• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I have to travel for work again in May and I am probably going to book on AA (with my work card). My work will not pay to pick seats or anything like that.

Does anyone know, if I book a flight on AA with one card, can I go back and add seat selection afterwards (which I would use a personal card for)?

*Edit* I see Southwest also flies that route, so same question... if a book a basic fare initially can I add Early Bird later with my own card?

Last edited:
I have to travel for work again in May and I am probably going to book on AA (with my work card). My work will not pay to pick seats or anything like that.

Does anyone know, if I book a flight on AA with one card, can I go back and add seat selection afterwards (which I would use a personal card for)?

*Edit* I see Southwest also flies that route, so same question... if a book a basic fare initially can I add Early Bird later with my own card?
Definately can do this with SW. I’ve done it with work flights before - work Paid for flight and I paid for EBCI. I would expect AA to work the same. They don’t require the same CC.

You can buy Early Bird at anytime. Last year I booked two AA flights with UR points and then upgraded and picked seats using an AMEX platinum so I could use the airline credits.

Oye I went ahead and logged in and paid the 99ish fee (like 75 af plus a late fee) just so I don't get like sent to collections or something crazy. I'm sure I may have been able to avoid that but it's also DH's biz card so I can't just make the phone call and he'll definitely not be impressed with the situation already 🫣. At least at this point all of the credit monitoring reports show nothing out of the usual so fingers crossed that somehow because it's a business card it will slide?

It's so annoying because I hated that card from the get go-it was approved with a ridiculously low limit that made getting the spend requirement hard and they wouldn't raise it. It's like they knew I was going to stiff them on the AF in a year 🤣. Haven't had a ding on my credit in 15 years so this is totally driving me nuts.
I'm sorry. I misread what you wrote. We had a card canceled because we didn't use it, not for non-payment.

But, it's also happened that we overlooked a bill, but called the ccard company who waived all the fees. I'd definitely try that.

For folks with both an Amex gold and platinum…anyone know if gold (not platinum) spend counts toward the $75,000 needed for guest centurion access? Thanks.

Just wanted to say that this is a really terrible policy; I'm sorry for you. Interested if it's within your company policy to buy a fare that includes seat selection and baggage?

Just wanted to say that this is a really terrible policy; I'm sorry for you. Interested if it's within your company policy to buy a fare that includes seat selection and baggage?
Hard to say; I've been with the municipality 20 years but only in the last year or so moved into a role that has occasional travel. They just spent MONTHS revamping the travel policy (I am not sure why) and TBH it might have said this before and I just never noticed. Last time I did have to pay separately for seat selection because I was traveling on Westjet but booked through Delta. My first trip last summer for work, I just booked the more expensive fare that included seat selection.
I will see what happens when I put in my travel request here in a few weeks.

Editing to add... I am not sure about luggage. I try when possible to only use carryon... I'll have to look at it again!

For folks with both an Amex gold and platinum…anyone know if gold (not platinum) spend counts toward the $75,000 needed for guest centurion access? Thanks.

No, the spend needs to be on the Platinum.

You could add up to 3 authorized users (age 13+) for $175 and get access that way. Or 1 free AU on the Morgan Stanley platinum (eligible Morgan Stanley account required).

I only have a small amount of points (10K) at the moment in my Hilton account, but I'm able to use the app to search any stay (while signed in), even though I don't have the points. I just tried it and it still works. It shows the points price per night for each type of room, once you select the specific room, then you can click the "Rate Details" and see the total price in points for the entire stay.
thanks!

I haven't been able to find the bonus tracker on my CIC. Card has been opened since the 11th. This has me concerned. How long does it take?

I haven't been able to find the bonus tracker on my CIC. Card has been opened since the 11th. This has me concerned. How long does it take?
Are you looking in the app or through a browser? I have two bonuses I'm working on now and I can see the tracker for both in the app if I click on Rewards and Benefits just below the transactions. I don't see the tracker if I use a browser.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter