I did it

dislvr74

Mouseketeer
I just paid off my credit card. $7,000 in 5 months. I can hardly believe it. :banana:

I learned some great lesson during this process that I just want to put out here in cyberspace:

1. I will be jealous if my extended family goes to WDW without me, but nobody ever died from jealousy.

2. A vacation isn't much fun when you are paying for it 5 years later.

3. I can do without so much and be fine. Whenever I need a good reminder to stop my pity party, I just read the laid off support thread. That really puts things into perspective.

4. ChaCha saved my life and my marriage. I worked every spare minute I had and made enough to finish paying off the card two months earlier than planned.

5. I would much rather ChaCha for a future (paid for in cash) vacation than old debt.

6. My husband and I actually make a decent amount of money and, when it is managed well, we have more than enough.

7. I don't "deserve" new clothes, a vacation, a new car, a new computer, etc. unless I can pay for it in cash. Working hard doesn't mean you get to have everything you want.

8. It takes more work to pay off a credit card than to save for a big purchase in advance.

I am so glad that I buckled down and did this. It wasn't easy, but it is so worth it to wake up this morning and know that I don't need to spend another day searching for an extra $10 or $20 to put towards the credit card. I find it a blessing to know that I can now start the "fun" part of our path towards a debt free life by making extra payments on our car, student loans, and mortgage.

I don't post here very often, but I read everything. I have to say thank you for helping me stay on track and appreciate what I do have. I am well aware that many of you are making tough choices between paying for housing or food and would love to have my "problem" of deciding which bill to tackle next. You have been an inspiration and not a day goes by that I don't think good thoughts for those of you who are in the most dire of situations.

Congrats! :cheer2:

Sacrifices like you made may seem hard at the time, but when you reach a goal like this, it's worth it!

:thumbsup2 CONGRATULATIONS!!! :thumbsup2

In this day and age, you truly deserve congratulations :D

Good for you
It truely is a great feeling - We have been without CC debt and car debt for a few years and are working on a 5 year house pay off plan and I am looking forward to the sweet taste of freedom

Sitting here in my office, reading your post...makes me want to stand up and clap and cheer! It might sound weird but I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!! :goodvibes

The things you learned are very important (and so true!). Good for you and being able to start 2009 on the right foot :thumbsup2 .

I am very proud of you also!!! I have been trying to work toward this goal too and something happens every time I get a good running start!! I won't give up though and I'll get there eventually!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! party:

Way to go!! :thumbsup2 That's $1,400 a month you saved up to pay off the debt! Just think about it - if you keep the same attitude towards savings, how much you could have in a year!!! ($16,800, not even including interest)

I've been lucky enough to not get into CC debt, but it certainly hasn't been due to good spending habits... This past April, I got a program called YNAB (www.youneedabudget.com), which really helps me to prioritize what I want to spend my money on, as well as to set aside money for future expenses (those quarterly or annual bills, future Disney vacations, cool but expensive toys, etc.). This Christmas has been relatively stress-free moneywise because I'd been budgeting money for Christmas expenses.

(Sorry for the tangent - I love that program, and it sounds like it'd be perfect for you...)

Could someone post the link for cha cha? I have been trying to find the link, but I haven't been able to.
Any other cha cha info would be great too!

AWESOME! You are an inspiration that i need to buckle down again and remember that my debt is not insumountable and i too can have it paid off by the end of 2009 if i really buckle down.

Lara

I'm sorry, I found it. Unfortunately they aren't accepting new guide roles currently. I'll keep checking back.

Way to go and congrats to you. You made the sacrifices and did the hard work.
Now keep going and get that emergency fund full funded.

Great work and so glad you learned some valuable budgeting and life lessons!!! :banana: Keep up the good work!!!:thumbsup2

Thanks for all your well wishes. I'm pretty proud of myself, too.

ChaCha isn't hiring right now, but keep checking back. It is hard work and can be frustrating, but it is great to make some extra money from home.

ChaCha is a service that allows people to text questions and receive free answers from guides. Guides get paid .10/.20 a question. I started in late OCt and I've made about $650. There is a huge thread about it called "OT-ChaCha" on this board.

I should clarify that I didn't pay this off only with money from chacha. I literally tucked away every spare penny. I started shopping at Aldi and set aside the difference between what I used to spend on groceries and what I was spending now. I stopped eating out. I didn't get coffee anymore. I didn't buy anything new for myself. I just took all the money that I used to spend and set it aside.

It was hard and I was totally overwhelmed when I realized how many $20 bills I needed to accumulate to pay this off. The first month I only sent in $400. After that, I got serious and sent around $1500 per month. That's more than my mortgage payment!

Did I mention that this was on a Disney Visa? Do you have any idea how much interest I was paying? It was crazy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter