I must be completely insane or not! June/July 2009 TR Updated Nov. 10

mdsouth

DIS Veteran
Cast:
mdsouth (myself, one who the thought of just planning makes me weak in the knees)
DH – (a cheapskate at times – always looking for the best deal, one who loves his sleep and can’t figure out why anyone sane would want to get up early on their vacation)
DS (12) – Rand McNally (Our own home version of GPS – has most of the US atlas memorized and loves to give people directions)
DD (6) – Princess in the making (quite the Drama Queen at times and so sweet the rest of the time)

Chapter 1 (page 4) - Trip Report Begins
Chapter 2 (page 4) - Arrival at CSR
Chapter 3 (page 5) - Walking Right Down the Middle of Main Street
Chapter 4 (page 6) - To Infinity and Beyond!
Chapter 5 (page 6) - Blasting off in Tomorrowland!
Chapter 6 (page 6) - Toontown
Chapter 7 (page 6) - Coronado Springs Resort (CSR)
Chapter 8 (page 7) - More CSR
Chapter 9 (page 8) - MK Day 2
Chapter 10 (page 9) - Family Time at MK
Chapt 10 continued (page 9) - More Family Time at MK, Monorail, Chef Mickey's and DtD
Chapter 11 (page 10) Epcot and Le Cellier
Chapter 12 (page 10) Le Cellier Review

A BIT OF BACKGROUND
My DH has been to WDW twice (both times with me). His first trip was as an adult with me, when we were newly marriage, and DINKS (Double Income No Kids). He liked it okay but did not fall in love with the place like I had hoped. This was probably due to my role as Commanding General as we toured the parks COMMANDO style! He likes to remind me that when he first stepped into the Magic Kingdom, he wanted to just walk slowly and look around Main Street but instead, I grabbed him by the hand and told him we had to rush over to Splash Mountain before the crowds got there and my Dramamine wore off!

Needless, to say, I wish that I had taken into consideration his nature, and how he likes to take things slowly, and deliberately. Then maybe he would have found the magic and been more willing to go on additional adventures to the world with me.

Our First Family Trip with Kids
Somehow, I talked my DH into taking our first family trip with kids in May 2005. My son was 8 at the time and just beginning to love roller coasters. My DD was 2 1/2 years old and a very typical toddler. She was so sweet at times, but liked her routines and would tire easily.
We stayed at CBR. It was very tropical. We loved the little beach and the quiet pool. Unfortunately, taking a cranky toddler on a trip only reinforced the idea that WDW was overwhelming and not what my DH thinks a vacation should be.

Our Initial Plans for Summer 2009 Trip

I have been working at getting us back to Disney since we arrived back from our trip in 2005. My DH said, we'll go back in four years or so when the kids are older. It has been a long, slow wait! My only Disney fix has been the DISboards. :happytv: We have been on two extended family vacations to Myrtle Beach, SC since then. These trips were not exactly ideal relaxing vacations either.:headache: My DH is a man of his word, so now is the time for us to go back to WDW this year. :dance3::dance3::dance3:

I booked the Buy 4/Get 3 Promo deal back on November 8, 2008 for our June trip. I originally had us booked for week of June 21-28. I have had CSR booked since the first week of November. I was feeling really good since I got a great deal, and even finalized my ADRs. I got all the ones I really wanted including (Le Cellier)! :banana::yay:

A DISplanner's Worst Nightmare!
My DH came home a few weeks ago and told me that his company changed the dates for their plant shutdown! I couldn't believe it! The last 13 years the company has closed the plant for the same week every single year. The ONE and Only time I have WDW booked and ADRs finalized, they up and change the week to the week prior to and immediately following 4th of July! :mad: Holey Cow! [/FONT]

I am a teacher, so the summer or Spring Break are really the only times we can go. Plus, my DH has to take off during plant shutdown, so if we went another time, he would have to take days off without pay or use his few precious left-over paid days off. He gets a very limited amount of days off for the entire year (12 - 7 after the mandatory shutdown days). These days are his only ones for the year to use. He tries to keep as many as possible in reserve to use for sick days (we take turns taking off for sick kids), and other things.

Anyway, I ended up rescheduling our arrival date for Sunday, June 28 and we will leave July 5th. :3dglasses

New, dates - arrive Saturday, June 27 and leaving on July 4th.

This time around we are going to try CSR for the first time. We wanted to try a new resort for the fun of it. My son is studying Spanish in junior high and our family loves to eat at Mexican places, so I thought CSR might be a good fit for our family.

popcorn::hey I found you! We went to Disney Land over the 4th of July 2 years ago! It was pretty busy but with a good plan we still were able to do lots and had a great time :yay:

Sacha_L,
Thanks for looking me up! :thumbsup2

I am happy to hear that you went over the fourth and came out alive!

My ticker is incomplete and not working. I know it had the slider before. I must be doing something wrong!:rolleyes1

I saw you mentioned ADR's...I so wish I could book mine already! :lmao: What do you have so far?

Take a look at my ADRs and let me know what you think.

:surfweb:

Friday - Arrival - CS food OOP since our DDplan will not start until Saturday.

Saturday - Lunch - CS
CS dinner at Pepper Market at CSR (I am looking forward to trying out the steak for just a CS credit)

Sunday - not sure yet
Monday - Lunch - CS
Dinner - TS - O'Hanas

Tuesday - Lunch -CS
Dinner - TS - 1900 Park Faire (Grand Floridian)

Wednesday - Lunch - TS Princess Akersaus (Norway) I am thinking about dropping this one.
Dinner - TS San Angel (Mexico)

Thursday - Lunch - TS 50's Prime Time Another one I am thinking of dropping.
Dinner - CS

Friday - Lunch - 2TS Cinderella's Royal Table (Magic Kingdom)
Dinner - TS Chef Mickey's

Saturday - Lunch - CS
Dinner - TS Le Cellier

I have a total count of 9 TS and I will only have 7 TS with the dining plan. So, I need to drop two. I really do not want to may OOP for anything.

I booked Princess Akersaus and then on a whim I tried to get CRT. I couldn't believe I got it! My DD6 is into princesses somewhat, so I know that I want at least one meal with the princesses. I have read good things about the Grand Floridian Princess meal with the Stepsisters so that is why I booked it too. I am just not sure.

San Angel is for my DH. He is being dragged on this trip somewhat, he really doesn't see the need to go (Unbelievable, I know!):scared1: We went to San Angel way back in 1993 on his first trip to WDW (just him and I). We could not get in back in 2005, and that is the only restaurant he has mentioned that he would like to go to on this trip. So, I will keep it.

I am so jealous of your princess TS meals :sad1:there is noooooo wayyyyy I'd get my DH and boys to one :rolleyes: oh well....make sure and post lots of pics for me! What did you guys like about the San Angel resturant? we live in the middle of New Mexico so I was going to skip that one ;) The rest look good to me! I am planning heavy on the character meals for the boys of course! :rotfl:

I am so jealous of your princess TS meals :sad1:there is noooooo wayyyyy I'd get my DH and boys to one :rolleyes: oh well....make sure and post lots of pics for me! What did you guys like about the San Angel resturant? we live in the middle of New Mexico so I was going to skip that one ;) The rest look good to me! I am planning heavy on the character meals for the boys of course! :rotfl:

My DH and I enjoyed the nighttime atmosphere while inside. We thought it was relaxing and neat at the same time. We both like Mexican food so that was a big plus too. He really enjoyed his dinner there. Of course, he can't remember what he ate and neither do I so we won't know what to order.:rotfl:

I am a bit worried about what my DD will eat. :scared:She is an extremely picky eater. Right now, all she wants to eat is mac and cheese, grilled cheese, cheesburgers, and peanut butter. She does like tortilla chips so, I guess we will get an order of those! She also will only drink white milk or water. Absolutely nothing else! I wish I could get her to drink some juice.

I just became a DIS Veteran. :cool1: I was surprised to see all my previous posts (at least those in this thread) changed my status to DIS Veteran too.:confused3

I just assumed that the others would remain as Mouseketeer.

Any fellow early July planners? :confused3

I am really in the need for a buddy or too to plan with and agonize over how crowded it will be! :scared1
:

I read all the Spring Break crowd threads and know that the Buy 4/Get 3 promo has been a great success, so that makes me even more anxious!

I originally had us booked for week of June 21-28. I have had CSR booked since the first week of November. I was feeling really good since I got a great deal, and even finalized my ADRs. I got all the ones I really wanted including (Le Cellier)! :banana:

Then my DH came home a few weeks ago and told me that his company changed the dates for their plant shutdown! I couldn't believe it! The last 13 years the company has closed the plant for the same week every single year. The ONE and Only time I have WDW booked and ADRs finalized, they up and change the week to the week prior to and immediately following 4th of July! :mad: Holey Cow!

I am a teacher, so the summer or Spring Break are really the only times we can go. Plus, my DH has to take off during plant shutdown, so if we went another time, he would have to take days off without pay or use his few precious left-over paid days off. He gets a very limited amount of days off for the entire year (12 - 7 after the mandatory shutdown days). These days are his only ones for the year to use. He tries to keep as many as possible in reserve to use for sick days (we take turns taking off for sick kids), and other things.

Anyway, I ended up rescheduling our arrival date for Sunday, June 28 and we will leave July 5th.

I will post more later - along with a picture or two from our last trip.

We are planning to go the week of July 15 - 21. Yes, I am afraid it will be pretty busy, but you just have to relax and enjoy the time that you are there. I have already got all of my ADRs and had no problems with any times or dates. My main concern is how hot and humid it will probably be. We are used to going around the end of May. All I can really say is, plan, plan, plan. Allow for long lines and lots of crowds.

We are planning to go the week of July 15 - 21. Yes, I am afraid it will be pretty busy, but you just have to relax and enjoy the time that you are there. I have already got all of my ADRs and had no problems with any times or dates. My main concern is how hot and humid it will probably be. We are used to going around the end of May. All I can really say is, plan, plan, plan. Allow for long lines and lots of crowds.

Welcome to my PTR DisneyTinkerbell!

Thanks for the reassurance about the fourth of July crowds.:thumbsup2

I decided to add background information and make my PTR more of a story format with general comments thrown in. So, if you thought you were having a small memory loss or thought you might be now in a Disboard haze, you are not! :rotfl2:

You did not imagine my first post being somewhat boring. This is the NEW and IMPROVED PTR report!

I hope you like it and will stick with me as my own sanity goes from mildly off the charts to CRAZILY INSANE as my Trip countdown drops lower and lower!!:rotfl::rotfl: Speaking of insane. I am having halluations! My countdown tag in my first post should have been 63 days and today's posts should have 62 days. Why does all my posts have the same countdown days no matter what day I posted? Help, I am crazier than I thought!

I saw your post on Rottiemom's PTR and thought I would check yours out. My first trip was July 4th in 2006 and I got hooked. Couldn't figure out when I would ever get back and we ended up getting moved to Tampa,FL, just an hour away.

If I can handle my very first trip on a July 4th and still fall in love, I know you will be able to enjoy.

I saw your post on Rottiemom's PTR and thought I would check yours out. My first trip was July 4th in 2006 and I got hooked. Couldn't figure out when I would ever get back and we ended up getting moved to Tampa,FL, just an hour away.

If I can handle my very first trip on a July 4th and still fall in love, I know you will be able to enjoy.

I appreciate your comments. :yay::yay: I am happy to hear you managed to get over the crowds and still fall in love with WDW. So when are you going back?

I plan on trying yet again to post photos tomorrow. I have to get off now to make sure my oldest is preparing for bed. My littlest is already in bed, but my oldest was staying up later.

I am also mulling over something right now, that I will need some feedback on, so stay tuned everyone!

Ta Ta for now

I try to go at least once a month for a daytrip. I'd go every weekend if I could. We do have two resort stays, one in July with my BFF from TX and another Labor Day Weekend for the free dining.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, you were thinking about cancelling 50's Primetime. Have you ever eaten there? That is one of our favorites.

As far as how did we survive July 4th and still fall in love, I think it was just the magic. We went commando as you mentioned yourself doing. Got back home and our rears didn't leave the couch until bedtime and found the couch again the next day and still didn't move.:laughing:

Well, I need to get the kiddo to school.

I looks like I could move up our vacation start time up a day or two. This would have us leaving either on July 3 or 4 instead of the 5th. I wonder if this would make a difference in the crowds?

I haven't checked UG lately, but previously, the dates were ranked the same I think. Anyone care to share his or her thoughts on this matter?

I plan on checking into it tomorrow to see if I can change the dates and still get the promo deal.

I have been calling WDW the past few days trying to change my dates and keep the Buy 4 Get 3 Free rate. I wanted to arrive a few days earlier and leave a few days earlier to avoid some of the local crowd onslaught over the 4th of July weekend.:scared1:

I was only able to change it one day, so now we will arrive on Saturday, June 28 and check out on July 4th itself. I am not sure :confused3 if I did myself any good though. I am sure Friday is going to be just as bad as the Fourth.

I am only going to lose one of my ADRs, and now I can try to get others set up earlier in the week.

So, now I have to make arrangements for where we will be staying the evening of the Fourth. I definitely need to nail this down, as I know hotels will be booked everywhere.:eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter