I wonder how many people would have paid for trip insurance if they knew this....

jbbt

DIS Veteran
Orlando Sentinel - Universal Orlando and Walt Disney World want to ease tourists' fears about hurricanes by promising that if a storm gets in the way, people can get their money back.

Both parks announced new policies Thursday that allow vacationers to reschedule or cancel their theme park vacations, without any penalties, in the event of a hurricane.

SeaWorld also has a general policy allowing people to cancel or reschedule because of hurricanes, but it's informal. Still, SeaWorld officials insisted that they consider tropical storms and hurricanes "exceptional circumstances" that call for special consideration.

In Disney's case, vacationers can cancel or reschedule if the National Weather Service posts a hurricane warning for Orlando, or for their hometowns, within seven days of their planned arrivals.

Universal is offering people a chance to cancel or reschedule anytime a named storm threatens, whether or not a specific hurricane warning is issued for Orlando or their hometowns. Universal calls it a "no questions asked" policy.

Both companies said the new policies reflect their old practices, but now are formalized so that people booking vacations can be assured in advance that they can opt out if a hurricane bears down. Both companies posted their policies on their Web sites this week.

The rest of the story is on the homepage of the DIS under "News".

Well trip insurance would also cover what Disney doesn't. Airfare is the biggie as is any offsite hotel or condo rentals.

My trip insurance is mainly covering my airfare, as I'm DVC. Didn't cost much to get at all, but if I've got to cancel, it'll take some of the sting away. So yes, even knowing this I would have still purchased.

Great news for me....we did not take the insurance and are using award miles for some of our flights. I know we would be out of the miles, but not $$$$ OOP. Since we are on the free DDP, everything is basically in our rack rate. For this particular trip ( which I am not worried about hurricanes) looks like at least for weather purposes, we are fortunate to have the new policy to be able to reschedule. Thanks for the post! :thumbsup2

Pam

Keep in mind the insurance also covers you if you "get stuck" in WDW. They will pay up to $200 a day per insured (read as adult on plan) for extra costs. For example, your lodging, meals and extra park ticket costs would be reimbursable. Since children are covered no charge, their meals could be included to reach your $200 per day.

We bought thru insureyourtrip.com. I didn't buy it for the weather possiblities but for other things such as air travel delays, sickness, family emergency, etc...

Mine was on $64.00 instead of the $120.00 disney charges! Its worth it for piece of mind!

That is great, we are driving so this would be a big benefit to us if such a thing occured..

That's great news!

I think I'll still get the insurance, though, in case my son (or any of us really) gets sick right before we're about to leave.

Glad I took it out! $119 for 2 adults and 2 kids free... I'd wouldn't pass it up especially this time of the year! :sunny:

jgreby said:
what is the free DDP?
Disney ran a promo where if you booked by a certain date and agreed to travel between other specified dates, they'd throw in the Dining. :)

Keep in mind most of the trip insurance policies out there don't let you cancel in the event of a hurricane unless the airport or your hotel is shut down for either 8, 24 or 48 hours depending on the policy. The fact that Disney is formalizing this policy is great news and a strong incentive to stay onsite. I would still book travel insurance through insuremytrip or similar sites because that covers travel delays, lost baggage, airfare in the event that the airport does shut down, cancellation for sickness/death, etc. And as a pp mentioned, you are covered when you are "stuck" at WDW. I was able to get a policy that had decent coverage for 2 adults and 2 children - insuring $2000 of pre-paids for only $69. There has to be a 24 hour shutdown under this policy. I would not buy a $350 - $400 policy (that covers only 80% - 90% of pre-paids) that lets me cancel for any reason including fear of an approaching hurricane.

We were leaning towards not getting the insurance for the package but after buying the air insurance DH said to just get it. I probably wouldn't get it again knowing that if there was a hurricane Disney would let us reschedule.
Cindy

in june, we booked our upcoming trip and i asked 3 different CMs about the hurricane situation since i live in south florida and suffered substantial damage to my home during wilma (not to mention not having any a.c. while being 9 months pregnant!). i didn't purchase trip insurance because of their flexible hurricane policy. most hotel chains (at least in florida) also have this policy. since most of out trips are during hurricane season, i always have to ask:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter