I don't want to loose $6,300. Tale from a David's DVC points Renter.

Davids actions during all of this has been, IMO, horrible and it is possible your owner has heard or even had a bad experience with a different renter since this started and it’s easier to just not respond.

Frustrating for you and I’m sorry because even if you found your own renter to take it over, nothing can be done without the owner.

Quick update, better late than never but the owner finally replied so David's is able to list our Oct reservation. It all might be too late with less than 3 weeks until check-in day but at least its listed now (and discounted as well!) I know i've heard some horror stories of David's since the pandemic began but i have to say they've been reasonable with us and generally fair. The agents I've spoken to appear willing to help where they can but they are limited in what they can do.

One question are people listing David's reservations on the DVC-Rent/Trade forum? is that allowed? would love to put ours out there as available but I feel like its restricted.

Great news! I'm glad the owner finally responded. Best of luck to you on re-renting it.

Quick update, better late than never but the owner finally replied so David's is able to list our Oct reservation. It all might be too late with less than 3 weeks until check-in day but at least its listed now (and discounted as well!) I know i've heard some horror stories of David's since the pandemic began but i have to say they've been reasonable with us and generally fair. The agents I've spoken to appear willing to help where they can but they are limited in what they can do.

One question are people listing David's reservations on the DVC-Rent/Trade forum? is that allowed? would love to put ours out there as available but I feel like its restricted.
No, it is not allowed. It is a 3rd party reservation going through a broker, and we do not allow 3rd party reservations...only the actual DVC owners may post a reservation if it is not listed with a broker.

Very happy there was a response. Even though it’s a short time, there may be a taker.

Fingers crossed for you!

We're in the same situation, had to cancel the december trip, but its only 2 nights at SSR, around $500. David's didn't even put the relisting up for us, and the owner couldn't be bothered to even change the name so our friends in Orlando could use it!

That's wonderful news, at least you now have a chance.

Fingers crossed for you!

We're in the same situation, had to cancel the december trip, but its only 2 nights at SSR, around $500. David's didn't even put the relisting up for us, and the owner couldn't be bothered to even change the name so our friends in Orlando could use it!

Is there room to just add them and not go over occupancy. I am pretty sure that is part of the contract with David’s...can’t remember.

So, of adding them keeps you under occupancy, then request that. They will be allowed to check in even if you are not there.

Is there room to just add them and not go over occupancy. I am pretty sure that is part of the contract with David’s...can’t remember.

So, of adding them keeps you under occupancy, then request that. They will be allowed to check in even if you are not there.
They they can add someone but they seem reluctant to do so if we’re not there as we’d be liable to damage etc

They they can add someone but they seem reluctant to do so if we’re not there as we’d be liable to damage etc

Well, that’s too bad because you’d be allowed to bring guests and I believe the contact requires them to add. But, the people are not good friends than yeah, it’d too risky.

Are you afraid that your friend would damage the place? Or is David's telling you that they are afraid of damage?

Are you afraid that your friend would damage the place? Or is David's telling you that they are afraid of damage?
I’m comfortable with my friend staying there, David’s are not comfortable.

we could just link one of his magic bands to my account, do online check in for him and let him know the room number!

I’m comfortable with my friend staying there, David’s are not comfortable.

we could just link one of his magic bands to my account, do online check in for him and let him know the room number!

That will not work because if he is not listed as a guest on the reservation his MB won’t work, regardless of whether he is in your account.

I would simply tell David’s you are bringing guests and need to update the reservation, When the trip comes, if you end up not going then that’s up to you.

That will not work because if he is not listed as a guest on the reservation his MB won’t work, regardless of whether he is in your account.

I would simply tell David’s you are bringing guests and need to update the reservation, When the trip comes, if you end up not going then that’s up to you.

I agree!

I agree! Just tell them to add the names and don't elaborate beyond that.

I got the e-mail from Davids saying the people who I've rented to are wary of coming in early October and would I consider re-renting.
I said yes if same T&C but that was last week and heard nothing back - is the market overly saturated with these re-rentals and therefore the reason I heard nothing?

Are people reaching out for new renters in this forum if no response from Davids?
I had exactly the same email from David's about a month ago. I was happily willing to re-rent if they could find someone. It is not David's fault if the owner will not respond. I called David's to recheck as I had not heard anything in 1 month. They told me that they did not have anyone who wanted to take up the rental . If you have someone who you want to rent your points to, then you can cancel the rental, return the 70% payment and go ahead renting yourself. You do run the risk that you will not be able to rent out your points though. I have checked David's site multiple times and there are many , many people trying to rent unused points for a first time, so it is obvious that David's cannot find anyone to re-rent. The COVID situation is unique, but it serves as a warning for everyone. People need to understand that if they sign a contract, and take advantage of lower rates to rent DVC points and the contract states no cancellations, that is exactly what it means. If they accept the benefits then they also take on the risks. I kept the original rental in the name of the party who wanted to cancel, and so as long as I don't change it or cancel it, I get the final 30% payment from David's today. I rented way back in January before the whole COVID thing broke. Any help David's has tried to give is purely optional on their part. I think they are doing the best they can in an impossible situation.

Fingers crossed for you!

To be fair to David's they actually offer the owner a cash incentive to change the listing for you. If the owner won't budge then there is nothing David's can do.

I had exactly the same email from David's about a month ago. I was happily willing to re-rent if they could find someone. It is not David's fault if the owner will not respond. I called David's to recheck as I had not heard anything in 1 month. They told me that they did not have anyone who wanted to take up the rental . If you have someone who you want to rent your points to, then you can cancel the rental, return the 70% payment and go ahead renting yourself. You do run the risk that you will not be able to rent out your points though. I have checked David's site multiple times and there are many , many people trying to rent unused points for a first time, so it is obvious that David's cannot find anyone to re-rent. The COVID situation is unique, but it serves as a warning for everyone. People need to understand that if they sign a contract, and take advantage of lower rates to rent DVC points and the contract states no cancellations, that is exactly what it means. If they accept the benefits then they also take on the risks. I kept the original rental in the name of the party who wanted to cancel, and so as long as I don't change it or cancel it, I get the final 30% payment from David's today. I rented way back in January before the whole COVID thing broke. Any help David's has tried to give is purely optional on their part. I think they are doing the best they can in an impossible situation.
Hello! Just checking to see if you received your 30% from David’s on yesterday?

So there is a way we can ask David's to re rent our reservations if the owner agrees? or change the dates?

Last edited:
So there is a way we can ask David's to re rent our reservations if the owner agrees? or change the dates?

David’s seems to be allowing renters to have their confirmed trips posted...no changing of dates.l for rental providing an owner agrees to do so...and some owners are not interested because both resorts and parks are open.

In many cases, they are renting for less so not all funds are being recouped. I also think that it depends on when the trip is Most seem to have been 2020 dates.

All you can do is call and ask Wi

Thank you so much for the info. I wasnt told any of this from Davids when I inquired about my early Jan trip. I was told if we didnt go, we lost it all. Only reason we wont go is because our boarders with still be closed or the 14 day quarantine will remain in place. Can afford two weeks off work for a five day vacay :(. Will contact them today to discuss this potential option. Have a great weekend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter