I am renting out an Old Key West studio for $80, and there is no taker?!!!

lat

DIS Veteran
DVC Gold
I am a DVC member and have a reservation at the Old Key West for a studio for 11/2 for 4 nights. I am trying to rent it out for $320 ($80/night) and there is no taker so far (since yesterday).

I thought the rate is really good given that it is a deluxe resort and it is a busy week.

I am surprised I can't rent it out for $80/night!!! How come?

ps Moderator, I am posting here not to advertise, but just could not figour it out. However, if you remove it, I can understand.

$10/point is the about the going rate, not really good (or really bad). Your reservation is not much more than a month from now. OKW is probably the DVC property that non-members are least likely to want. People looking to rent points for this time period probably have already made plans and your rate isn't really low enough to motivate someone to change their existing plans.

Originally posted by lat

I thought the rate is really good given that it is a deluxe resort and it is a busy week.

I am surprised I can't rent it out for $80/night!!! How come?

ps Moderator, I am posting here not to advertise, but just could not figour it out. However, if you remove it, I can understand.

An OKW studio for those dates is 8 points per night ... so $80 a night isn't really a discount.... $10 per point is the norm. Usually when someone is trying to get rid of a reservation on short notice they'll offer $8-9 per point... sometimes even less.

Thanks.

When I rent, I always look at how much I am willing to pay for the room at that particular resort. To me, $80 is around what people pay for a moderate resort with AP rate (not sure, I assume that is the case, but with sales tax added, it may be more than $80 per night). I think OKW has a lot more to offer than a moderate resort, to say OKW rental should be around, lets say $60, would be comparing OKW to All Star which I think is an insult.

Sorry, this is just how I feel.

Now, if that $80 was for May-and a Saturday nite-at OKW, we'd scoop it up! We love OKW and already plan to be there for a week. But I think the short notice thing may be a big factor at this point.

But at the moderate resort you'll have maid service, clean towels, sheets, trash taken out, etc. And as a Mom with two messy boys that means a lot. We love OKW, don't get me wrong, but we always do the one or two bedroom unit with the w/d.

Erika,

I hear you. We are actually going to OKW the first time next month staying in a 1-bedroom. However, the rate is twice as high as a studio.

However, if the renter pays $25 per day maid service for the 3 days (for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th day), that is $395 for 4 nights, which is around $100 per night, I think it is still pretty good for a deluxe resort. You would get all the fresh towels, daily maid service and everything else like a regular resort.

I can always cancel the reservation or lower the price. I am not set yet in what I will do, just looking for opinions.

I'd go with the short notice factor and that you haven't factored this in your price...

each night is 8 points X $10 per night per point..$80 per night...that is the going rate. So, you have a 4 night ressie that doesn't include a weekend that is 34 days away....

I think OKW has a lot more to offer than a moderate resort, to say OKW rental should be around, lets say $60, would be comparing OKW to All Star which I think is an insult.

Your statement is true but you aren't offering points which are valued at $10 per point you are offering a specific reservation which if you need to have used you will have to discount it, which means about $8 per point. If you don't need to get rid of that specific ressie and can rent the points you will most probably get rid of it at $10 per point no problem..

We have two DVC members we work with and they always rent to us for $9 per point. Back in the spring of 2001 we were able to rent points for $6 from a man who was in a bind and his time was running out. So we've been lucky. :) My advice would be to try the $10 points first, but if it doesn't work out then lower it to $8-9.

Lat,
Sorry, I didn't do the first reply right.;) You may be the solution to my problem. I want to go to WDW early Nov. My first dates are Nov 5-9th but might be able to change to Nov 1-5th. I have never rented points before and don't know if this is possible but could your dates be changed to either one of these periods? I would then be able to rents your points. Please contact me at mkwest@jam.rr.com;)

Yipee!!! Maybe I have my problem solved..................

But no matter what, I will lower the rental to $9 per point and see what happens.

Margaret, I am e-mailing you.:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter