Ideas for affixing Boy Scout badges to shirt?

welovedis

Disneyland here we come!
My son is new to the Boy Scouts program this year and it escaped me until now that he needs to have his badges/patches on his shirt by his den meeting tonight. I tried to use my machine, but broke the last needle I have in my house trying to get thru the 1st one-ugh!

Any suggestions on getting this put on more easily? I can't get to my sewing machine store today, but I've got a WalMart nearby if there is anything they might have. I've heard of fabric glue that might work, anyone have any comments/suggestions/ideas????

I just think my fingers will be numb by the time I get done hand sewing them all on!!! :)

Hi Karen,

I noticed you're from Rochester--I'm in Churchville, so we're practically neighbors! I know what you're going through, with 2 of my own in scouts. Try getting a bottle of "no sew" or some similar fabric glue--might be available in the sewing section in Walmart or the craft section. I've had to resort to the glue on more than one occasion when I discovered the boys had to have their new patches on by the mtg that night! Good luck!

Won't help you now but my DH is a scout master and when he went to Jamboree 8 or 10 years ago, he needed 5 sets of his uniform so I sewed velcro on the shirts where the patches go and he sewed velcro on the backs of the patches (we were both sewing at the same time). That way his patches were just moved from shirt to shirt and also didn't shrink and wrinkle up in the wash and dry. He has continued to do his patches this way ever since.

If you want to sew them on later and not have the sticky stuff on anymore, you could staple them or safety pin them. I went to many activities as a Girl Scout with things staple or safety pinned on and they seem to stay better than some of the iron on and glue stuff I have tried to get things to stick with.

Becky

I always used fabric glue for my boys and it worked. They didn't use their shirts real hard but I didn't have a problem with them coming off. I have also hand stitched but like the glue better. lol Jan

Another option is the patch adhesive they sell at the BSA store. Some are already cut to fit "standard" patch sizes.

DS has 1 shirt; DH has 2 (once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout). Lots and lots of patches.

I would NOT recommend the "badge bond" they sell at the scout stores....it NEVER comes off, and stains the fabric.
Unfortunately, I've learned over the years that the only way to make them look nice is to sew them on. I prefer to machine sew them on, but have resorted to hand-sewing some of them. One thing that does work well, for me at least, is to use some packing tape under the patch, to help hold it in place, while you sew them on.

I like the "badge iron-on stuff" that they sell at the Girl Scout Stores. Of course, once it is securely affixed to DD's vest, then I sew it too. I'm just concerned about every single "what-If" scenario.

I hand sew mine using invisible thread. That allows me to go on the inside of the patch--just past the stitched edge. I don't have to make the stitches close together and it holds well. Doesn't take long at all. I also use a thimble. :flower:

Hope you made it for the first meeting - once you get over that hurdle the best advice I can give you is to hand sew the badges on. Yes, it is sort of a pain BUT in the long run when you have to change those rank badges it is a lot easier. I have two in Scouts (well 4 if you count me and DH as leaders) - DS is now an Eagle and DD a Senior Girl Scout. The hand sewn just works better - that glue and iron stuff just doesn't hold. I've never had a problem with patches getting wrinkled in the washing process either with them hand sewn although a friend of mine has with those that she has machine sewn.

Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter