I-10 to Destin, road condition?

Stratman50th

Loving all things Fort Wilderness!
Hey gang, taking a trip from home in central Florida to Destin in May. I've been on 10 before, but never further than Tallahassee. I have heard horror stories about the condition of 10 but not sure where it starts to get bad. I'm showing an alternate route of 20 but it looks like it could be local with a bunch of lights.
Question for you regular users coming from the west, should I just stick with 10 or is there a better way?
Taking our coach towing the Tahoe.
Thanks in advance!
Don

Don,

In September 2018, we drove from the Fort to Gulf Shores. I-10 on that stretch wasn't bad. (at least compared to Midwest interstates). I think I-10 is much worse from Gulf Shores/Pensacola to the West.

j

Thanks for the input! I'm planning on about a 7 hour trip, about what you all experienced?

You’re good until you get to Mississippi. :)

Drove from NOLA to Orlando in July. We think the roads in Florida are a dream compared to the nightmare in Louisiana.

I was going to say...everything is great until you hit Louisiana. You don’t even need the welcome sign to tell you.

Don
I run from Mobile, Al to Miami and back to New Orleans every week in my tractor trailer and you will be fine running I10, they have resurfaced alot of it between Tallahassee and Pensacola. Right not their are sandblasting and repainting to over passes, I believe their at the overpass for the rest area where the time zone changes around the 160 mile marker I believe, but this work is happening during the night time hours,

Don
I run from Mobile, Al to Miami and back to New Orleans every week in my tractor trailer and you will be fine running I10, they have resurfaced alot of it between Tallahassee and Pensacola. Right not their are sandblasting and repainting to over passes, I believe their at the overpass for the rest area where the time zone changes around the 160 mile marker I believe, but this work is happening during the night time hours,
Thanks Randy. I hate getting my coach beat up. There's some places through the Carolinas that feel like everything in there is going to fall apart. Good to know I won't have to fix stuff after the trip.

Just moved from Destin to Orlando last year. 98 sucks..it's a baby version of I4
Yep. It’s always been terrible, but they started construction on 98 a couple years ago and it’s much worse now. They are widening 98, adding lanes both ways. I think they’re hoping to be done next year. I hope it’s better then but for now it’s pretty rough. I am not looking forward to spring breakers driving it.

Yep. It’s always been terrible, but they started construction on 98 a couple years ago and it’s much worse now. They are widening 98, adding lanes both ways. I think they’re hoping to be done next year. I hope it’s better then but for now it’s pretty rough. I am not looking forward to spring breakers driving it.

I remember when they first started it, they said 2019 lol. Ya, when I came back home for christmas couldn't believe how bad it still was.

I lived 7 miles away from work..On days it rained in the summer, it would take me almost 90 minutes to get home

We were at Topsail in January, I was shocked at what little had been done on 98 since the year before. We laughed about it because the entrance to the Chik-fil-A just west of Sandestin hadnt changed in any perceptible way in 12 months.

Out of curiosity, were you at Topsail the state park, or Tops'l the beach/tennis resort (people like to use it interchangeably even though different)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter