I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

So I forgot to purchase travel insurance and can’t get through to Travelguard. Any suggestions for travel insurance? Most important thing for me is hospital coverage if I get sick or injured and medical evacuation coverage back to the US. All flights are on points so no cost there.
I've purchased policies on insure my trip dot com the same day. Just filter for medical insurance policies only, rather than comprehensive. Should be cheap and easy. Would exclude pre-existing conditions. You can also compare by med evac or coverage (likely secondary). I actually used to hate secondary but it's worked out pretty well for small things because then my primary deductible gets used but I get reimbursed by the travel insurance.

So as some of you know, I have 200K miles parked (stranded, IMO!) in Virgin Atlantic. The original intent was to fly to Japan (me and my husband) but I just don't think a trip like that is in our future right now due to schedules and other financial considerations.

However, my mom and aunt and niece are planning a trip to Japan in 2024 (not sure what month) and I would love to use those points to get them at least a 'free' ticket or two. They don't even care about first or biz class, but I recall the fuel surcharges (this would be using Virgin miles to fly on ANA) were quite high... probably more than it would cost just to purchase a regular coach ticket. Am I correct in thinking that even IF I could find 3 coach tickets (round trip) using those miles, it would literally cost as much or more in fuel surcharges than if she just paid cash?

Sorry, can't answer the question about Japan, but Virgin Atlantic did have some nice redemptions to Europe on AF/KLM. ORD-CDG for as low as 12k pts +$170 taxes OW.

Cruising is also an option and they occassionally offer deals for like 80-100k points for two in a sea terrace balcony suite.

I had some trouble with one of the IRS payment processers and a Chase Ink card in January, but was able to switch to a different one of the 3 and it went through. Edit to clarify, I used a different payment processor with the Chase Ink and it worked. I think I used the third one on the right on the payment page, can't remember which one that is.

Had the same issue with an Ink. Paid with PayPal instead with the same card and it worked.

I think it’s an issue with Chase business cards. I also paid with a Hilton Biz with no issues.
Yep it was a CIC. Thanks for the Paypal hint. Used Paypal and it worked fine with the CIC.

I've purchased policies on insure my trip dot com the same day. Just filter for medical insurance policies only, rather than comprehensive. Should be cheap and easy. Would exclude pre-existing conditions. You can also compare by med evac or coverage (likely secondary). I actually used to hate secondary but it's worked out pretty well for small things because then my primary deductible gets used but I get reimbursed by the travel insurance.

Second this. I've only ever purchased travel insurance online. Most times through insure my trip dot com, but last time through AAA. I only buy medical since hotels and airfare are all refundable (and 95% of the time on points).

Second this. I've only every purchased travel insurance online. Most times through insure my trip dot com, but last time through AAA. I only buy medical since hotels and airfare are all refundable (and 95% of the time on points).
Does the travel insurance cover reservations (flights, hotels, cars, cruises) booked with points, awards, etc.?

What cards to get next?
- We have $12k in expenses coming in the next 2.5 months (home improvement and a big celebration), with another $10k-ish over the summer.
- We aren't newbies, we have a steady rythm of Chase business and personal cards. We did CSR/CSP in the last year for P1 and in last 3 years for P2. We both got new CIU last week with the SUB already met. I like the versatility of UR, and P2 goes along with whatever I plan.
- P2 has Amex Gold and has held Amex Platinum, but P1 has had neither.
- Have flights for a family event coming up that would be on Jet Blue - maybe a JB card?
- We have Hilton Surpass, maybe another Hilton Amex? We are Hilton "people", but have 2 Marriott stays coming up for 2 family events. So maybe a Marriott card?
- Going to Europe this summer, so UR will be used towards flights. It seems hotel rooms for 4 are not points-eligible, but any direction/advice on how to save there would be appreciated.
- Planning HI next year, so possibly a Hawaiian Air card, but we have a stash of Amex points we are building for those flights, so anotherAmex could work towards that.
- Lounge access is nice, but not a main priority for us.

I'd appreciate any advice or perspective! Thanks!!
Amex has an increased support offer right now from the personal Gold and Platinum cards for an additional 5x groceries. If P2 refers you to a Biz Plat or Biz Gold (or even the personal gold or plat) from their Gold card they would get 9x on grocery spend for the next 3mos. A nice added bonus on top of the support points. Could be an option.

Does the travel insurance cover reservations (flights, hotels, cars, cruises) booked with points, awards, etc.?
I usually only buy medical insurance, but recently cancelled a trip that I booked on URs with a non-refundable rate. I called Ashford Castle and they said they would refund my money (in this case URs) since their cancellation policy is 14 days prior to check-in. However I did contact the insurer I purchased CFAR insurance through and after a lengthy discussion, during which she had to consult with her manager, they confirmed that as long as the points had a cash value assigned (which Chase does for UR bookings), that they would have covered me if Ashford Castle didn't refund the money / URs (they did, so never had to file a claim). I imagine this is YMMV based on coverage and insurer.

AC, AA and BA all refund points and taxes for cancellations (BA charges a nominal cancellation fee as does AC, but since dh is a Super Elite we don't pay for cancellations). AA doesn't charge for cancellations. Not sure about other airlines. BA does not refund the cost you pay to pre-book seat(s) if you cancel; neither AC nor AA charge to book biz class seats, nor do any other airlines that I am aware of.

So typically if you buy a comprehensive plan, you are insuring for a certain dollar amount for pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses. So that's where you run into a problem with points and awards redemptions, because you haven't "pre-paid" anything or very little. Sometimes there will be an allowance which will pay for points/miles redeposit fees.

What I have seen is people use is a Chase Sapphire card and use UR points and then pay the taxes with their Sapphire.
  • Covers trips when travel arrangements for a pre-paid tour, trip or vacation have been purchased with an eligible Chase card or with rewards earned on an eligible Chase card

We’re thinking about staying at a Delta Marriott hotel when we visit Toronto in August. We don’t have any status with Marriott or any points. Dh is looking at the Bonvoy Business Amex card. Does anyone have this card?

He’s comparing getting that card vs. a Chase ink card. Is the gold status worth getting the Marriott card instead for a 5 night stay?

Amex has an increased support offer right now from the personal Gold and Platinum cards for an additional 5x groceries. If P2 refers you to a Biz Plat or Biz Gold (or even the personal gold or plat) from their Gold card they would get 9x on grocery spend for the next 3mos. A nice added bonus on top of the support points. Could be an option.
Thanks! We spend so much on groceries (my DD must eat gluten free), this could be a good option for us!

I just got approved for the Amex Marriott Bonvoy Biz card 125K offer through a targeted email offer. I opened the SPG Biz Amex card in 2018 and closed it in 2020. I have repeatedly tried to apply for it using P2's amex support link but kept getting the "you're ineligible for this card since you've had this card before" which yes, I know I'm supposed to be ineligible but I've been hoping to get it for the 15 elite night credits so that I could get to Platinum again by next month if all works out. My targeted email even had lifetime language so I didn't think it would go through, but it was approved. I also have the basic $95 Bonvoy and was targeted for 10 bonus elite nights as a promotion earlier this year. I'm 2 years and 265 nights away from lifetime Platinum (that's a lot of nights to still get) but it looks possible especially if I eventually upgrade the Bonvoy to the Brilliant for the 25 elite nights and automatic Platinum that comes with it. I downgraded to the $95 Bonvoy a couple years ago and have been hoping for an upgrade offer but it hasn't happened yet (except for an offer to upgrade to the Bevy which is just a no for me).

@Haley R Gold status with Marriott is pretty unexciting. You get 25% bonus points for your stay and a possibility (not guarantee) of a 2pm checkout, and a possible upgraded room. Platinum level is where free breakfast and lounge access kicks in but not at every Marriott property so even that's not all that great. I think an Ink card is a better return on spending overall. In general I consider a Bonvoy point worth $0.007 vs a UR is at least $.01. In my case, I have a particular goal in mind so that's why I applied for the Bonvoy Biz card (and I already opened a CIC in March so you could be like me and do both! lol).

Good news for anyone who lives in NJ and uses NJNG (New Jersey Natural Gas). They have eliminated the fee for paying your bill with a credit card on residential accounts.
Is this new? Any citation? Nothing to do with credit cards. I'm just interested.

I’d apply for a Chase Ink Cash business card and buy the $3500 in Disney gift cards at Staples or Office max for an additional 5x points. Or if you’re wanting a personal card maybe a Sapphire Preferred. There are many ways to go about it. However, the 4 cards you chose are probably the least rewarding 😂😘 With that amount of spend you can get a much better return by looking for a card with a higher sign up bonus than the ones you mentioned. I think Chase Ultimate rewards are a good currency if you’re not planning to take a deep dive into credit card rewards. The business cards have much higher sign up bonuses and $0AF.

I'd focus on a card with a high welcome bonus since you have a sizeable spend. You'd likely earn more from the bonus than you'd earn in a year of regular spending on the cards mentioned. If you're comfortable with a biz card, the Ink Cash suggested above is a great idea.
Thank you for the responses! Does not surprise me that I picked the least rewarding cards!😄 Dh and I are not quite comfortable with a business card so we'll stick with the personal. I think we will go with a Chase card as suggested, baby steps!

What an adventure this has been! I settled in to my biz class Polaris bulkhead seat which gave me extra legroom. Still the seat is not the most comfortable to sleep on, but I managed to doze after an express dinner. I woke to an announcement of someone needing medical assistance in the back of the plane. When I got there, 2 doctors were already in attendance, one of them being an ER doctor. I’m a nurse (former ER nurse and paramedic). So I told them to get me if they needed help. Dozed back off and awakened to another medical emergency call. Same person, the doctors were there but needed help. Got to use my skills (nothing like starting an IV with mild turbulence. 🥹) checked on him again before the plane landed (the doctors stayed by his side the whole time). I didn’t realize how tired I was until I went to the exit for passports instead of the transfer area. So I had to go back through security (got the most personal pat down ever!) Made my connection to Frankfurt in time for the 45 minute flight. They even served breakfast (maybe because it was biz class), but a nice touch since I didn’t eat much of my other breakfast. I decided to take the train to my daughter’s home and got on the wrong train! Mine was delayed and the ICE train I was on was heading to Munich! Thankfully it stopped I’m Mannheim where I needed to connect so it all worked out! So ready to get out of these clothes and take a hot shower!
And get some sleep 😴 Even though I didn’t get the sleep I was hoping for, I am now officially spoiled for always wanting a lie flat seat just for all of the extra space for those overnight flights to Europe!

Attachments

• DBE31F31-999B-41A9-BFCE-FB8C463CC29A.jpeg
    DBE31F31-999B-41A9-BFCE-FB8C463CC29A.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 14
  • AD488512-EFE2-4A41-8E60-389C05AFD87C.jpeg
    AD488512-EFE2-4A41-8E60-389C05AFD87C.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 14
  • 81D1286D-0D3C-4A31-978F-DFE7007D48BF.jpeg
    81D1286D-0D3C-4A31-978F-DFE7007D48BF.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 13
What an adventure this has been! I settled in to my biz class Polaris bulkhead seat which gave me extra legroom. Still the seat is not the most comfortable to sleep on, but I managed to doze after an express dinner. I woke to an announcement of someone needing medical assistance in the back of the plane. When I got there, 2 doctors were already in attendance, one of them being an ER doctor. I’m a nurse (former ER nurse and paramedic). So I told them to get me if they needed help. Dozed back off and awakened to another medical emergency call. Same person, the doctors were there but needed help. Got to use my skills (nothing like starting an IV with mild turbulence. 🥹) checked on him again before the plane landed (the doctors stayed by his side the whole time). I didn’t realize how tired I was until I went to the exit for passports instead of the transfer area. So I had to go back through security (got the most personal pat down ever!) Made my connection to Frankfurt in time for the 45 minute flight. They even served breakfast (maybe because it was biz class), but a nice touch since I didn’t eat much of my other breakfast. I decided to take the train to my daughter’s home and got on the wrong train! Mine was delayed and the ICE train I was on was heading to Munich! Thankfully it stopped I’m Mannheim where I needed to connect so it all worked out! So ready to get out of these clothes and take a hot shower!
And get some sleep 😴 Even though I didn’t get the sleep I was hoping for, I am now officially spoiled for always wanting a lie flat seat just for all of the extra space for those overnight flights to Europe!
Sounds like an adventure! Thank you for pitching in and helping!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter