I LOVE my wife... She's the BEST!!

°O°Joe

A perfect disquise! Ha ha ha!
Well folks. I've officially declared myself an all out Disney geek. I hate saying that because it sounds so bad, but it's for lack of a better term.

Yep, Disney geek is what I am, and here's why:

I was driving down the road today listening to the Meandering Mouse podcast, when I realized - I've only been away from the World for less than a month and already I've just gotta go back. So I'm thinking - I wonder if my wife would allow me to go - all by myself - to Disney World on Father's Day for my Father's Day present. I figured it couldn't cost that much and I could probably get a good enough deal on a Travelocity last minute deal or something similar... Don't get me wrong, I love taking the wife and kids on a family vacation, but I've always thought it would be cool to go just by myself and not have to worry about what everyone else wants to do - and just kind of do whatever.

So I got home tonight and started (somewhat secretively) searching on the internet for some deals... Well sure enough I found a fairly good deal on Travelocity for a little under $300 for roundtrip flight from Moline, IL, a one night stay in a roachtel on Irlo Bronson Memorial Hgwy a couple miles from World Drive and a one day car rental from Alamo. I thought this was a pretty good deal...

So I presented it to my wife and at first she said H--E--double hocky stick NO!! She said "I'm not gonna get the kids all packed up for a one day trip - it's just not worth it...!" When I explained to her that I was just talking about going by myself she said "Oh, that would be fine" I couldn't believe it!! She's actually going to stay home and watch the kids while I go have fun for a day at Disney World... Is that the best Father's Day present OR WHAT?!?!

Needless to say I'm real happy right now. The only drawbacks are - to get the good deal I have to go on a Tuesday so I'm forced to take a day off work (if you consider that a drawback), and I only have from noon until midnight on Tuesday (MK closes at midnight) - so I don't have much time... oh, and I'm not so sure about the motel, but it's only to sleep in for five hours and take a shower in, so i figure it can't be that bad...

I was thinking of skipping the Studios - even though it's my second favorite park - there's not really anything there that I can't wait until next time to see... So I'll probably start off at Epcot, head over to MK for a couple hours - then over to AK to ride Everest a few dozen times around closing (8:00) and then back to the MK to finish off the day...

Sorry this is so long - but I just had to share my exciting news!! :yay: :banana: :cool1: :thumbsup2 :goodvibes :bounce:

Congratulations! Have a great trip!

Dh and I have discussed each of us doing solo trips....but the kids have the bug almost worse than we do. We briefly discussed sending just dh and ds (11yo) next week for Star Wars Weekends....but dh refused to go without me and the girls :confused3 We do trade off days to ourselves on our family vacations.

It is hard having to adapt to what everyone else has to do. Enjoy your day for you.

Wow what a great wife you have! Congratulations on that AND your trip!

Will you be actually missing Father's Day at home with your kids? How do they feel about that? How do they feel that you're going by yourself, without them?

Haa Ha HA that is to awesome!!!! We went last year on fathers day and when we got back i booked our next trip on my birthday in sept as a present to me ha ha for next fathers day too!!!!! this might become a tearly fathers day present....We need a fathers day support group.....

Schmeck said:
Will you be actually missing Father's Day at home with your kids? How do they feel about that? How do they feel that you're going by yourself, without them?

If you read the entire post, you'll have noted that I'm going on a Tuesday (the Tuesday after Father's Day). As far as the kids go - Anna is too young to understand and Olivia - as soon as my wife made the decision to let me go I told Olivia (she's five) and she said "Awesome". I'm also taking her back to Disney World this fall, just me and her - and like I said, we just got back May 9th - so I think that's why it's not a big deal to her...

°O°Joe said:
If you read the entire post, you'll have noted that I'm going on a Tuesday (the Tuesday after Father's Day). As far as the kids go - Anna is too young to understand and Olivia - as soon as my wife made the decision to let me go I told Olivia (she's five) and she said "Awesome". I'm also taking her back to Disney World this fall, just me and her - and like I said, we just got back May 9th - so I think that's why it's not a big deal to her...

Have fun! How awesome. I want this for mother's day next year :goodvibes

Ishy said:
What did you do for her on Mothers Day?

Hope it was good.....

Well, I'm not the best at gift giving. Usually the way we do things in our house, as far as giving gifts for holidays and birthdays, we usually just tell the other exactly what we want and they go out and buy it. It's really kind of silly and boring, but that's how we've done things for years... we don't even get each other cards.

That being said - this year she wanted (and got) a Down Comforter... I also try to do a little more around the house that day and I usually offer to take the kids if she wants to go off and spend some alone time or with her Mom.

But after this... after this I'm going to have to go all out next year. She's been hinting at some diamond earings... and she likes to shop, maybe I'll suggest she take a day sometime this summer and go up to Chicago with a couple friends to go shopping...

Don't worry, I'm not the type of person to take something like this and not give anything in return...

I can't imagine going there alone, without any loved ones at all. Especially not without my husband. It wouldn't be any fun for me AT ALL. In fact, it would be one of the worst times in my life I think! :(

Have fun? I think you're going to need it.

BluOrchid2 said:
I can't imagine going there alone, without any loved ones at all. Especially not without my husband. It wouldn't be any fun for me AT ALL. In fact, it would be one of the worst times in my life I think! :(

Nah, it's great going with loved ones or by yourself. I've done both plenty of times. Being a FL resident, sometimes I'll go just to get away and relax - Epcot is PERFECT for that. You can take your time, do whatever you want, just stroll around taking it all in. Don't get me wrong, if I had to choose between going with friends/family or going by myself, more times than not I'd go with loved ones. However, don't discount the benefits of alone time either!

BluOrchid2 said:
Well, actually I spent the better part of one morning at the Magic Kingdom by myself on the 9th and had a very nice time. I just like to walk around and look at things that I wouldn't normally pay attention to when with my wife and kids... just kind of relax and take things easy. Like I said, I love going to the World with the family, we've gone once a year for the past three years and will probably continue to go for the next 10 or more...

Yeah, I like my alone time. And to be honest, I'm sorry that you can't enjoy things on your own.

BluOrchid2 said:
I don't think I'm going to need it. I know how to have fun.

°O°Joe said:
Well, actually I spent the better part of one morning at the Magic Kingdom by myself on the 9th and had a very nice time. I just like to walk around and look at things that I wouldn't normally pay attention to when with my wife and kids... just kind of relax and take things easy. Like I said, I love going to the World with the family, we've gone once a year for the past three years and will probably continue to go for the next 10 or more...

Yeah, I like my alone time. And to be honest, I'm sorry that you can't enjoy things on your own.

I don't think I'm going to need it. I know how to have fun.

You got it. It's easy to appreciate Disney when by yourself. Have a great time.

Oh I like my alone time, too. And I do enjoy things on my own. Things like bike riding through the conservation area near my house, going to the library or bookstore, wandering through the mall. NOT special, fantastic places like WDW. My husband and I both love WDW so much, and I would be very unhappy not being able to share it with him.

I can understand wanting to take a trip without the kids....I'm looking forward to doing that with him in about 10 or 15 years. But I would never ever want to go without him.

BluOrchid2 said:
My husband and I both love WDW so much, and I would be very unhappy not being able to share it with him.

That could be the difference right there... When it comes to Disney World my wife could take it or leave it.

But I'm the type of person that doesn't mind doing these types of things on my own... like going to the movies, sporting events, etc... heck there's not a whole lot of things that I can think of that I wouldn't have fun doing on my own... it's just my personality.

°O°Joe said:
That could be the difference right there... When it comes to Disney World my wife could take it or leave it..

My wife is the same, she could take or leave it. Me on the other I am a Disney nut. I keep joking with me wife that when I retire i am going move to FL and become a CM at WDW.

I sure wish I could just pack and go like you Joe but my wife would have a fit. Leave her with 3 kids while I went off and had fun, no way. Good luck have fun and say to Mickey for me.

Dave

Joe, I realized my mistake after I posted (I should never post before having at least 3 cups of tea, I guess!) but I didn't have time to come back and edit it, sorry! Hope you have a great time, glad the kids and wife understand and are happy for you!

Although I'd love go solo,my wife and kids would never let me go by myself.They'd be too affraid I'd never come back.Hope you have a great time,and could you please go on splash mtn for me?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter