• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I thought the BWI pool was closed for refurb end of Jan

gogo

DIS Veteran
I'm not a happy camper right now:sad1: Just received in the mail a few minutes ago a letter from BWI that the Luna Park Pool is closed for rehab starting on January 2 until March.

I didn't know about this when I made my reservation and subsequently learned from the Dis that the pool would close at the end of January, so I though we would be fine. We stayed at BWI last year for the first time and really enjoyed it. We didn't use the main pool but we did use the quiet pools and I though it was great how quiet and pretty they were. Now, I'm sure they'll be packed with people since the main one is closed.

Will Disney let me change my reservation to another resort without incurring additional costs associated with cancelling and rebooking. I'm really bummed because we wanted to stay at BW again. We have a standard CL room booked for mid-January.

I'm not 100% certain I will cancel but I'm seriously considering it.

We are staying there in January, too and I was really bummed to get that letter myself :(

If I book at another resort, I don't think it will be club level. One of the reasons I enjoyed BWI so much was because of their club level. I thought it was one of the best that we've tried to date. I was not impressed with the Yacht Club or Beach Club club level. So, if I change my reservation it would probably reduce the cost of my stay.

Will Disney let me do this?

That time of year may not even be warm enough to swim, so it may be a non-issue.

Believe it or not, my son and I have been going to Disney for the last 7 years at close to the same time and we have always been able to use the pools. The BWI courtyard pool was just so pretty and relaxing last year and now I envision it overrun and loud. I recall it didn't seem overly big.

I guess when you are paying deluxe prices, its nice to have the main pool available and the bar at the pool was pretty cool and so I guess that's going to be closed too.

We don't spend as much time at the parks now that my son is older. We like to hang out and enjoy the resorts more and the resort atmosphere. Just bummed. Not sure what I'll decide.

Here's the thing...pools have to be maintained and redone periodically. At places like WDW resorts, that means almost yearly!!! So, January is the best time of year to do it. Fewer people wanting to be in the water. Sure, the water is warm, but you do have to get out, into the somewhat chilly air!!!

I don't think I would consider changing my resort because the pool was going to be closed, especially if you like their club level so much. You should be able to use the pool at SAB while at BW. At least that has been the policy in the past. I doubt the 'quiet' pools are going to be hugely crowded because Luna Park is closed. Kids want the slide..if there is no slide, they usually don't care about just paddling around. But then again, the bar area is a plus, and the quiet pools don't have that option.

I'm not a happy camper right now:sad1: Just received in the mail a few minutes ago a letter from BWI that the Luna Park Pool is closed for rehab starting on January 2 until March.

So they've actually changed the dates of the refurb? Now that's interesting. And odd, since 1/2 is the date shown (on the info side of the Dis, wdwinfo.com, in the refurb section) for the Bakery's closure. Wonder if they really did change it, or if they got that wrong.

gogo said:
Believe it or not, my son and I have been going to Disney for the last 7 years at close to the same time and we have always been able to use the pools. The BWI courtyard pool was just so pretty and relaxing last year and now I envision it overrun and loud. I recall it didn't seem overly big.

I guess when you are paying deluxe prices, its nice to have the main pool available and the bar at the pool was pretty cool and so I guess that's going to be closed too.

We don't spend as much time at the parks now that my son is older. We like to hang out and enjoy the resorts more and the resort atmosphere. Just bummed. Not sure what I'll decide.

Have you tried Poly club level? or GF?

Have you tried Poly club level? or GF?

A couple of years ago I booked a standard garden view at the Poly. There was a small problem with the room and they upgraded us to club level theme park view. That was so wonderful. Now, I know people love the Poly club level but I was not overly impressed. And although the view was wonderful from the lounge, I enjoyed it from the room more. Out of the club levels we have tried, YC, BC, Poly and BWI, the only one I felt a desire to go to again was the BWI.

I would love to stay at the GF club level but too expensive and because my son is an older teen, he enjoys the Boardwalk area to walk around, etc. So, staying at the Epcot area resorts is better suited for now.

I'm going to call Disney and see what type of rooms are available for BC or YC non CL. Maybe, I'll upgrade the room view/size. I've always admired the BC/YC rooms on the ground floor facing the lake. Are those a specific type of room size or are they just more money because they face the lagoon?

And, though I don't really swim, I enjoy sitting by the pool with a drink or book and relaxing. If I do change, it'll just give me another excuse to go back to the BWI the next year, lol.

So they've actually changed the dates of the refurb? Now that's interesting. And odd, since 1/2 is the date shown (on the info side of the Dis, wdwinfo.com, in the refurb section) for the Bakery's closure. Wonder if they really did change it, or if they got that wrong.

Well, I received a letter that states, For Your Future Enjoyment, and then proceeds to give the dates of the Luna Park Pool closure starting on Jan. 2, 2013 and will reopen in early March.

It does not say you can use SAB, but states their two leisure pools located adjacent to the Community Hall or nestled amongst the Rose Courtyard will continue to be available......signed The Cast of Disney's BoardWalk Inn & Villas

Just wanted to mention that I talked to Disney about possibly changing to another resort, but there system was down this evening, so I'll call tomorrow. Anyway, as Goofy4tink mentioned, the operator did say that if a feature pool is down, more than likely you would be able to use SAB at the BC/YC although this wasn't stated in the letter regarding the Luna Park Pool Closure only that the 2 quiet pools are available.

Just an FYI for anyone who might be concerned about this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter