I have to choose quickly-11/28-12-6 or 12/6-12/14

trampslady

<font color=green>I stop and watch the Norway vide
We were at AKL the second week in December this past year and really found the crowds to be good. My problem is I must decide ASAP which week to attend next year. My husband likes the idea of combining our vacation with the Thanksgiving holiday, even though we wouldn't actually leave for vacation until the Friday following Thanksgiving. My BIG concerns are:

1. The parks will be crazy for the Saturday, Sunday and possibly Monday following Thanksgiving which results in less time to actually enjoy WDW. This is a special concern because we are bringing my parents and brother and his girlfriend and I want them to have a good time. Also we are enjoying the BCV for our very first visit home!

2. I work for an airline and realize that trying to fly on ANY day surrounding Thanksgiving is horrific. Even if I try to get the whole family to WDW the day after, flights are limited due to less travelers and that means fuller flights that are available.

I believe that the second week would make more sense but was hoping that some veterans of the first week following Thanksgiving could give me some first hand experience insight into what to expect in the way of crowds if we decided to go with hubby's plan.

For 2 years now we have gone the Sunday after Thanksgiving for 1 week(7nights) and I have never thought it was crowded - Even on that Sunday we arrive - Although I have never been the 2nd wk in December so I can't compare.:D

As much as I'd like to keep the week after Thanksgiving all to ourselves, I do have to say it is a great time to go. For the last two years we have gone down the day after Thanksgiving and stayed through the first week of December. Our trips have been great. I get the day after Turkey Day as a holiday so it is nice to be able to extend our trip without taking more vacation days.

Yes, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are much more crowded than the following week. However, it is not nearly as crowded as other "busy" times like Easter, Christmas, and the summer. This past November I don't think we saw a line longer than 45 minutes or so on the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Some people claim that it was "really crowded" this year on that weekend, but having seen what really crowded is (Easter) it really isn't bad. If your only frame of reference is the second week of December you may find the weekend after Thanksgiving to be very crowded - but I don't think it is that bad at all. As for the week after Thanksgiving, I'm sure the crowds are similar to the second week of December and they are very low.

We have never had a problem flying on the day after Thanksgiving. We always do early flights (6am) and at that hour the airports haven't been crazy.

This will be my fourth year to go at Thanksgiving. I leave out of Houston, TX on Friday morning after Thanksgiving around 8 am. This year there were only a handfull of people on the flight. I have a friend that works for Continental and she has always cautioned me to check on the flight the night before, because it is such a slow day and the schedule could change.

Saturday is usually a pretty busy day at the parks. This year I decided to take a tour on that day. It worked out really well. I got to learn something new as well as have priorty entry on some rides for the day and a special lunch included on the tour.

By Sunday evening, all is quiet. I attended MVMCP on Tuesday after Thanksgiving. I could walk onto all the rides, several times as a matter of fact, and had a great time.

You won't be disappointed if you travel at this time. Just be a little patient with the Saturday crowd.

:wave:

Thank you to all and thanks, trampslady, for asking. This is the exact information I wanted too--fellow DISers are sooooo helpful!!!:teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter