I Often Eat Salmon

Julie's Haircut

DIS Veteran
Do you pronounce the "T" in often and the "L" in salmon?

I don't. It seems only people older than me (I'm 58) do. I was taught that those letters were silent.

its hard to sit here and test myself outside of normal conversation, but
I think do pronounce the t in often. You're right, though, it's supposed to be silent.

At least I don't say the l in salmon.:smooth:

I was told both were silent and pronounce them that way.

I was never told the t in "often" is silent, and do pronounce it unless I'm speaking quickly. I never pronounce the L in salmon.

Also, I'm 31, if that means anything.

Perhaps it's a regional thing? I'm in Ontario, Canada, if that means anything.

its hard to sit here and test myself outside of normal conversation, but
I think do pronounce the t in often. You're right, though, it's supposed to be silent.

At least I don't say the l in salmon.:smooth:

I eat Sa(l)mon, often. Albeit, other sea foods more often.
<Especially COD.:fish:

Last edited:

I don't care for "sammin" but I "offen" eat "soardfish" and "scollips" (not sWordfish and scallips)!

My husband holds things in the "poLm" of his hand; I can't get him to say "paaahm".

Silent on both in normal conversation. I Might say SAL-MAN if I am trying to be funny or imitate someone who says it though, but it is intentionally incorrect.

I pronounce them correctly cos I know a bunch of words.:snooty: Besides if you say "sal-mon" it ruins this joke:

Knock, Knock
Who's There?
Sam & Janet
Sam & Janet who?
(sung) Same & Janet evening, you may see a stranger...:tongue:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter