HydroGuy Tips Compilation

HydroGuy

A Pirate's Life For Me
I have numerous tips scattered around DIS that get referenced frequently, and wanted to add a compilation to my signature line for easier access. So I needed a thread to collect them all. There is no need to post responses here, but if you want to then go ahead.

WHERE TO FIND GENERAL INFORMATION

My threads below tend to be pretty specialized, but if you want general DLR information there is a lot of it available on DIS that others have written. First, there is the Disneyland menu bar on the forum. You should be able to see it above and the first entry is Theme Parks. Go to the menu items there for lots of great information!

Second there is Mary Jo's sticky thread: * DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! where she gives links to some of my threads below and lots of other links as well.

My threads below tend to be a mixture of the informational and the observational/philosophical with lots of advice thrown in based on my opinion and experience over 50 years. The idea is to help you avoid common pitfalls by understanding park trends.

I am not and do not claim to be a super-duper expert Disney visitor. I only visit DLR about once per year. However, I do have a knack for taking different pieces of information, observation and experience and weaving them together into practical advice. :cool2: I hope it helps you have a more magical visit to the Disney parks. :goodvibes

HYDROGUY TIPS pixiedust:

ABBREVIATIONS

"DLR Abbreviations List" - www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520784

"WDW Abbreviations List" - www.wdwinfo.com/abbreviations.htm (this is a general DIS thread and not mine)

"Disneyland Resort Lingo for Newbies" - www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2214012

RESORT GUIDES

"A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

"An Introduction To WDW For DLR Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=16541636

WEATHER

"Detailed Weather Data for DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=23004158

"Detailed Weather Data for WDW" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=23004631

"Comparison of Weather For WDW and DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1711098

FASTPASS AT DLR

"Comparing DLR's MaxPass to WDW's FastPass+" - https://www.disboards.com/threads/comparing-dlrs-maxpass-to-wdws-fastpass.3726294/

"Thoughts on Maximizing FASTPASS in Today's Disney Parks" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=50089263

"FastPass for Dummies and Smarties - A Photographic Explanation" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1186052

SEASONAL AT DLR

"Choosing When To Visit DLR: Summary of High and Low Season and When Each Happens" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=36509602

"Understanding AP Blockouts and Impact on Crowds" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2365983

"Getting The Most Out of a Summer Visit To DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1345319

"What You Should Know About Off-Season at DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18462889

"HydroGuy's High Season/Off Season Tradeoff Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199852

"List of American Holidays" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1937849

"Historical DLR Park Hours, Entertainment and Refurbs" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2291124

"The Scoop on Grad Nights at DLR in May and June" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2298400

DLR SHOWS

"World of Color Superthread" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=37986447

"The Best World of Color Viewing Spots" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2655956

"Fantasmic! Superthread" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2671983

DLR DINING

"What WDW Vets Need to Know About Dining at DLR" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2914467

"From DLR to WDW and Back Again: My Challenge With WDW Dining Philosophy at DLR" - www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2449979

DLR AREA LODGING

"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862

"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/

GENERAL STRATEGY

"Hidden Time Losses When Using a Car At DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1381580

"HydroGuy's Fireworks Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199851

"HydroGuy's How To Avoid Long Lines Rules" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199856

"HydroGuy's Make Sure You Get On Your Favorite Ride Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199860

OTHER DLR TOPICS

"Ride Count Comparison Between DLR and WDW" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3221332

"The Psychology of the DLR Annual Pass Holder" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2244322

OTHER GOOD TIPS I DID NOT WRITE

"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/

"Early Admission (MM/EMH/APEE) Super Thread" by DLR29 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1675403

"Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information" by @3TinksAndAnEeyore www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2318297

"Where do Uber and Lyft drop off at Disneyland?" www.disboards.com/threads/where-do-uber-and-lyft-drop-off-at-disneyland.3629816/

"Walking Distance Hotel List w/ discussion & details of hotels" by OnTheRoadAgain http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796786

2020 Calendar of Events & School Breaks and DLR by @figment_jii
2020 Calendar of Events & School Breaks and DLR

"RideMax FAQs" by @bellebookworm9 (note this FAQ is more oriented towards the WDW version but mostly applies to DLR) http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=35460390&postcount=945

Last edited:
That is so great you did that. Now that the search function is so badly set up, this will make it easier. Have you seen the "whats the best tip you got on the disboards" thread? You are mentioned quite a bit. Maybe it should be "Ode to Hydroguy"! My husband still ribs me that I'll always take your word over his when it comes to Disneyland information!

Hey .... you changed your pix! ! !

:worship: seriously... everyone needs these threads committed to memory before attempting to enter the park

Hey .... you changed your pix! ! !
Old avatar photo was taken at DCA in 2005 and kids are older now. The new photo is not that great when shrunk down to avatar size, but the best I could find. It was taken at the DL Frontierland Shooting Gallery last month.

Thanks for putting all the links in one place, HydroGuy. :thumbsup2

Virtually all are essential reading for anyone wanting to get the most out of DLR.

(Also with all the titles of the threads in one place, it'll prevent me from constantly mis-naming the Link "Titles" in the future :rotfl: )

A remarkable collection of info....& heck....I'm a grasshopper (disciple) & there are two links here I haven't seen before.

& I agree, either a sticky (or a book deal). :cool1:

hound - :cool2:

Thanks again Trey..I read them prior to every trip just to reinforce my feeble mind/\.

Jackpirate:

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
GREAT Post! Thanks for the gathering of Information....we are planning another trip for 2008 and this is great information to have.

I found this just in time for my family's vacation out west. We are starting in Las Vegas, then on to DLR then San Diego. Thank you Hydro Man and BUMP!
Debbie

I am leaving in one week!! party: So I thought it was appropriate to review hydroguy's tips!! Since I was searching I figured I would bump this up!

P.S. STICKY STICKY STICKY

This is exactly what I needed!! I used to live in So CA but have not been to DL in oh....20 years almost! Planning on going and taking the kids in Dec(I think I might be insane!) We are value season vets at WDW and have our touring strategies down pat. This is going to help me decide if we are indeed insane and if not how best we can plan things out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter