingdom tend to move quicker, and there are lots of “diversions” near the attractions, so that’s the park I’d be the least concerned about.

If you’re going in the summer, I would just park the stroller(s) outside of the slinky dog entrance and take turns waiting. There are umbrellas for shade in that area.

Good luck!

At Soaring, DD1 and I just played in the waiting area...but she did keep running over to the escalator. The playground area near test track is nice....mostly gated in, but a lot to climb on, so be careful no one falls. At MK the treehouse playground by splash mountain is small and contained.... perfect and easy to look after both at once!
I watched 3 under 3 yesterday at the playground near test track, I will be honest.....a little challenging( I'm sure you are more used to juggling your 2 though!) We are on a trip with SIL and her two children. ( I have DS10 and DD1, SIL has DS3 and DD1). , the one thing I really wished for yesterday were harnesses to keep all three of the toddlers together! I never used one on DD1 nor did I with DS10 when he was young, but multiples are difficult to keep together!! I wish you luck and have a great trip :)

I know you are talking about rides, but one year we were watching DGS while parants went on ride. He was happier running around but we were afraid we wouldn't be able to catch him. While waiting , we added a little water to the tray. He loved his itty bitty splash tray.

Someone mentioned bubbles. I'd bring along a few of those "wedding " size bubbles with the wand attached to the lid. Just bring one a day.

Adding a question to the Casey splash pad idea.....is the ground around there slippery? Does water shoes help?

I know you are talking about rides, but one year we were watching DGS while parants went on ride. He was happier running around but we were afraid we wouldn't be able to catch him. While waiting , we added a little water to the tray. He loved his itty bitty splash tray.

Someone mentioned bubbles. I'd bring along a few of those "wedding " size bubbles with the wand attached to the lid. Just bring one a day.

Adding a question to the Casey splash pad idea.....is the ground around there slippery? Does water shoes help?
[/Q

The ground at Casey's can definitely get slippery, especially for young we kids. Cant say if water shoes will help, but they can't hurt, especially with the heat and possible hot ground surrounding area.

Tip: carry at least a small hand towel and a change of clothes. Some children will actually have swimsuits on.

Been there multiple times with little ones. Here's our usual plan:

SDMT, ride Pooh, or just go through the queue at Pooh (lots of kiddo friendly games while you wait).
Space, Buzz lightyear or peoplemover (although it does get dark) or sometimes there is a dance party near there. With 1 year olds we usually just hung out at benches and had a snack and wander.
BTMRR. Splash mountain play area, hands down. Its just to the left of BTMRR. In the shade, perfect for that age.

Soarin': ride living with the land again, or grab a tasty snack at sunshine seasons.
TT: there is a new play area near the restrooms between test track/mission space and innoventions. your kiddos will love it, its mostly fenced off too so easy to control entrance and exit better. Alternate is the A/C indoor area in mission space, but it would be better for an older kid (dark and often crowded).

ToT and RnR... I don't like them myself, so I'd usually take the kiddos to another thing entirely. Mickey and Minnie meet if we rope drop them. Disney Jr show if we FP them. (That Disney Jr show...your kids are gonna love it, and you sit on the floor so very easy to keep tabs on them).
SDD - I'd grab a snack and walk around with them if possible. You could try TSMM or AS2 but both may have big lines.

FoP... drums right outside the ride. that's all you need, they'll have a blast, but it might be hard to keep an eye on them. Na'vi river if line is reasonable.
EE - we visit the monkeys and other animals during this one from strollers usually. Boneyard isn't too far either.
Dinosaur - TriceraTop Spin you could probably manage. There are often characters around just to the side of Dinosaur these days too. Boneyard...same as above.

Snacks, drinks, and more snacks. :)

First of all, I want to thank all of you for all of the thoughtful responses. It's incredible to me how generous everyone here is with their thoughts and experiences.

I'll be honest, as much as I hate to admit it, we do have leash backpacks for them. We've only used them onces - when we went to Disneyland in May. We'll bring those to WDW, as well. I'd rather the judgment than risk losing one of the girls. They just aren't at an age where better parenting is not going to get them to listen to us about running into a crowd.

I'm going to keep notes on all of these ideas and am more excited now :)

One question, though - for continuous loader rides, like the Peoplemover, how do they handle someone who might take a little longer to get on and off? I'm going to probably carry one toddler and hold the other's hand to load onto a ride. That's ok for a ride that stops to load. But is this a fool's errand with a continuous loader?

First of all, I want to thank all of you for all of the thoughtful responses. It's incredible to me how generous everyone here is with their thoughts and experiences.

I'll be honest, as much as I hate to admit it, we do have leash backpacks for them. We've only used them onces - when we went to Disneyland in May. We'll bring those to WDW, as well. I'd rather the judgment than risk losing one of the girls. They just aren't at an age where better parenting is not going to get them to listen to us about running into a crowd.

I'm going to keep notes on all of these ideas and am more excited now :)

One question, though - for continuous loader rides, like the Peoplemover, how do they handle someone who might take a little longer to get on and off? I'm going to probably carry one toddler and hold the other's hand to load onto a ride. That's ok for a ride that stops to load. But is this a fool's errand with a continuous loader?
Dont be embarrassed about harnesses. you do whatever keeps your kiddos happy and safe.

I'm pretty sure they can slow continuous loaders if they see someone needs it.

People have offered good suggestions and I haven’t read them all but we found rider swapped offers the littles ones a chance to do nothing and decompress a little. WDW is over stimulating and at 20 mo a snack in the strolle or r 30 minutes playing with a bubble wand keeps them charged for the next adventure. Obviously some distraction and rides are good to have handy but down time is great too!

Magic Kingdom: SDMT- Winnie the Pooh Space Mountain- Buzz Light Year or Peoplemover- BTMRR- there is a playground by Splash that we usually go to during this ride.

Epcot: Soarin, - Living withthe Land- TT- There are cars and other things to look at and run around by at the exit. That is what we do there.

HS: ToT, - Depending on Timing the Beauty and the Beast Show- SDD- TSMM, RnRC - This one is usually fairly fast. We get a snack.

AK: FoP- Navi-, EE- This one is super fast. Usually we just wait; Dinosaur- the playground at the entrance to Dinoland.

I'm not sure how you booked your FPs. I have heard things are changing, but I usually book everyone that can ride on the big attraction and then too short child and one adult on the other alternative. When we switch the second person usually gets a snack or does bathroom break with the too short kid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter