I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I now have like 10 different car rentals on hold through costco while I try to plan out my summer trip to NC. Normally I go 2-3 times. And when I go solo, I normally decide the day before and then book my points on AA and grab a car and hotel. Don't think that will be the case this year. I think I'll be lucky to get one trip in. I have a few options of where to fly into, MYR, OAJ, ILM, EWN, RDU, PGV. The rentals for 4 days out of MYR (MB) are $1000+. Ummmm, that negates using the cheap tickets there. UGH.

I was able to score 2 $200 VGC at my OM. There were a BUNCH! I can never get in on the Staples deals anymore. So I'm going to go again tomorrow. I need to get spending my my Hilton card so I can hit my $15k and get my free night. I did just stay at Hiltons while in FL for SB, and I put all of that on my Amex card. So that is some $$$ towards the $15k, and I did put DD's car down payment on there, of $1k too. So I might be further along than I think, LOL.

I have to laugh a travel FB group I'm in, someone showed how they "couponed" there way to disney "for free". Of course it was all credit card hacks. Sooooooooo many comments about how stupid she is to go running up credit cards and ruining her credit score doing this. How it would have been easier to just pay the $6k for the trip then what she must have spent to get those points. Granted there are quite a few of "our kind" in the group making comments, but soooo soooo soooo many are clueless and think we are making the dumbest financial choices. Of course these same women get insanely jealous when others travel so much or do crazy $$$$ trips, LOL.

Anyone pay for a car on a CC? My DD is looking to buy a used car in the 5-6K range. She has the cash, but I'm thinking of putting it on a card to earn points IF the dealer doesn't charge extra fees for doing so. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?
Last car - 2019- I was able to put 10k on 3 different cards. Hit two retention offers and an MSR. Dealer said you must have a lot of CC points!

I can't find a source that doesn't reference back to Pop Sugar including Yahoo and msn, or anything on the tsa website. But apparently we can now take full size sunblock in our carryon but have to let them know when going through TSA.

I'd like to know more in practice as with precheck I don't have to take anything out so why say anything. Especially given the times I've forgotten and had it in my carryon after a park day and had no issues. I think without precheck I'd just take it out with my toiletry bag.

The Aveeno I use is 3 oz anyway, it's just such a big tube that it barely fits on my quart to begin with, nevermind with everything else.

I can't find a source that doesn't reference back to Pop Sugar including Yahoo and msn, or anything on the tsa website. But apparently we can now take full size sunblock in our carryon but have to let them know when going through TSA.

I'd like to know more in practice as with precheck I don't have to take anything out so why say anything. Especially given the times I've forgotten and had it in my carryon after a park day and had no issues. I think without precheck I'd just take it out with my toiletry bag.

The Aveeno I use is 3 oz anyway, it's just such a big tube that it barely fits on my quart to begin with, nevermind with everything else.
I see numerous articles confirming this, very interesting.

I see numerous articles confirming this, very interesting.

I did too but they either referenced pop sugar or weren't some place I'd expect to break the news, like real simple. And the tsa site still has the 3oz for carry on. Unless they are spinning the medically necessary to make it work but I don't think that's it. I would just expect something more official like we got with the larger hand sanitizer being ok now.

So I now have like 10 different car rentals on hold through costco while I try to plan out my summer trip to NC. Normally I go 2-3 times. And when I go solo, I normally decide the day before and then book my points on AA and grab a car and hotel. Don't think that will be the case this year. I think I'll be lucky to get one trip in. I have a few options of where to fly into, MYR, OAJ, ILM, EWN, RDU, PGV. The rentals for 4 days out of MYR (MB) are $1000+. Ummmm, that negates using the cheap tickets there. UGH.

I was able to score 2 $200 VGC at my OM. There were a BUNCH! I can never get in on the Staples deals anymore. So I'm going to go again tomorrow. I need to get spending my my Hilton card so I can hit my $15k and get my free night. I did just stay at Hiltons while in FL for SB, and I put all of that on my Amex card. So that is some $$$ towards the $15k, and I did put DD's car down payment on there, of $1k too. So I might be further along than I think, LOL.

I have to laugh a travel FB group I'm in, someone showed how they "couponed" there way to disney "for free". Of course it was all credit card hacks. Sooooooooo many comments about how stupid she is to go running up credit cards and ruining her credit score doing this. How it would have been easier to just pay the $6k for the trip then what she must have spent to get those points. Granted there are quite a few of "our kind" in the group making comments, but soooo soooo soooo many are clueless and think we are making the dumbest financial choices. Of course these same women get insanely jealous when others travel so much or do crazy $$$$ trips, LOL.
I so wish I was brave enough to put my feet in the water when it comes to MS. I’ve dipped my toes, I tried off loading on serve but since things went down hill I haven’t bought any VGCs.

I don’t know if it’s the same like the full size hand sanitizer you’re allowed to bring, but last fall they actually took mine out of my backpack and put it through a machine to test it. It took what felt like forever. The rest of my party was waiting 10 minutes for me. And this was through precheck. So even if you don’t tell them, which I didn’t and didn’t take it out of my bag, they may check it anyways. Just my experience. Not sure if it will be at all the same though since different things.

DP: Some of you may have the AO to spend $500 and get a $25 statement credit and the 10% back up to $50 credit for Lowe’s. I had always planned on stacking the offers to buy a $500 Disney Gift card at Lowe’s and get $75 in savings. The Lowe’s I usually frequent would not allow credit card payment for gift card purchases. This was an unexpected roadblock. I decided to try another location a few weeks later. It took an upper level manager override. I could see the screen prompt and it mentioned high value purchase. I wonder if it got flagged because it was a variable card. Maybe if I’d purchased 10 of the $50 DGCs it wouldn’t have been flagged. In any case the manger allowed me to purchase it so it seems it is a YMMV.
Mine switched to this system a couple months back. Pain. In. The. Butt. (But at least they still allow the purchase!)

Hmmm... hadn’t thought about spreading the value out over multiple cards... “pardon me Amex, can we have another round of that Lowes deal pretty please?”

I did too but they either referenced pop sugar or weren't some place I'd expect to break the news, like real simple. And the tsa site still has the 3oz for carry on. Unless they are spinning the medically necessary to make it work but I don't think that's it. I would just expect something more official like we got with the larger hand sanitizer being ok now.
My local news is reporting it now too.

I don’t know if the process will be like full size contact solution or not. But that is a pain, in my experience. They allow full size contact solution. So I thought to skip putting it in the smaller container. The one time I did it, with pre check, they pulled it out and had to test it. Both on my outbound flight and on my return flight. I might have been the exception but I’m not doing that again.

I don’t know if the process will be like full size contact solution or not. But that is a pain, in my experience. They allow full size contact solution. So I thought to skip putting it in the smaller container. The one time I did it, with pre check, they pulled it out and had to test it. Both on my outbound flight and on my return flight. I might have been the exception but I’m not doing that again.
Definitely don’t pack salt and pepper. 😂 I knew I needed some at our home in FL so I had thrown them in my carryon. TSA has to do a very thorough check on the salt. Never again. Lol

Kudos to you! TSA confirmed this was a website error so keep that sunscreen to 3oz.

I so wish I was brave enough to put my feet in the water when it comes to MS. I’ve dipped my toes, I tried off loading on serve but since things went down hill I haven’t bought any VGCs.
MS is a PITA w/ serve these days, but like I said, I do it to earn the free hilton night. I know most people do it w/ the CIC (which I now have) to earn the 5X URs. I like the "easy" way to my free Hilton night, LOL.

I don’t know if it’s the same like the full size hand sanitizer you’re allowed to bring, but last fall they actually took mine out of my backpack and put it through a machine to test it. It took what felt like forever. The rest of my party was waiting 10 minutes for me. And this was through precheck. So even if you don’t tell them, which I didn’t and didn’t take it out of my bag, they may check it anyways. Just my experience. Not sure if it will be at all the same though since different things.
I HATE that they take so long to search it. As soon as they open it they comment how nice it smells, LOL.

I did not know they allow full size. I've been buying my daughter the smaller bottles when she travels. Good to know. Do you still have to fit it in the quart size bag?

My offers were on my Amex Bonvoy Biz card. As @Albort said they came out earlier this year.

Your trip sounds like it will be steeped in a lot of history and government.

Charleston - I love this little city and lived there for about 8 months back in the late 70ties. So for me it's a lot of nostalgia. I love a walk around the Battery. I'm too out of touch to recommend any restaurants, but we have a few South Carolinians on here.

DC - @striker1064 knows the spots and usually has excellent advice for the city. Not sure what is open right now or for the summer.

Philadelphia - I'm out of touch.

Cape May to Lewes via Ferry - once off the ferry you will be close to route 1 and Rehoboth, De with tax free shopping and a few miles of outlet stores. And traffic.
Next are several small towns such as Dewey Beach and Bethany Beach and than Ocean City in Maryland. I'm all for Maryland because that is where I live and I like to stay on the Boardwalk in front of the ocean. The Boardwalk runs from 28th Street down to the inlet. Or vice versa depending on where you arrive. On the way to Ocean City (from Rehoboth area) I sometimes/always stop at a deli called McCabes Gourmet Market that makes great sandwiches. It's right after Bethany (still in Delaware) on the right side of the highway in York Beach mall - that's a little strip mall. Right now it's closed but I would figure it to open for summer season. Their website is not working, but hopefully all will be back to normal.

Hotels - I tend towards the Hyatt and Marriott properties, all of which are decent though high priced so points needed, but if I had Hilton points I would also do them. Cash rates are ridiculous in summer, especially weekends. I do have Radisson points and there is a Country Inn and Suites, but I've not stayed at those in that area.

I've heard the Holiday Inn and Suites (17th St) is getting reno'ed but haven't been there to check it out. If they do a decent reno I like this hotel, but the rooms were very tired last year. Right now I'm partial to the (small) Hyatt Place and transferring UR's to book rooms. Marriott has taken their properties from 35K all the way to 70k with most now starting at 60k for late July. The Courtyard is ocean front and comfortable but at 70k I won't spend for it.

Every trip I eat at Shark on the Harbor. It's in West Ocean City. Other than that I eat the every day stuff that is bad for me like Thrasher's fries, Frankies pizza, Panera, fresh doughnuts from Fractured Prune and ice cream and at least once to General's Kitchen for a greasy spoon breakfast - ordinary fattening unhealthy food. (I'm at the beach!) Oh and I've been known to drive over to Berlin and have sunday brunch at the Globe (if it made it through the pandemic.) There is also a hole in the wall Mexican place I like the food from at 28th and Coastal. It's called Mother's Cantina - not fancy pretty gritty, but, again, I like their food to go.

Horses - if you want to see the horses, I would suggest Assateague rather than Chincoteague. Assateague - you will usually see the horses close up and often right on the road through the park as in stopping your car to let them pass. They hang on the beach, in the campgrounds, on the road, in the parking lots. Morning or early evening is best. It's about 10 miles from the mid Boardwalk area over to this park.

Chincoteague - unless you are there for the auction and roundup (wed, July 28) it's already cancelled again, yikes - the horses are usually off in the distance. Chincoteague has a Fairfield Inn, a Hampton Inn and several other options. On the road to Chincoteague is the Wallops Island visitor center. They send up some satellites from Wallops and I like to walk through the center every so often when it is open for visitors. It's small but interesting to me. It's a less than an hour visit.

They closed the one spot I used to get lunch at in Chincoteague and I haven't gotten over that yet. I did have a great crab sandwich at the restaurant next door to the Fairfield Inn. The place is pretty popular but I just had takeout. I've mostly eaten crab cakes at all the other spots. Crabs and suds.

In both parks, in late July or August, if you are not on the beach (breeze), the flies and mosquitos may carry you away. There are trails to walk but I would have to submerge in insect repellant to be comfortable, so I don't do walks in the summer. I save that for early spring or fall. YMMV on that as I'm older and run from bugs!

Both Chincoteague and Assateague have nice visitor centers. You can do the Assateague center without actually entering the park. In fact, you can usually see horses after you cross the bridge but before you have to pay to enter.

Next up - Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Williamsburg/Busch Gardens - my information is too outdated as my times spent here were when my kids were your kids ages. My Ex was in the navy and stationed here for the last part of his career. We did things like the Norfolk Zoo, Battleship Wisconsin in Norfolk, the Virginia Science Museum, Williamsburg historic area, Busch Gardens, Jamestown and Yorktown.

In July we will be heading to the Outer Banks for a few days. Marriott has priced us out of Ocean City in their hotels in summer and I'm already booked at Hyatt in June. August may be Holiday Inn Express to use my free nights. Maybe a Marriott trip in May depending on when daughter returns from South America. I have a half million Marriott points but I'm not giving them 60-70k.

A lot of my vacation focus is birdwatching, so not so much in tune with older kids. The littles are good with sand, beach toys and pools. But OC does have an amusement area, a trolley to ride on the BW, some rides (Trimper's - ferris wheel etc), Jolly Roger's amusement area, mini golf, real golf close by, small water park, nearby go carts in a few places, boating, bicycle rentals, parasailing, fishing excursions, a small airport that offers or used to offer small plane type rides. Tons of places to eat, some of which may be decent, lol.

People surf off the beach in OC and they also surf on Assateague. Flying kites is quite popular and I've happened upon a kite exhibition type event on Assateague a couple of times. Body boards are cheap in all the beach stores if your kids do that. The surf is usually fairly strong in OC and there is an under tow which people underestimate and they do have sharks, so the ocean is to be respected.

Okay, now I'm just rambling, so hope I helped a teeny bit.

Edit: salt water taffy - only Dolle's not anywhere else. Ponytails in Chincoteague is same company.
Thank you so much for your generosity with your advice. Is it worth driving down US-1 from around Reheboth Beach to Ocean City or are the inland road the way to go?

Kudos to you! TSA confirmed this was a website error so keep that sunscreen to 3oz.

Good to know! I'll have to figure out how to cram it all in my quart bag again next month. Took two of us to get it closed for DLR last year. Between the sunblock, contact solution and dailys, and all the rest it's a bit ridic. And I do put some in a smaller container. I may just have to do that for SLC as I don't think I'll need a ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter