• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I Unapologetically Loved D23. Here’s Why.

WebmasterJackie

Senior Editor for The DIS & DCL Fan
Staff member
Administrator
It’s easy to find things to complain about; No new gate announcements, not knowing what size Figment will be, Chapek thinking that beard will soften his slimy smile. But the truth is, we actually have a lot to be grateful for here, and I think some Disney fans are being a little harsh. ~Zoë Wood
Here's another great article written by one of our contributors over on the DIS regarding last weekend's D23 Expo.

I Unapologetically Loved D23. Here’s Why.

Eh. True, I guess compared to 2 years ago when everything was shut down or barely operating this was a pretty nice presentation. But Disney is fully recovered from the pandemic and then some. Revenues and profits are skyrocketing. Given that, I think its fair to expect a little more.

"Though, if you isolate D23 for what it is, a publicity event that allows us to get a foot in the door and see what is to come, we’ve taken a massive step in the right direction. When I saw hundreds of complaints about the blue sky portion of Sunday’s presentation, I was genuinely sad to see so many fans jaded with negativity around simply sharing imagination for a moment. As though just for a few moments, that wasn’t enough.

No, it didn’t come with any promises, but we were allowed a glimpse into what might be to come in a way that made me feel excited again, a first in a really long time for me. As they spoke about Moana and Zootipia, my imagination ran away with it, thinking of all the beautiful things that might happen. I was reminded that this very feeling is what I have always relied on Disney for, a sense of hope, adventure, and excitement for the future. A place to dream. "

That's the problem, it didn't come with any promises for the bigger picture things that Disney fans want. We can imagine on our own, what we want to see from Disney is some level of commitment to actually bringing these things into reality. In reality, what major things were really announced? Especially for WDW?

A new nighttime show for EPCOT, and bringing back Happily Ever After at Magic Kingdom, are simply tacit admission that they screwed up with Harmonious and Enchantment. We knew that the Tiana attraction and TRON were coming. And for DCL, everyone knew a new ship was coming, and would likely result in new routes for at least one of the older ship.

It seems like the article's thesis is that the past several years of COVID somehow excuse the lackluster D23 announcements. But the parts of COVID that can be used as an excuse for putting the brakes on Disney's forward momentum are largely behind us. D23 is supposed to be a forward facing event. There is nothing about COVID that prevented them from making commitments to some really big and exciting projects, even if they came with more conservative timelines. Its not like Disney fans don't understand that these things take time. But there is a difference between couching the exciting ideas as "blue sky" and saying that "we are committed to showing you what's beyond Big Thunder Mountain in the next X number of years". That would have been exciting.

I wasn't there but watch many videos. Overall, very disappointed. Not a lot of detail and a LOT of Blue Sky, which really means nothing. Hoping they over produce and under promise. But not likely.

Last edited:
There was very little to get excited about. The announcements were very thin, mostly stuff we already knew. It seems that, past 2023, Disney doesn't have much in the pipeline. So how will they answer the opening of Epic Universe?

Last edited:
It seems that, past 2023, Disney doesn't have much in the pipeline. So how will they answer the opening of Epic Universe?
With Epic Universe opening in about 2-3 years, if Disney doesn't have something starting now, they won't have anything to compete.
Tron opens next year. Moana looks fun, but nothing to compete with a new park.
Would have expected them to have a detailed plan to compete, but didn't really hear anything. If they do any of the "Blue Sky" projects, they seems 5+ years away which would make them reactive again instead of proactive. (same thing happened with Harry Potter land).

After waiting so long for the return of D23 it was more than disappointing and I would say embarassing what they gave us fans . I would compare it to being hungry and waiting to eat and being given crumbs to eat . Over sold what in the past would have been minor announcements but I guess thats because those were the highlights . Never should have torn down Primeval Whirl at AK until they had a replacement plan not a "we're thinking about maybe doing this " . Give me a break . Bob Chapek owes Josh Damarro an apology for sending him out to give us basically nothing .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter