I may have ruined myself for moderates forever.

Same boat here years ago we loved POR satyed 3 years in a row but decided on dvc. So SSR and Kadani village have been the main stays last 5 plus years. Poly this summer cant wait. However Aug 2016 we did do a week at POR with free dining and it was still great. POR sure holds its own against the deluxes. In the end I could do Mod easy but not value.

We did POP for a quick trip a couple of years ago. I could definitely see why they are popular, they do provide a great value. I did find that it involved a lot of walking to and from the car. We also missed the queen beds. I will say though if I found the right airfare I would stay in value again in a heart beat if I needed and escape on a tighter budget.

That happens to all of us. We "splurged, just ONE time" last year for poly. We were so in love with deluxe, that when I booked our bounce back at CBR (our old favorite), we just couldn't get excited for it. So we bought DVC so we could stay deluxe forever. Sitting out on the balcony with coffee every morning is such a nice way to start the day. We are staying at poly again next month and AKL savannah view in September(both of our dream resorts). I should have known, because once we tried moderate, we never went back to value.

That happens to all of us. We "splurged, just ONE time" last year for poly. We were so in love with deluxe, that when I booked our bounce back at CBR (our old favorite), we just couldn't get excited for it. So we bought DVC so we could stay deluxe forever. Sitting out on the balcony with coffee every morning is such a nice way to start the day. We are staying at poly again next month and AKL savannah view in September(both of our dream resorts). I should have known, because once we tried moderate, we never went back to value.
With DVC, never try a 1BR
It will ruin you on studios :goodvibes

lol I feel ya! CBR used to be our fave... We did it for five years in a row. Until.. grand floridian last year, now we won't stay anywhere else lol We booked GF again for this Aug
I don't think we will ever return to CBR

I guess we are in the minority here:) I am so glad we did not get drugged by drinking the deluxe kool-aid:drinking1 GF is our all time favorite but the discount prices of a deluxe is so ridiculous. A good example, I priced out 2 trips for March and May and we will be staying at a Mod both trips for what it would cost to stay at a deluxe for just 1 trip. No balcony or indoor hallway(which at WDW we actually prefer the outdoor ones) is really worth that much. We still have a few deluxes we want to stay at, but no way is it hard for us not to stay at a deluxe.

We worked our way around the moderates. Then - about 10 years ago we were feeling rich one day and booked a stay at The Contemporary - in the Garden Wing. We all liked it so much more than the moderates that everyone agreed we didn't want to go back unless we stayed at The Contemporary. After two times there in the Garden Wing - we tried the tower with the theme park view. Now - it's theme park tower or we aren't going. It really is that much better.

So - welcome aboard.

Last edited:

We did the opposite this last trip and "downgraded" to a moderate, carribean beach. Never again will we do that. I to love the balcony for coffee and breakfast in the AM and wine in the PM. We love AKL.

Ugh. I'm really kicking myself for that as well.
Stayed at POR for our first 2 trips and absolutely loved it. 0 complaints, and truly thought that I would be happy staying there for the rest of our foreseeable trips. Then we visited the Poly on one of those first couple of trips and knew that "one day" we would stay there.
Fast Forward to this past summer... my WDW withdrawals were BAD I got curious about renting DVC. There were 6 consecutive nights at the Polynesian available in January, thats it, nothing sooner and nothing else in January. It was fate, 5 months out at the Poly. In the renting process we lost a night, but that allowed us to split the stay between the Poly and the BC.
Now I cant imagine staying anywhere else. The magic at the deluxe resorts is 10x better than at the mods.
POR will always hold a special place in my heart, and i'm actually staying there in May for a short solo weekend trip during F&W. But for our longer trips (boyfriend and I) it will just always have to be deluxe..... :sad2:

Ugh. I'm really kicking myself for that as well.
Stayed at POR for our first 2 trips and absolutely loved it. 0 complaints, and truly thought that I would be happy staying there for the rest of our foreseeable trips. Then we visited the Poly on one of those first couple of trips and knew that "one day" we would stay there.
Fast Forward to this past summer... my WDW withdrawals were BAD I got curious about renting DVC. There were 6 consecutive nights at the Polynesian available in January, thats it, nothing sooner and nothing else in January. It was fate, 5 months out at the Poly. In the renting process we lost a night, but that allowed us to split the stay between the Poly and the BC.
Now I cant imagine staying anywhere else. The magic at the deluxe resorts is 10x better than at the mods.
POR will always hold a special place in my heart, and i'm actually staying there in May for a short solo weekend trip during F&W. But for our longer trips (boyfriend and I) it will just always have to be deluxe..... :sad2:

We are booked to go back to POR for our trip in June, We actually had AKL booked but decided for an 8 day trip the savings was worth it. That was before we spent the weekend at AKL. I looked after we got back and the AP rate for June is sold out. If I had my choice of any resort for the summer trip I would probably go with the YC or BC because of the pool. The one saving grace in all of this the money I save by staying at POR which I know is great should facilitate a couple more weekend trips, where I could try more Deluxes.

Last edited:
This happened to us too, we had stayed at the POP a few times and then went to CSR. After that my DH had me book AKL, BCV and YC but the following year we wanted to save money so we stayed at POR. My DD and DH complained about the resort the entire trip, they hated everything about it. I actually loved the landscaping/theme plus the food court was great but I wasn't a fan of the bus service. After that trip my DH said no more moderates now he only wants to stay at deluxe or DVC resorts at Disney.

It's funny what people like and don't like. We did a split stay at AKV Kidani (rented DVC points) and POR just a few months ago. Minor annoyances with the DVC rooms at AKV, like the single sink in the bathroom that my wife didn't like and the pull out sofa that my son didn't like went away once moved over to POR with its double sinks and two queen beds.

We just booked a 1bedroom at AKL SAVANNAH VIEW For September. I see a point add on coming soon when I realize I need a 1 bedroom from now on.

You will love it. We own DVC AKV and usually stay at Jambo, but booked a Kidani 1bdr, because we were traveling with my parents and wanted the 2nd bathroom for this past November, and it was heaven. I have dreams of that room, with the amazingly large balcony, complete with giraffe viewing!!!! With all of the crazy construction at the moderates DH and I just bought a BCV contract so that we can stay at our second favorite resort during F&W! I think that our April trip to CBR may be one of our last moderate visits.

An AKL balcony is my happy place. We've stayed there twice now, and I LOVE sitting out on the balcony whenever we are in the room. I bet you'll enjoy WL, too. Like AKL, the lobby is stunning and the grounds are gorgeous.

It's funny what people like and don't like. We did a split stay at AKV Kidani (rented DVC points) and POR just a few months ago. Minor annoyances with the DVC rooms at AKV, like the single sink in the bathroom that my wife didn't like and the pull out sofa that my son didn't like went away once moved over to POR with its double sinks and two queen beds.
So true! We did a BC/Pop split a few years back. When we left the BC, we couldn't wait to get to Pop. :rotfl:

So true! We did a BC/Pop split a few years back. When we left the BC, we couldn't wait to get to Pop. :rotfl:
I guess why there's so many resorts to chose from. If we all liked the same one it would be impossible to book. Out of all the resorts we've stayed at, POP was my least favorite, followed by CSR which everyone else seems to love.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter