I can't believe I networked the three computers all by myself...YAY!!

Mskanga

<font color=navy>Can speak and read 4 languages fl
We only had two computers hooked up and my kids kept hi-jacking my computer to play toontown and go to their own sites, I could never go on it unless I screamed, so today I bought a router and I set them all up by myself!!! I'm so proud, and now I'm happy too, I got my computer back!!! :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Tell me what you did! We are getting DSL, and have 3 computers to set up also, and a printer. What did you buy? Also, are all 3 together in one room and connected by wires? We have one that needs to be in another room so I think we need wireless. I'm confused!

Wow! I am very very very impressed Olga! It took John days to do it, but he is anal! I swear every wire had to be tye-wrapped and neat and just so...and the box had to go in the exact place he wanted and he had to go into the attic to drill the holes. He drove me mad for about 3 days having my computer on and off.

Minnie it was kind of easy, our cable modem was very easy to set up, configuration was automatic , we didn't have to do anything except hooke it up properly with the wires. Today I bought a router so we could hook up the third computer and in the main computer it was giving me a log in message for the router then I just hit set up and it did everything automatically too, the only thing I did was to wire everything , but I ran all the wires and everything, the best part of this is that I DIDN'T NEED DH TO DO IT!!! Yes I am very proud of that because he did tell me to leave it for him because I would not know how to do it!
The only thing I have to do later is get new versions of the video and sound player so my kids computer can accept toontown, the one in their operating system is too old and needs an upgrade.
I'm so happyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

BTW Minnie, with all the excitement I forgot to say, no the computers are all in different rooms, mine is in the loft ( my office ) dh's is in the masterbedroom and the kids is in the playroom. Wireless is nice but it's also expensive.

Congratulations on doing this yourself! It still seems difficult to me. My question is, what is everything connected to in the other rooms.... I thought that if you don't get wireless, you have to hook a wire for each computer to the router...is that what you did, or how else can it work?

Yes minnie, our cable modem and router are in the masterbedroom which is where the main cable comes in from the pole to the house, then we ran one wire through the wall to the next room ( the loft ) and then another one through the outside wall and down the back of the house wall into the basement and then up to the playroom through an already existent whole on the floor.
I have a printer hooked up on my computer but I can only use it from my computer, I suppose there's a way to network it to be able to use it from another PC but that's too much for me to figure out, anything I want to print out I do it on mine or if dh needs something he e-mails me the link and I print it.

WOW! I'm proud of you, sweetie. I would be too afraid to try something like that. Good job :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter