• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I thought I was giving a compliment....ooops!

tiggerlover

<font color=33CC99>Still waiting for "the talk"<br
Well, I guess you have to be careful giving out compliments these days for risk of offending someone. There is a woman at the gym I go to that I also see every now and then socially, well we were at a community event the other evening and I told her she really looked great, that she was just melting away and toning up and she was offended! I couldn't believe it as I was truly only paying her a compliement because I have noticed how much she worked out and how good she looked. I feel bad that she was offended, but gosh, I would love to hear that compliement myself.

:bounce::wave::bounce:

Maybe it is a cultural thing....who knows, but I love to hear those compliments. Gets me to keep going!!!!!!

There is no way to know how people will react to kind words. But I'm with you tiggerlover, if someone told me that, I would at the very least say thank you. DH told me yesterday he noticed my loss in my waist line. That's was nice of him to say, but that just means mt butt will be it's usual large self! Tee Hee, I have been cursed with a small waist and big butt all my life, but I am hoping when I lose the 50 that most of it will be below the waist. A girl's gotta have a dream, eh?

Keep up the good work at the gym, tiggerlover.

Your heart was in the right place, TL! Chalk her reaction up to her having a bad day or something. :)

My hairdresser did a double take last week when we were walking over to the sink and said "did you lose weight?" Made my day. :D

Huh :confused: I suppose she was trying to "bulk up" but I still don't see why she was offended :confused:

Was this woman a fellow American or was she a local? Funny how different cultures can be.

I wish someone would tell <b>me</b> that I was melting away and toning up :rolleyes:

Originally posted by nativetxn
Huh :confused: I suppose she was trying to "bulk up" but I still don't see why she was offended :confused:

Was this woman a fellow American or was she a local? Funny how different cultures can be.

I wish someone would tell <b>me</b> that I was melting away and toning up :rolleyes:

Katholyn, she was an american. Shocked me, that's for sure.

:bounce::wave::bounce:

I dunno, tiggerlover......maybe you weren't supposed to have noticed that she needed to lose weight in the first place! Sounds like a compliment I sure would love to get!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter