I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Advice please!
We're considering applying for the Citi Custom Card for 5% in the most used category. I would like to have 2 separate accounts. Each account would be joint accounts. I'd be primary on one account (for groceries) and my DH would be primary on the other (gas).
Can we both apply at the same time (or minutes apart)??? Is that wise?

Something else to consider....
We have another very old Citi card that they have been trying to get us to convert to a Citi Rewards card (I think, because it has rewards, but nothing special IMO).
----Do you think they would convert it to the Citi Custom for 5% and would that be a smarter move vs applying for a new account. (Is converting an "old" account "a credit score hit"????)

Info:
-got a Shell gas card 7-8 months ago which is a Citi backed card. :rolleyes2 (I don't recommend that card!!)
-got a Visa about 15mths ago.
-We have several other brands of cards, some actively used and some not.
Thanks in advance!!!!
I would not make your spouse an Authorized User. This will make each person’s credit report show two new cards instead of one. The more recently opened cards you have the greater a credit risk you are deemed by some banks. Unfortunately for you Citi is a bank that seems to care about recently opened cards but they do not have a hard rule like Chase does.

I quickly hit the MSR on my IHG biz so DH joined the elevated IHG Biz bandwagon. Not quite instant approval. Got the we're reviewing message and then 6 mins later an email of approval. OK.

I haven't really stayed at Hilton so we've not jumped on the Hilton Biz bandwagon. I had a specific redemption in mind and still have those points but haven't used them yet.... Sticking with what works for me now with Marriott and IHG.

In other CC news, I am starting to hate Citi. First they gave me a low CL on the AA card. When I paid mid-month, it took quite a while before they adjusted available credit to recognize the payment. I tried to use at Staples yesterday (says I have 999 available credit and I had a 600 charge). Would not go through. Two hours later I get a text and call - did you try to buy something at staples? Yes I did but it is too late now to try to redo the purchase! Good thing I have until August to hit the MSR as it will take a while. I am not going to chance taking the card to Canada if it gets flagged for fraud right here. I had planned to use on my upcoming trip.

Planning future travel. I am behind on planning for 2024. So far I just have a trip to Yosemite planned for late summer. Still trying to decide on Spring Break travel - maybe Key West and the Everglades.

I am thinking of something big in 2025. I'll turn 60 and am planning to retire that year! Has anyone here been to Churchill, Manitoba? I'd love to see the polar bears. I am not sure if I can CC hack my way there other than flights to Winnipeg, bank bonus and PYB. Has anyone does this DIY or with a tour (looking for recommendations)? Not necessarily looking for points advice but general. I'm scouring TA as well for advice.
How exciting to start planning your big birthday. Have you looked to see if anything is available to book on the Chase travel Portal?
I too feel behind planning our 2024 travel. I turn 40 this year and I'm taking a girls trip to run the Disney Dopey Challenge in January. Then we are planning on going to Disney World in the spring, no set dates yet waiting for Disney to release the military tickets so see what the blackout dates (seem like they keep adding more blackout dates). For summer we are talking Belize, but we are only going if we can get scuba certified. Another option is Italy, but I'm not mentally prepared to plan another big international trip. We leave for Japan in 3 weeks and all I've been doing is research so I'm kind of burnt out on travel planning.

I stayed at the Hilton Tokyo Bay earlier this month. I only have Gold status (Surpass card) and booked my stay on points. They consider that to be "excellent" status there, meaning you get a room upgrade, executive lounge, and free buffet breakfast each day. Note that you can't buy park tickets at the hotel any longer (unless you reserve a special room package in advance).
Awesome, thank you! Won't bother getting DH the Aspire then.
@becauseimnew I'm late to respond because I was at Tokyo Disney the week this was posted. I did 4 days, 2 at each of the parks. I read all of Tom Bricker's stuff, but he hasn't updated most of it. I did get the new TDR Explorer guide. I thought it was worth it. It was the most comprehensive guide I found. Chasing YouTube videos was frustrating!
The uber planner in me still felt like I was lacking a lot of info going into things. Recent trip reports on here (Other Lands) helped. I'm planning to write one soon.
Thanks, we only have 3 days just bought tickets and did 2 day Sea with one Disneyland day in the middle. Does the TDR Explorer guide help you plan the daily itinerary?

Got my 50K MRs on the BBP #2 and promptly used them to book 2 nights near Disneyland for MouseAdventure this September. Not a good "redemption value" but it works for the way we travel (which is domestically, for cheap, and driving instead of flying).

I cannot seem to make the Virgin Atlantic points work for anything we are actually likely to do, so I've begun the process of getting them transferred to IHG. It's not a chain I normally stay at but with 2 more Disneyland trips coming up and needing to be super conservative with money, I'll take what I can get.

Now to determine the next SUB, assuming I can even manage the spend under my new self-imposed spending restrictions.

DS is going to University of Alabama for 4 nights in July. He will be staying on campus but I am going with him. Any thoughts on staying at the HR in Birmingham vs Embassy Suites in Tuscaloosa? Flights were ridiculous into Birmingham so we are flying in Jackson, MS and making the drive over.
Sorry, no advice for you, but I'd love to hear about your experience when you return. We have an opportunity to see an Alabama football game in the fall and I'm looking at best flights/places to stay, etc..

How exciting to start planning your big birthday. Have you looked to see if anything is available to book on the Chase travel Portal?
I too feel behind planning our 2024 travel. I turn 40 this year and I'm taking a girls trip to run the Disney Dopey Challenge in January. Then we are planning on going to Disney World in the spring, no set dates yet waiting for Disney to release the military tickets so see what the blackout dates (seem like they keep adding more blackout dates). For summer we are talking Belize, but we are only going if we can get scuba certified. Another option is Italy, but I'm not mentally prepared to plan another big international trip. We leave for Japan in 3 weeks and all I've been doing is research so I'm kind of burnt out on travel planning.

Awesome, thank you! Won't bother getting DH the Aspire then.

Thanks, we only have 3 days just bought tickets and did 2 day Sea with one Disneyland day in the middle. Does the TDR Explorer guide help you plan the daily itinerary?
The TDR Explorer guide has some sample daily itineraries. I didn't find them to be nearly detailed or comprehensive enough, but I'm a Type A WDW planner. What did help me was having a description of each of the attractions. Knowing relative popularity and how the rides were the same/differed from the US versions was useful. (I still felt clueless upon entering Sea the first day. I ended up going to ToT first because it's an easy landmark to find! )

Hello. Looking for advice. I'm looking for the best cc to get in order to use the rewards to fly to Europe. Trip is 2 years away.

Excellent credit
Pay cc's off every month

Currently have SW Visa, Disney Visa, Discover Cash Back, Alaska Airlines

Have not applied for a new cc in several years.

Do not want a huge annual fee.

I want to offer my huge thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread. Before I stumbled upon this thread with the crazy name (What's there to love about credit cards?), I had no idea that international travel would ever be an option for me. Yet I just fulfilled a life-long dream and spent 3 weeks on a solo trip to Japan.

The best advice I gleaned was "you do you." Frankly, my income isn't particularly high. I'm careful with money, but I don't have a P2, big MSRs aren't possible, and cards with high annual fees don't make sense. However, I learned it's still possible to make travel happen.

For those interested, here's how I used points and miles to travel to Japan.

Flights: JAL economy using 70,000 AS miles + $70

Hotels:
Dormy Inn Ueno in Tokyo (4 nights)- 25,451 total UR through portal
Solaria Nishetetsu Hotel in Kyoto (6 nights)- 65,909 total UR through portal
Tokyo Station Hotel in Tokyo- (2 nights ) 25,000 Hyatt points/night, total 50,000 UR
Tokyo Hilton Bay- 5 nights, 43,000 per night, 5th night free, total 172,000 Hilton points

Total points for 17 nights:
UR- 91,000
Hilton- 172,000

Credit Cards opened
  • CSP
  • CFU
  • CFF
  • Hilton Honors
  • Hilton Surpass
  • Alaska Personal
  • Alaska Business
  • CIC (helped meet MSR by opening a bank account using credit card funding)

Biggest cash expenditures:
Two night stay at a ryokan- a traditional Japanese inn
Bullet train to/from Kyoto
Local Transportation
Disney tickets
Meals (surprisingly inexpensive)

Cash Sources
  • BofA Cash Rewards card
  • Bank bonuses

Totally doable! And I somehow have enough URs and miles sitting in my accounts that I'm dreaming of my next trip. Thank you, all!

I want to offer my huge thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread. Before I stumbled upon this thread with the crazy name (What's there to love about credit cards?), I had no idea that international travel would ever be an option for me. Yet I just fulfilled a life-long dream and spent 3 weeks on a solo trip to Japan.

The best advice I gleaned was "you do you." Frankly, my income isn't particularly high. I'm careful with money, but I don't have a P2, big MSRs aren't possible, and cards with high annual fees don't make sense. However, I learned it's still possible to make travel happen.

For those interested, here's how I used points and miles to travel to Japan.

Flights: JAL economy using 70,000 AS miles + $70

Hotels:
Dormy Inn Ueno in Tokyo (4 nights)- 25,451 total UR through portal
Solaria Nishetetsu Hotel in Kyoto (6 nights)- 65,909 total UR through portal
Tokyo Station Hotel in Tokyo- (2 nights ) 25,000 Hyatt points/night, total 50,000 UR
Tokyo Hilton Bay- 5 nights, 43,000 per night, 5th night free, total 172,000 Hilton points

Total points for 17 nights:
UR- 91,000
Hilton- 172,000

Credit Cards opened
  • CSP
  • CFU
  • CFF
  • Hilton Honors
  • Hilton Surpass
  • Alaska Personal
  • Alaska Business
  • CIC (helped meet MSR by opening a bank account using credit card funding)

Biggest cash expenditures:
Two night stay at a ryokan- a traditional Japanese inn
Bullet train to/from Kyoto
Local Transportation
Disney tickets
Meals (surprisingly inexpensive)

Cash Sources
  • BofA Cash Rewards card
  • Bank bonuses

Totally doable! And I somehow have enough URs and miles sitting in my accounts that I'm dreaming of my next trip. Thank you, all!

How did you like the Tokyo station hotel? I'll be there 3 nights for part of my Sept solo trip.

Sorry, no advice for you, but I'd love to hear about your experience when you return. We have an opportunity to see an Alabama football game in the fall and I'm looking at best flights/places to stay, etc..
I would stay as close to campus as possible-traffic will be crazy...oh and have fun!

DS is going to University of Alabama for 4 nights in July. He will be staying on campus but I am going with him. Any thoughts on staying at the HR in Birmingham vs Embassy Suites in Tuscaloosa? Flights were ridiculous into Birmingham so we are flying in Jackson, MS and making the drive over.
IIRC the HR B'ham is attached to a mall so you can shop at least while DS is in his program...and at least during 2020/2021 the odds of getting a good upgrade as a globalist were good. Of course, the drive to/from Tuscaloosa is longer, so there's that con.

I cannot imagine the drive from Jackson though...oof! I hope he enjoys his program-it's a fun campus with a lot of school spirit.

Hello. Looking for advice. I'm looking for the best cc to get in order to use the rewards to fly to Europe. Trip is 2 years away.

Excellent credit
Pay cc's off every month

The best card to get you to Europe is going to depend on which airlines service your area, and the area you want to go. The easy answer is start accumulating Chase Ultimate Rewards, probably with Sapphire Preferred, or maybe an Amex card. But the most valuable Amex ones have hefty fees.

I would strongly encourage you to take a deep dive into which airlines have the best options from your airport to your chosen destination. The easiest way is to start with a Google flights search. For example, I live in an American Airlines hub so for me getting AA miles can be extremely valuable in taking me most places. Someone living in a different part of the country may have no use for them at all because AA doesn’t have a large presence there. So do some research, figure out who flys decent routes from your airport, and that will start to give you an idea of the type of points/miles that will help you on your way.

The best card to get you to Europe is going to depend on which airlines service your area, and the area you want to go. The easy answer is start accumulating Chase Ultimate Rewards, probably with Sapphire Preferred, or maybe an Amex card. But the most valuable Amex ones have hefty fees.

I would strongly encourage you to take a deep dive into which airlines have the best options from your airport to your chosen destination. The easiest way is to start with a Google flights search. For example, I live in an American Airlines hub so for me getting AA miles can be extremely valuable in taking me most places. Someone living in a different part of the country may have no use for them at all because AA doesn’t have a large presence there. So do some research, figure out who flys decent routes from your airport, and that will start to give you an idea of the type of points/miles that will help you on your way.
Thank you. We will likely be flying out of SFO. I checked a couple of major city/airports in Europe that are a possibility for us and it does look like there's a good chance we would use AA. I've never gotten a non airline card (like chase saphire) because I'm afraid I won't be able to redeem the airline points I want to.

Can Chase or Amex be redeemed for any airline?

Excellent credit
Pay cc's off every month

I've planned two trips to Europe over the past year on points. Two years is plenty of time to amass points. IFLossU has provided good advice. I will add that you should consider repositioning flight(s) if you do not live near a big international airport. My first trip, I was able to book a good points deal to/from my home airport (that was August 2022 before the demand for international travel had fully returned). This year (just returned) I could only find a good deal on biz class in/out of a big city. We spent a couple of days in New York before catching our flight to London and returned through New York as well. I focused on points for flights in biz class and then tried to get as many points for hotel nights.

Thank you. We will likely be flying out of SFO. I checked a couple of major city/airports in Europe that are a possibility for us and it does look like there's a good chance we would use AA. I've never gotten a non airline card (like chase saphire) because I'm afraid I won't be able to redeem the airline points I want to.

Can Chase or Amex be redeemed for any airline?
SFO is an outstanding airport for international travel. Great availability. If you have a Sapphire Preferred you can transfer points to different airlines, or if you find a good cash rate you can book through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal using points at a rate of 1.25cpp. It’s not always ideal to book using the portal, but can be a simple to use method. If AA has good options you may want to consider getting a couple of different AA cards. Even easier if you have a spouse who is also willing to open a card or 2. When DH and I first started out we each opened a Citi AA business card, and the Aviator Red Card from Barclay. Between those 4 cards you would probably have enough for a few RT in economy.

Who has done an Alaskan cruise to Glacier Bay? We did a Disney Alaskan cruise a few years ago and loved it but I really want to see Glacier Bay. It would be DS, DH and me, so it can't be a cruise line that skews older. Suggestions for which cruise line?
We went to Glacier Bay last year on NCL. We cruised on the Encore and it has areas that were specifically built for Alaska, so the viewing platforms were very nice. They do have some kid activities, but mine were all teens/young adults and mainly hung out and watched the world go by. The scenery was breathtaking.

I’ve heard good things about Princess and would give them a serious look if we go again. We enjoyed NCL, but I would have liked more educational Alaskan experience offerings. We did have NPS guides on the ship as we sailed through Glacier Bay, but it’s my understanding that Princess offers daily talks for those interested.

Who has done an Alaskan cruise to Glacier Bay? We did a Disney Alaskan cruise a few years ago and loved it but I really want to see Glacier Bay. It would be DS, DH and me, so it can't be a cruise line that skews older. Suggestions for which cruise line?
We will be departing on our first Alaskan cruise on June 24th with Princess Cruises. We will be going to Glacier Bay and my DS will be 16. I picked this cruise because of Glacier Bay. When I discussed which would be the best cruise line for Alaska with my TA/friend she said Princess would be her recommendation for us. Princess and HAL have the most slots for Glacier Bay of all of the cruise lines so that factored heavily into my decision. We have sailed on Celebrity, Disney, and Carnival so we will see how Princess compares. After we return I can provide details and answer questions on our experience. Please let me know if there is anything specific you would like to know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter