I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a stupid question... but I keep seeing that you can’t have two sapphires at once. If you successfully are able to double dip for csp/csr, how much of a risk is it that they’d shut one or both down? I have to imagine that dps point to that not happening given that recommendations to try to double persist, but I guess I’m afraid we would try for both and then lose them.

I want to say again how amazing you guys are here! The way you jump in to help newbies is heartwarming. I am catching up on the thread from last night so I got to read all the helpful answers for all the new people here today. You put a smile on my face with your generous doling out of advice. :love:

I think I'm ready to start phase II..... Going to apply for CSR in dh name next month. When he is approved, if I wait until the card is on the way then have him call to have a card expedited, we should have an extra card so I can hopefully help on the MSR. (Unless I have an overzealous clerk who doesn’t think I look like a Ralph!:D)

Once we meet MSR on the card I will apply using his link. The only way I can double dip both CSR/CSP is if the clouds align perfectly and he doesn't need open heart surgery until sometime between July 15 and October 1, so I would be able to meet MSR on both. I'm not counting on that though.

My question: Can I transfer UR from his CSR account to my CSR account as long as we are in the same household, no AU needed? And is there a fee for this? It looks like if I want to transfer to another loyalty program we would need to have an AU. What prevents me from transferring his points to my ur acct THEN transferring those points to my loyalty program or vice versa? Also, if one of us were to die what happens to those points? Sorry for being so morbid, but dying is just another phase of life, right?

Brand new to UR and still waiting to meet MSR on my CIP so really have no idea how this all works and only so much googling before my brain crashes.
The CIP earns 3x UR on our monthly internet and cell phone bills too, and comes with cell phone insurance if you pay your cell phone bill for that phone with the CIP.
We have a family plan with 4 phones. Will the insurance cover all four or just the account holder?

My question: Can I transfer UR from his CSR account to my CSR account as long as we are in the same household, no AU needed? And is there a fee for this? It looks like if I want to transfer to another loyalty program we would need to have an AU. What prevents me from transferring his points to my ur acct THEN transferring those points to my loyalty program or vice versa? Also, if one of us were to die what happens to those points? Sorry for being so morbid, but dying is just another phase of life, right?

Yes, you can transfer his CSR UR to yours if you are in the same household.

No, no fee.

As far as I know, there isn't anything to prevent you from transferring DH UR-->your UR-->your loyalty program (or vice versa).

Not sure what happens upon death, although my guess is that until the card companies are notified they wouldn't know about said death so...if spouse A dies, then spouse B would transfer UR and then tell Chase about the passing.

I hope all goes well with your DH's surgery (if needed) and the last point will be not addressed for a long long time!

Not sure why Delta is $200 more, especially if they are the same flight. Alitalia is a partner airline (based in Italy). We've flown it from Amsterdam to Rome, fairly unremarkable flight and service.

AFAIK, you'll still get miles and MQMs if you fly a code share... Delta changed the amounts last year but we were in economy plus flying KLM over New Year's and earned the same mqms/mqds/miles as we would have on Delta (it was for delta medallion platinum so I was watching closely!). I don't know if regular economy or the new basic economy (beware- no checked bags with basic economy) are 1:1. There's a chart on Delta's website with codeshare earning percentages.

Hope you enjoy Rome :)

It is not for me it is for my daughter who is visiting her friend who is studying there. I just googled some info about Alitalia and they
have filed bankruptcy so some travel blogs suggest not booking with them as the flight might be canceled. That is just great>:(
I'm having the hardest time trying to book something from West Coast direct to Rome not using Alitalia. I called Delta and said
what happens if the flight is canceled. She actually said "Check with your credit card company they should refund you" Huh?
And she gave no option on how she would get there. Now im stuck with finding a flight with a connection in a foreign airport.
As someone who has sat at Heathrow 4 hours because of fog and rain delay I rather avoid there. Some of the connecting airport
are Paris Amsterdam Switzerland and Copenhagen. Any suggestions? Im tempted to wait until Norwegian has a direct
connection sale. Right now it is 1100:worried:

With your current cards, I would recommend what @Lain suggest regarding buying WM GC's using ChasePay on Walmart.com and then using those to buy from Sam's at the discounted price. I buy them online but since the price increases before you'd have them, you'll have to head into the store. That would earn you 5x UR on the Freedom (7.5x once moved to the CSR) and then the 4% discount at Sam's. I can do better at the grocery store but the stars have to be aligned just right and they aren't right now so I'll be using the above method as well :)

Thanks @wendow and @Lain. The more i thought about it, the more I agree walmart with freedom, then to Sam's, should be the best I can do. Thanks all!

Oh another note, I completely missed the dolphin moving to cat 5 and soon too! So disappointing as we're low on spg, but we were working on replenishing. DH just got his spg and I just did mariott intending to transfer. I don't think we can meet, get points and book in time. I saw the swan is now 16k/nt (yikes!). Did i miss the number of points the dolphin will be? I saw a cat 5 is 12-16k points. Sorry been swamped lately and have had a hard time keeping up here.

I know this is a stupid question... but I keep seeing that you can’t have two sapphires at once. If you successfully are able to double dip for csp/csr, how much of a risk is it that they’d shut one or both down? I have to imagine that dps point to that not happening given that recommendations to try to double persist, but I guess I’m afraid we would try for both and then lose them.

I just did the double dip. Opened them in late December. My CSR has already closed this statement and 50,000 bonus points posted. My CSP will close in 2 days and it finally says 50,000 points pending. Yay, I did it! I wasn't nervous about shutdown, but I was nervous I wouldn't get both bonuses. I was 3/24 with 2 of those being 2/12 when I applied. I didn't double dip efficiently since I used slots 4 and 5 at same time instead of 5 and 6, but oh well.

We have a family plan with 4 phones. Will the insurance cover all four or just the account holder?

The CIP phone insurance does have limitations. Among them, it’ll cover only you the account holder, unless you can somehow claim your family members as employees on the cell phone account.

https://millionmilesecrets.com/2016/11/27/chase-ink-business-preferred-cell-phone-insurance/

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/11/08/chase-card-cell-phone-protection/

It is not for me it is for my daughter who is visiting her friend who is studying there. I just googled some info about Alitalia and they
have filed bankruptcy so some travel blogs suggest not booking with them as the flight might be canceled. That is just great>:(
I'm having the hardest time trying to book something from West Coast direct to Rome not using Alitalia. I called Delta and said
what happens if the flight is canceled. She actually said "Check with your credit card company they should refund you" Huh?
And she gave no option on how she would get there. Now im stuck with finding a flight with a connection in a foreign airport.
As someone who has sat at Heathrow 4 hours because of fog and rain delay I rather avoid there. Some of the connecting airport
are Paris Amsterdam Switzerland and Copenhagen. Any suggestions? Im tempted to wait until Norwegian has a direct

Not necessarily. If you don't want to connect in a foreign airport, I'd suggest starting with a positioning flight to another city in the US that offers a direct flight to Rome. I do this every so often when I'm trying to get a specific flight whether it's for the lie flat seats or a particular airline. This summer when we go to China I wanted to fly Singapore Air and try out their suites class. Well, they don't fly out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Therefore, I booked a positioning flight to JFK on Delta from Ft. Lauderdale. Once there, I will catch my flight on Singapore Air. Just another thought.

Not necessarily. If you don't want to connect in a foreign airport, I'd suggest starting with a positioning flight to another city in the US that offers a direct flight to Rome. I do this every so often when I'm trying to get a specific flight whether it's for the lie flat seats or a particular airline. This summer when we go to China I wanted to fly Singapore Air and try out their suites class. Well, they don't fly out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Therefore, I booked a positioning flight to JFK on Delta from Ft. Lauderdale. Once there, I will catch my flight on Singapore Air. Just another thought.

I actually thought of that BUT won't you be getting off plane go get your luggage then turn around and check back
in go through security etc? Did you just pay/use miles for 2 different flights?

it depends on your current status and your rate of application. Chase seems to be a bit trigger happy on shutdowns if you apply super quick. If you have applied for another chase card for while, hitting these 2 cards at once shouldnt be a problem. So far when to DP, hitting both Sapphire Cards has not trigger a shutdown. as for your next card, id avoid applying to chase if its within 2-3 months.

No, no fee.

As far as I know, there isn't anything to prevent you from transferring DH UR-->your UR-->your loyalty program (or vice versa).

Not sure what happens upon death, although my guess is that until the card companies are notified they wouldn't know about said death so...if spouse A dies, then spouse B would transfer UR and then tell Chase about the passing.

I hope all goes well with your DH's surgery (if needed) and the last point will be not addressed for a long long time!
:thanks: Thanks for your clarification and thanks also for your well wishes. He WILL have surgery, it's just a matter of time.

The CIP phone insurance does have limitations. Among them, it’ll cover only you the account holder, unless you can somehow claim your family members as employees on the cell phone account.

https://millionmilesecrets.com/2016/11/27/chase-ink-business-preferred-cell-phone-insurance/

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/11/08/chase-card-cell-phone-protection/

:thanks: Thank you for those very helpful links.

No, no fee.

Thanks for this info! I didnt even know you could transfer points if in same household! :)

Just pulled the trigger for DH on the Marriott Biz. Figured we could both get our free night around the same time next year (then cancel). I got the 30 day on mine and was approved two days later.

After getting the “please call ASAP”, thought about waiting it out, but figured what the heck, will just have DH call since most DPs seem to indicate it’s just for verification. And verification it was! Approved for 5K and now we will have two Marriott Biz cards to work on while we cool off from Chase until June/July. DH got 4 Chase cards (3 personal, 1 Biz) in the last 9 months (he has 5 Chase cards overall), so was a little iffy at first about applying, but he’s had a relationship with Chase for a while and based on shutdown reports, he didn’t seem to be at much risk. Waited 3 months since his last Chase card and he’s still 3/24. I also reduced the CL on his SW Biz, which I’ll be cancelling come July, and his Disney card simultaneously to get his CL/income ratio down, so not sure if that also helped (granted it wasn’t auto approval, but a 5 min verification phone call was all it took).

have filed bankruptcy so some travel blogs suggest not booking with them as the flight might be canceled. That is just great:(

I didn't want to mention the bankruptcy since Aitalia has been on the brink...then new investors...then on the brink...rinse and repeat several times and I wasn't sure if they were again in financial trouble. Honestly if they are back to being on the brink that would make me nervous! We always have to connect in Atlanta then perhaps somewhere else so I'm pretty comfortable with AMS, LHR and CDG. AMS is my favorite...probably because we've connected there the most frequently. There are lots of low cost airlines once she gets to Europe so maybe just getting her somewhere on a fare sale then having her hop on a Ryanair/EZJet/etc flight. As far as I know, if she checked a bag, yes, she'd have to claim it, go through immigration and get back through to her flight...all of which can be time consuming. Sort of the time v. money conundrum! If you don't have to decide immediately, I'd probably wait for a sale...although they might not be as good with forecasted oil prices increasing :sad1:

I actually thought of that BUT won't you be getting off plane go get your luggage then turn around and check back
in go through security etc? Did you just pay/use miles for 2 different flights?

Yup which is why I have plenty of time between flights for this one. Yes. I used some Sky Pesos to book our Delta flights from FLL-JFK. The SQ flights were mostly SPG points transferred to Singapore's Kris Flyer miles with the 5,000 bonus points for every 20,000 transferred and a handful of MR points and some left over TYP. Global entry gets me TSA pre-checked most of the time so I don't spend much time going through security. After that we would head to the lounge and relax before the next flight.

It might just be spouse to spouse...but I know the same household is a definite requirement (I guess they look at billing address?). I'm sure someone like @SouthFayetteFan or @calypso726 might know the exact rule better :)

Chase personal cards: You can transfer UR points to another UR card account belonging to you or one member of your household.
Chase business cards: You can transfer UR points to another UR card account belonging to you or one member of your household or your joint business owner.

Keep in mind the rules for transferring UR points to another person's loyalty account (UA, BA, SW, IHG, Marriott etc.) are different. The person has to be a member of your household and an authorized user on your account.

Yup which is why I have plenty of time between flights for this one. Yes. I used some Sky Pesos to book our Delta flights from FLL-JFK. The SQ flights were mostly SPG points transferred to Singapore's Kris Flyer miles with the 5,000 bonus points for every 20,000 transferred and a handful of MR points and some left over TYP. Global entry gets me TSA pre-checked most of the time so I don't spend much time going through security. After that we would head to the lounge and relax before the next flight.

You ever thought about holding a seminar?:D

You may want to get more feedback from the thread before applying.

But to part of your question:

Conventional wisdom says double dipping a business card and a personal card on the same day does not combine hard pulls; Chase will pull credit reports twice for the business line and the personal line of credit. So there's not really any advantage to applying for the Marriott business and personal cards on the same day other than it'll get you two cards in hand at or about the same time.

You can apply for the Marriott business and personal card on the same day if you can manage the combined minimum spending requirements, or space out the applications, but you should apply for the Marriott business card first, especially if you plan on applying for two Marriott cards on the same day or within 30 days.

Apply for the Marriott business card first because Chase has an informal 0/30 rule that denies approval for a business card if you've had any other credit card applications with Chase in the past 30 days. If you apply for the Marriott personal card first, that would count as 1/30 and push your business application out another 30 days. Make sure the business card is approved before you go for the personal card. If you aren't auto-approved and perhaps got the we'll let you know in 30 days message, call the automated status line at 1-800-432-3117 after an hour to check the status of your application. If you still aren't approved, you could either wait it out to see if you'll be approved within the next few days, putting your Marriott personal application on hold until then; or call recon at 1-888-270-2127 to get the Marriott business card approved. If you call recon on a business card application, be sure you're comfortable about the possibility of talking about your business.

Start applying early during regular business hours of a non-holiday weekday in case you need to call Chase reconsideration or verification departments. For Chase business cards, it's typical to get a "we'll let you know our decision in 30 days" response to your application.

After the Marriott business card is approved, then go for the Marriott personal card. If you are applying for a second card on the same day, use a different internet browser or an incognito window for the second application, otherwise Chase may combine the apps thinking they're accidental duplicates. If it isn't auto-approved, call the automated status line after an hour. If you still aren't approved, you can keep checking the automated status line and wait it out, or call recon to get it approved. Chase has an informal 2/30 rule that limits you to only two applications every 30 days or else you’ll be rejected automatically.
Thanks for the detailed response!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter