I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should be fine if the job was done correctly. Usually they also waterproof your walls as well as the trenching and piping. One of the things to check when you are looking at a house is musty smell and the baseboards if you have a finished area in the basement.
Crazy enough - we have a French drain and sump pump setup. Our problem this week was there was so much water the pump couldn’t keep up. IT Was wild - but as an example, my in laws who’ve never had water issues in 20 years has water in their basement so it was potentially the worse rain event in 2 decades!! We installed a super crazy pump with battery backup secondary pump system yesterday in hopes to avoid an issue like this in the future. Move that water faster!! LOL!

OMG, they swapped which sides the SW wanna get away and business select fares show up on. I almost had a heart attack that the flight I looked at yesterday had gone from $161 to $603 :scared1: Then I figured it out.
That new site is So frustrating - stupid stuff like this bugs me. It worked just fine before! LOL!

I put together some 101 type info on bank bonuses on our Reddit thread for anyone thinking about/starting to jump in the bank churning game :)
Thanks for doing that :)

So first off, ok it wasn't just me with the AmEx offers today :) I had like 90 on my everyday card and when I logged in I'm down to like 20 something. I know there weren't 70 offers expiring this week. I would think they got the hint that since I haven't added them yet I'm not going to and helpfully removed them for me :) But it's AmEx, really they probably glitched and there's awesome new offers out there I'm missing too :rolleyes:

Rats, I think you are right @Judique and I was hoping you'd say you got it today :) I thought I got my CIC about a week from approval and hoped Marriott would be the same. But @Lain 's scaring me with the 2 weeks so I think I'll see if hubby can call today and check on it/get it expedited. Thanks!

They told me 10 days, so I am waiting it out. I signed up for informed delivery earlier this afternoon, and it's saying no mail so I'm guessing it hasn't processed me yet. It's almost 7 and no mail here yet. I am almost certain my post man delivers in the middle of the night.....there was mail in my box when I took the garbage to the curb this morning at 6am, but not when I checked around 5pm yesterday. I will let you know as soon as I get it.

They told me 10 days, so I am waiting it out. I signed up for informed delivery earlier this afternoon, and it's saying no mail so I'm guessing it hasn't processed me yet. It's almost 7 and no mail here yet. I am almost certain my post man delivers in the middle of the night.....there was mail in my box when I took the garbage to the curb this morning at 6am, but not when I checked around 5pm yesterday. I will let you know as soon as I get it.
Fun fact about @Judique : her post man is a Vampire.

@Lain was correct about my situation. I had brought a copy of the lease to the bank as well. I don't use a management company but it shouldn't matter. It's still a legit business. Does the management company take care of your state and local taxes? In FL, I pay county and state sales and use tax. I brought the state tax documents as proof.

I do my own taxes. The rental gets put in with my reg stuff since it's just the one rental and all under my name. I do have to pay state taxes to NC but it's never much. The mgmt does provide the tax document I need. Good to know I have options. Thanks!

So the bottom line is, Marriott and SPG rewards programs are merging. Right now you can join both programs and link them to transfer points back and forth. 3 Marriott points =1Starpoint. As of August, they will all be one currency (sometimes we call them Starriott points) and all SPG points will be converted to 3 of the new Starriott points, whether you want them to or not.

As for the Marriott Card, you have figured out what this thread is all about. Free travel! If you have good credit, pay your credit card balances off each month and haven’t applied for more than 5 credit card in the past 24 months, then there is likely no downside.

There are lots of other cards you can get as well. Most of us start with Chase cards because they have a restriction that you can’t get more than 5 cards in 24 months (referred to as 5/24) from any issuer or Chase will deny you.

Let us know your other travel plans (do you need flights etc) any cards you have and whether you have a spouse who would also apply for cards, and people here can give you recommendations

You're on the right track! No known pitfalls. As long as you are under 5/24, the new Marriott card would be perfect for you. If you're over 5/24, then you could look at the Marriott Business card.

As far as the SPG cards, the good bonuses dried up after they announced some of the merger information a couple of months ago. 1 SPG point would be equal to 3 Marriott points.
Thank you both for explaining the confusing Marriott/SPG transition stuff. I already have 3 Chase credit cards (no other cards except a Kohls charge card). One Chase card I haven't used in many years, not sure why I even still have it. The other two I use monthly and pay the balances right off. I've had all these cards for at least 5 years. So hopefully I get approved for the Marriott card and bonus. 100,000 Marriott points is almost as good as the 35,000 Starwood points.

DH has an AMEX Delta Skymiles card. I need to check to see how many miles he has earned now. We haven't redeemed any for flights in several years. But when I looked for Skymile flights to South Africa on Delta, the number of miles needed for a regular seat was humongous - 224,000 miles for a round trip ticket!!!! We are thinking of breaking up the flight to SA with an over night stop in London. I can probably get flights for about $1000 per ticket. if you have any other ideas for flights, please chime in!

Last edited:
Haha, for several months ours came at 9pm every night!

So glad your husband is willing to call and it’s something as simple as verification!
They didn't tell him he was approved pending verification...I'd feel better if they had used those words. I hope it doesn't take long for them to process the faxed documents. How long do you think he should wait before he starts pestering them? Would the automated status line change to approved or has that ship sailed?

They didn't tell him he was approved pending verification...I'd feel better if they had used those words. I hope it doesn't take long for them to process the faxed documents. How long do you think he should wait before he starts pestering them? Would the automated status line change to approved or has that ship sailed?

The automated line can change back to two weeks or approved after you submit what they need. So just go back to calling the automated line again. Good luck!

Crazy enough - we have a French drain and sump pump setup. Our problem this week was there was so much water the pump couldn’t keep up. IT Was wild - but as an example, my in laws who’ve never had water issues in 20 years has water in their basement so it was potentially the worse rain event in 2 decades!! We installed a super crazy pump with battery backup secondary pump system yesterday in hopes to avoid an issue like this in the future. Move that water faster!! LOL!

I have a hole for a sump pump and when I moved in there was a non working one sitting in the hole. Eventually I threw it out because it got all rusty and dusty. I've never had any water in this house, but substantial drainage work was done in this neighborhood before I bought and it seems to still be functional. My yard is long and deep and slopes downward and during torrential down pours which we've had this spring, I have small lakes in the lower part of the yard that fairly quickly drain away into the drainage system that was put in place. Thankfully the lakes are not in my basement.

The automated line can change back to two weeks or approved after you submit what they need. So just go back to calling the automated line again. Good luck!
Excellent, thanks! We need this card for our HVAC the second week of July!

Checking my mail via informed delivery while on bus from Animal KIngdom to Swan. I think my CIP came yesterday . I did not expedite because I had bought gift cards before we left. WE were able to ride both pandora rides before 9 am and finished the night with 4 back to back EE rides. FOp was still showing 120 at Park close. I am so glad we did it early.

It is late June. I didn’t miss info from Marriott on further hotel categorization details due out this month, did I?

Guys...my week has not gotten better. After my basement flood...and my 3 trips to different Home Depots to purchase a sump pump (they sold me a broken one twice...can’t remember if I shared that sorry of wasting 6+ hours)...Tonight takes the cake...

Apparently the Fairfield Inn I was staying at tonight had a glitch where when I checked in on the App it only transferred my name and email but not my phone # or credit card. They sent me an email at 8:30 giving me 30 minutes to respond or they would cancel my room. When I showed up at 9:30...it was cancelled. They DID NOT cancel the room in my wife’s name because she didn’t check in via the app. (That room was for my sister in laws family).

I can’t even begin to type what occurred over the next hour in that lobby...but I can tell you that they DID NOT provide me (a gold elite member with 1.3million pts) a room tonight. The GM spoke to me on the phone and didn’t even apologize...after prodding they found me a room at a “Quality” Inn about 20 miles away (yes it is “Quality” for a reason ;)). He then told me it was my responsibility to pay for it. I’ll have to provide some addition commentary later on some of the more hilarious portions of this exchange (including the GM saying to me on the phone “I work a 9-5 just like you”...). Also we were told to grab anything from the snack shop by the person at the desk so me and the kids grabbed about $100 worth of stuff LOL! There’s more but it’s late...

I placed a long call to Marriott tonight. I got my free night cert back (good for a year from today) Plus 25,000 points.

The best part is we are going to drive back to the Fairfield tomorrow for breakfast to meet up with sis in law. WOW...Just WOW...what a night, what a week!

Guys...my week has not gotten better. After my basement flood...and my 3 trips to different Home Depots to purchase a sump pump (they sold me a broken one twice...can’t remember if I shared that sorry of wasting 6+ hours)...Tonight takes the cake...

Apparently the Fairfield Inn I was staying at tonight had a glitch where when I checked in on the App it only transferred my name and email but not my phone # or credit card. They sent me an email at 8:30 giving me 30 minutes to respond or they would cancel my room. When I showed up at 9:30...it was cancelled. They DID NOT cancel the room in my wife’s name because she didn’t check in via the app. (That room was for my sister in laws family).

I can’t even begin to type what occurred over the next hour in that lobby...but I can tell you that they DID NOT provide me (a gold elite member with 1.3million pts) a room tonight. The GM spoke to me on the phone and didn’t even apologize...after prodding they found me a room at a “Quality” Inn about 20 miles away (yes it is “Quality” for a reason ;)). He then told me it was my responsibility to pay for it. I’ll have to provide some addition commentary later on some of the more hilarious portions of this exchange (including the GM saying to me on the phone “I work a 9-5 just like you”...). Also we were told to grab anything from the snack shop by the person at the desk so me and the kids grabbed about $100 worth of stuff LOL! There’s more but it’s late...

I placed a long call to Marriott tonight. I got my free night cert back (good for a year from today) Plus 25,000 points.

The best part is we are going to drive back to the Fairfield tomorrow for breakfast to meet up with sis in law. WOW...Just WOW...what a night, what a week!

I’d be flipping out! How can they just cancel a reservation like that??? The extra points are nice, but I’m sure you’d rather everything run smoothly. I hope everything gets better for you.

I am so sorry that happened to you and your family.

How do they expect that you are going to respond to an email within 30 minutes???? Yes, I know that we have smart phones with email, but when I'm driving, I'm not reading email and I don't stop every 30 minutes. Even if you did check in by the app, somewhere in the system your phone number existed and somehow or other you should have had a guaranteed room.

This makes me so upset. It brings back the Best Western incident of a couple years ago, where I made a reservation at the Best Western Smithfield Inn, North Carolina. We arrived very late after having worked all day - maybe 10pm. There was a thunder storm and the electricity went out at the hotel and they couldn't check us in. We were basically told to hit the bricks. We went to the nearby Sheetz to get gas and at that point, coffee. Meanwhile the electricity came back on. Yay! Back we go and we were turned away again! No room, no assistance of any kind. They had rooms - she said she couldn't check us in because the computer system had gone down, as she joked with a maintenance guy.

We went to several more hotels in the immediate area with no success. We drove 20 miles further south and were able to get a less than stellar Quality Inn in Dunn, NC. The staff were nice, the room was very old and dilapidated when we finally got to bed after midnight some time. Calls to Best Western and emails did nothing. There was no apology. They finally processed a refund after 2 weeks. I will sleep in my car before I will ever darken the doorway of a Best Western again. So I know how you feel trying to get to your bed late in the evening and you've done the responsible thing, planning ahead.

I'm sure you have the email, but it sounds shaky to be given 30 minutes to respond - that's just unacceptable to me. A guaranteed room is supposed to stay empty because it's been paid for and is designated for you. It's almost 2 am and I could rant about this all night long!

YIKES. I’d tell you to tweet at them too, but I can tell you from my terrible Marriott experience two months ago that they won’t respond for about 10 days when you do and then don’t give a rats tail about you when they do. I managed to net about 26,000 points from my bad experience by calling corporate, so sounds like you made out pretty well too. Sorry!!

Wow. So sorry about your week! Hope things get better and you have a great remaining vacation. Was this room just for one night? Hope it wasn’t for the whole week.

+1 on the dessert party too.

It's a steep price, but I don't think I've ever had an experience like that at Disney. I kept thinking that it was going to be similar to the dessert party for the fireworks, but boy was I wrong...
downvote for the WOC dessert party...worst money I ever spent..... for the best show ever tho so I'm ok lol. Just saying the DP was ridiculous and I'd never advise it, but the show.... wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter