I Feel Like Disney's 100th Anniversary Is Ruined

TsWade2

DIS Veteran
Hi,
I trying not to be overdramatic, but here it goes. I'm having a good time and anticipating Disney's 100 Years of Wonder and I enjoyed Wish, even though it's not a perfect film. But after the writers and actors strike, critics hating Wish unfairly, a lot of grifters on Youtube rooting Disney to fail, and Wish not doing well at the box office, I feel like Disney's 100th Anniversary is ruined! I think those people ruined my excitement of Disney. And I keep being doom and gloom saying it's the end of Disney this and it's the end of Disney that, because I feel like DIsney Animation is in jeopardy. Once Upon A Studio is a great one. I just can't believe Wish flopped unfairly. I hope Wish does better on Disney+ and maybe become a cult classic like Encanto and Elemental did. But, I feel like Disney's 100th Anniversary is ruined! I feel like maybe Disney should cancel Disneyland's 70th Anniversary and Mickey Mouse's 100th Anniversary since those two might get interrupted like what happen to Disneyland's 65th Anniversary, WDW's 50th Anniversary, and Disney's 100th Anniversary.

I'll second that. You can't let other people dictate what you enjoy.

For myself, I was always self conscious of running. I didn't want to stop and walk when I got tired because I was afraid people driving by would think I was an out of shape loser. But now, I've connected with this great runDisney group here at Dis and I don't care what anyone else thinks. I got this!

You liked Wish. That's all that matters. Cherish it. Disney's 100th, Mickey's 100th, Disneyland's 70th. They're all going to be awesome milestones! Enjoy it ❤️

Disney Animation has weathered much worse storms than Wish. So what if idiot YouTubers said stupid stuff about it? The only reason they say what they do is just to get more people to watch their channel. They are literally trying get more views or clicks or whatever. They want people to watch their videos… and you can bet their commentary is less about what they really think and more about getting attention. Good gravy, just stop watching them! Why give them what they want? Goodness knows it’s not doing anything to improve your mental health, is it?

¯\_{ッ}_/¯

Here’s some history to put things into perspective for you, and hopefully bring a little reassurance and calm to your racing mind…

In the late 1980’s Disney Animation had three big flops in a row — each arguably worse than the last: The Black Cauldron (1985), The Great Mouse Detective (1986), and Oliver & Company (1988). The critics said that Walt Disney Animation Studios had failed and was finished. Many people had doubts that there would ever be another great animated feature from the Studios.

Imagine if Disney execs had just said, “Welp…it costs too much to make movies that keep bombing, so there’s no sense making any more. We should just get out of the business of animation.” If they had, we wouldn’t have any of the great movies of the 1990’s:
  • The Little Mermaid
  • Beauty & the Beast
  • Aladdin
  • The Lion King,
  • Pocahontas
  • Hunchback of Norte Dame
  • Hercules
  • Mulan
  • Tarzan
But then as we entered the 2000’s, there was a whole string of movies that either bombed completely or were barely profitable:
  • Fantasia 2000
  • Dinosaur
  • The Emperor’s New Groove
  • Atlantis: The Lost Empire
  • Treasure Planet
  • Brother Bear
  • Home on the Range
  • Meet the Robinsons
  • Bolt
*[Lilo & Stitch was the singular hit of this decade between 1999-2008.]

The next dozen or so years were once again full of successful animated films. Now in the past year or so, there have been a couple poorly performing films— so what? It’s not really a big deal, honestly.

I hope I’ve shown you that Disney’s successes and failures at the box office happen in cycles. There is just literally nothing to panic about.

And given that Disney100 is effectively over and has been for weeks at least as far as the celebration goes (We were at Disneyland in October and did one of the final Disney100 tours and they said the celebration had just a week or so left), how can a movie released at the end of it, possibly ruin all the good from the year before? That makes no sense at all.

There’s several Disney movies that *I’ve* thought were pretty good, but no one else really liked them — in the wide view, they were failures. And there’s also been quite a number that were very popular but personally, I thought they were just 🫤meh. [For instance, I liked Oliver & Comp any, and The Great Mouse Detective. But I didn’t really like Hercules, and I thought Pocahontas was just OK. I’m also not a huge fan of Frozen, although I like a lot of the music. :duck:] You know what? It’s not the end of the world— and it’s certainly not the end of Disney.

As far as future milestone celebration events, canceling those truly would be an indicator of doom and gloom :worried:, imho. I mean, yeah, the pandemic definitely screwed up Disneyland’s 65th anniversary. 🤒 There’s nothing that could’ve been done by Disney to avoid that— it was necessary to close the park, and the timing of reopening it was done at the state and county level. Disney had no say in that.

World events are always going on… Really, by your logic, Disneyland should’ve just stayed closed and never reopened at all…:confused3 because what if something bad happens again? What if, what if, what if??? You can’t live your life worried about the what if’s….

It’s like if you twisted your ankle getting out of the car on your way to have an awesome birthday dinner at your favorite restaurant… and because that happened, you decide that no one in your family can ever celebrate another birthday— ever. Because what if something happens again? It’s probably better to just never go out to eat again at all, right? Why risk it?

Sounds silly, doesn’t it? But it’s really the same thing as when you said,
“I feel like maybe Disney should cancel Disneyland's 70th Anniversary and Mickey Mouse's 100th Anniversary since those two might get interrupted like what happen to Disneyland's 65th Anniversary, WDW's 50th Anniversary, and Disney's 100th Anniversary.”

Not to mention, WDW 50th Anniversary Celebration went on for its full scheduled 18 months, and Disney100 wasn’t interrupted by anything, either. So I’m not sure where you’re getting that. :confused:
What gave you the idea that either WDW 50th or Disney100 were cut short or had problems?

Sometimes it’s easier to see the things that are wrong around us, because those tend to be the things in our life that stick out the most. But you know what? If you really think things thru— and even write things out if necessary— things are very seldom as bad as they seen on the surface. In my many decades of life, I’ve generally found that any time I start a sentence with “I might be overreacting …”, I’m almost certainly doing just that.

Rest assured, Disney as a company isn’t going anywhere. Disney Animation is not going anywhere, either. They are American Institutions!

I, for one, can’t wait to see what they come up with next!
I’ll close with the quote that’s also in my signature— it’s probably my favorite Walt Disney quote (although there are a few others that are pretty close):
“Why worry? If you’ve done the very best you can, worrying won’t make it any better.”

Last edited:

I'm on Disneys side with all the latest politcal drama, but they hold a lot of blame for whats happening with the company.

The effort they put into the 50th was less than weak. Same with the 100th. They decided that they could wayyyy overcharge people and raise prices dramatically at the same time providing less.. Cutting imagineers and entertainment, Chapek..." Our cast members are our entertainment ": I don't even have to go any further with his incompetence.--And who picked him for CEO?

Iger comes back, says Disney raised prices too much too fast, then months later raises prices again. What does it cost to stay at an All-Star resort now? Whats her name saying we are cutting proportion sizes on food while raising prices "Americans need to trim their waistlines...." Genie +, park rerservations, resort parking fees (finally gone), Epcot, last 5 years of Marvel, churing movie after movie with no character development, lack of original ideas, charging for park hopping while 'sort of letting you park hop, Enchantmernt, no nightime parade, trams, magical express gone, a $10 cupcake that tastes like cardboard but looks pretty on the internet, shorter park hours, shorter park hours so they can sell out the park twice in one day, fighting CM pay raises...probably forgot something. Oh yeah Josh D'Amaro.

I don't let what others say about Disney affect my thinking (youtube), just thinking about what I notice happening. Little Mermaid live action is a good example of groups of people that just hate Disney for other reasons and try to create a bunch of negative crap.

Staying true to what I said at the beginning of this thread, not letting others control how I feel about something.

I watched Indy, Dial of Destiny last night and I didn't think it was all that bad. I was entertained and it had those tongue in cheek moments just like the previous movies

I want to thank you very much for the kind words. I just hope Wish will do better on Disney+ like Encanto and Elemental did. I’m sorry if my doom and gloom moment gets awkward.

Dial of Destiny was a great movie. For me, it is #2 behind Raiders. I don't know if it had the same fake reviewers or not that Mermaid had, but LOVED that movie. Disney needs another epic 'Pirates" level movie. Maybe that will help. Disney has a new group of people that will condemn anything they do now. But, they do need to reboot themselves and realize people won't just accept anything they do because its got the Disney name on it.

Will Iger build a Wildernesss Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge? We get Marriot looking towers now. How about another theme park to support all the dvc and 20 ish resorts they have?

Disney has been patting themselves on their backs for years now while Universal is building... Disney needs to do better.

And another thing...LOL

Last edited:
I already giving up hope for Wish to do well at the box office, but I hope Wish will do better on DisneyPlus and become a classic like Encanto did.

Dial of Destiny was a great movie. For me, it is #2 behind Raiders. I don't know if it had the same fake reviewers or not that Mermaid had, but LOVED that movie. Disney needs another epic 'Pirates" level movie. Maybe that will help. Disney has a new group of people that will condemn anything they do now. But, they do need to reboot themselves and realize people won't just accept anything they do because its got the Disney name on it.
True, true, true and true

Hi,
I trying not to be overdramatic, but here it goes. I'm having a good time and anticipating Disney's 100 Years of Wonder and I enjoyed Wish, even though it's not a perfect film. But after the writers and actors strike, critics hating Wish unfairly, a lot of grifters on Youtube rooting Disney to fail, and Wish not doing well at the box office, I feel like Disney's 100th Anniversary is ruined! I think those people ruined my excitement of Disney. And I keep being doom and gloom saying it's the end of Disney this and it's the end of Disney that, because I feel like DIsney Animation is in jeopardy. Once Upon A Studio is a great one. I just can't believe Wish flopped unfairly. I hope Wish does better on Disney+ and maybe become a cult classic like Encanto and Elemental did. But, I feel like Disney's 100th Anniversary is ruined! I feel like maybe Disney should cancel Disneyland's 70th Anniversary and Mickey Mouse's 100th Anniversary since those two might get interrupted like what happen to Disneyland's 65th Anniversary, WDW's 50th Anniversary, and Disney's 100th Anniversary.
What do you mean???

What do you mean???
I mean the pandemic ruined Disneyland’s 65th Anniversary. The pandemic partly ruined WDW’s 50th Anniversary, and now the Hollywood strikers, the critics, and the grifting YouTubers ruined Disney’s 100 Years of Wonder. I feel like maybe Disney should cancel Disneyland’s 70th anniversary and ickey Mouse’s 100th Anniversary because I fear that future disasters may come and ruined it again. I don’t know.

Well, the Hollywood strike, the critics, and YouTuber grifters ruined Disney’s 100th Anniversary.
But why should "Disney should cancel Disneyland's 70th Anniversary and Mickey Mouse's 100th Anniversary since those two might get interrupted like what happen to Disneyland's 65th Anniversary, WDW's 50th Anniversary, and Disney's 100th Anniversary."? None of those things have anything to do with Disneyland's 65th or 70th Anniversary or the 50th at WDW. Plus the writers strike is over. And how do YouTubers ruin anything? Overall, very few people even watch YouTubers. This doesn't make sense.

Here is a piece of unsolicited advice: stop watching youtubers. They make money by making outrage and getting ppl angry. Just stop watching them, I guarantee you life will become much more enjoyable.
This. The Youtubers that make anti-Disney reactionary content know that Youtube's algorithm promotes negative content WAY more than positive ones. There's a reason why so many Youtubers, including ones outside the Disney sphere, make videos about bad movies, TV shows, video games, etc. rather than about media they like. Negative = $$$

As for the state of the Disney company at the moment, they're not doing great compared to 5+ years ago but this is not the first and last time this will happen. I do think Disney is realizing that audiences will not eat up whatever the company puts out just because it's labeled Disney. You need to make it actually good.

Now WDWMagic are talking bad at Wish, which is getting ridiculous! I know, I know, don’t listen to them!

To borrow some lyrics from a popular Disney movie...

Let it go, let it go

All said in a positive way 🙂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter