• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I got assigned a handicap accessible room...

RickyMouseMom

Mouseketeer
This is our first cruise with our two boys (Feb 18 3nt wonder). I just got the assigned room as cat 11 # 6147, noticing that this is a handicap accessible room. I feel weird about it, as we do not require this type of room. Plus I am assuming that is it a king size bed, which definitely won't work for our family (the boys will fight all night long in the same bed). Plus, I see disaster with the bathroom situation. I don't require a split bath, as we originally booked a cat 11 room, but a tub is a must. What are the chances of DCL changing our room assignment if I call? Or should I keep the assignment as is? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The beds can be split, and you'll have a LOT of room in the cabin. But if you MUST have a bathtub - you'd better talk to your TA or DCL.

We were also assigned a handicapped room, a few cruises ago. I called DCL and asked that they give me another room instead. They did.

Call them asap if you really do not want this room.

Thanks for the replies!

Is the room really that much bigger? Does anyone have any photos? Does anyone know the square footage and layout (cat 11).

DH says to go with it. I think that we don't need it. Now I am confused.

You might want to check about how many people this room sleeps. I know the Cat. 6 HCA stateroom across the hall only sleeps 3.

The bed situation is the same as in any other cabin. It has the bed that can be split into 2 twins or be joined as one. I've sailed in a HA cabin with a friend who is in a wheelchair...but when I was assigned to one when sailing with DD, I requested and was moved.

If you booked a gty, you officially have no choice, but even then they might move you.

Advantages--the rooms are quite large, like twice the size of a normal cabin. Disadvantages--the bathroom. It's a single bath with a roll in shower, no tub. There is no center drawer in the desk so the stuff that is normally place in the drawer is on top of the desk. Some of the rooms are missing the coffee table. Some of the HA rooms only sleep 3. Theoretically they should not have placed 4 of you there if this is one of the "only 3" rooms.

Guaranteed they WILL move you if they need the room for a guest who requires it.

This link should take you to some pictures of that exact stateroom. The bed CAN be made into two twin beds, if that's where you want to put your boys, and then you and your husband would have to share the sofa bed. There is no murphy bed or bunk bed in this room. And as stated, no bathtub. I hesitate to use bathtubs in hotels and onboard anyway, I'm just weird that way...worrying about the cleanliness. So if the sleeping arrangements work for you, I'd say keep the room for all the extra space. With a standard inside Cat 11, you'd feel pretty cramped with the two boys. The location is pretty convenient for letting the boys (or yourself) go up two decks to the drink station and buffet, too.
Just as a side note, none of the Cat 11's have the split bath.
And the Passporter says that this room only sleeps 3, but the Passporter has made quite a few similar mistakes. I'd go with what DCL says, if they put a family of four into this room, then THEY KNOW that 4 are allowed.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=22529121&postcount=191

Edited to add.....I was reading the stateroom reports here on the DIS, and they mention that the bed arrangements are different on the Wonder. These pictures are of the Magic. According to the reports, the Wonder doesn't have the fold-out double size sofa bed, but rather a single sofa sleeper. Which would mean that the room only sleeps three. But along that same line of thinking, DCL would not put a family of four in a room that only sleeps three. My guess is that the rooms have been updated since the report was made on here.

You should definitely call DCL or your travel agent. The problem with calling DCL is that a lot of the time, the person who answers the phone doesn't know the true layout of the rooms. You might need to ask for a supervisor.

Wow, thanks for the pics. Now I have a better understanding what the room looks like. There is definitely alot of space for the boys! :yay:

Wow, thanks for the pics. Now I have a better understanding what the room looks like. There is definitely alot of space for the boys! :yay:
The HA cabins are closer in size to a hotel room rather than to a small cruise ship cabin. Unless your kids are babies, I would introduce them to the shower!

We were assigned a handicap room once but in a different category and the room size was amazing. I'd keep it unless it really bothers you. The shower part can be a pain because of the water but other than that it is really nice to have that extra space. The stateroom host will give you extra towels to help with the wet floor. If they don't just ask for some. Enjoy the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter