Hurricane Season

jodisney70

Earning My Ears
Has anyone ever cruised in September or October and encountered a hurricane? How bad was the ship rocking? Where did you go to get out of the way?
I originally had our cruise booked for December but moved it to September to celebrate our anniversary on board - I hope I made the right decision!
Thanks!:bounce:

There were two voyages diverted by hurricanes this season. One of the 4-day Wonder trips went to Charleston, SC and then to Castaway Cay.

And one of the 7-day Magic trips went to Castway Cay, San Juan Puerto Rico, St Thomas, and Castaway Cay (again!).

There was a trip in November that was rocked by a very late storm... the center of the storm was nowhere near the boat, but the storm caused rough seas for a long ways out.

I don't think any of the September cruises were affected this year.

We sailed last September and were told upon check-in that we would be diverted due to a hurricane. That night at dinner, they made an announcement that the captain would be able to sail around it after all and we'd keep to the orginal plan.

The first night, with the storm we were going around and crossing the Gulf Stream, it felt like someone was jumping up and down on the end of our bed while we tried to sleep. The pools were shut because the water was sloshing out of them. My husband and I each took one Bonine and were fine... no sickness. And he's really prone to motion sickness... if he made it through, anyone can :)

After that first night, everything was pretty smooth sailing.

I would cruise again in September... we had a great time. But be prepared for the possibility of not going to the ports you think you'll be going to. I was devastated by this news at check-in, but looking back on it now, we enjoyed the time on the ship so much more than the time on the islands, that I don't care where we end up next time!

Julie

We have cruised for the past three Septembers. Only once have we been diverted due to a hurricane. It was our 4 day cruise in 1999. Hurricane Floyd took out Castaway Cay. We went to Key West instead.

Hi,

We sailed October of 99 and were hit by Huricane Irene. We had been so excited becuase Castaway Cay had just reopened the week before but we didn't get to go anyway! :( We ended up just spending a day at sea instead of going to Castaway Cay while we sailed around Irene. The ship rocked HORRIBLE!!! I overheard our head server say that he had never felt it rock so bad before. Our closet doors wouldn't stay shut they kept sliding open and shut, open and shut..... After we got off neither my husband nor I could walk straight for about 3 days. Then after that we were still getting a little vertigo for about another 4. We later did a 7 day and experienced no veritgo of any kind at all.

It rained every minute of the cruise and they closed off the open decks because of the high waves and the winds. They shut down all the pools as well. A lot of people were complaining and wanting compensation (which we didn't get) but I still enjoyed the cruise. I know that Disney can't controll the weather. There were plenty of onboard games they added to the itenerary.

I personaly would not chance it again even though I'm sure it doesn't happen all that much.
I have heard of many beautiful cruises during these months. I guess you make your reservations and take your chances.

I cruised during the month of October and we had rough water and high winds due to a tropical depression. It doesn't have to be all the way up to a hurricane to make your cruise miserable. I personally wouldn't cruise during this time again. There's alot of storm activity during this time. Why do you think the prices are so cheap? My next cruise will be during the month of May.:)

We sailed on the 7-day in late September, 2000. It was only the sixth or seventh sailing on the 7-day, and the second sailing was diverted to Key West and Cozumel. The week that we were to leave, Hurricane Joyce formed in the Atlantic and was heading toward the Leeward Islands. I was pretty sure we'd be going to Key West and Cozumel at this point. Then, the day before we left, Hurricane Keith formed off the coast of Honduras and was headed straight for the Yucatan, so Cozumel was out.

When we boarded, we really didn't know where we would be going. We were told that we be in Key West on Sunday, and then after that, it all depended on the weather. By Saturday night, the captain announced at the welcome variety show that Joyce had been downgraded, and had turned toward the south. He said that while we would still stop at Key West, there was a good chance that we'd then be able to call at St. Thomas on Wednesday, as scheduled. We already had a tentative itinerary, with an extra day at Castaway Cay, and a call at Nassau (we had already booked excursions on Nassau). On Sunday, when we left Key West, the Captain announced that we were indeed heading to St. Thomas. We called there and at Castaway Cay on Friday with no problems.

We never hit rough seas on this trip because the storms in question were never anywhere near the ship. The only rain we ran into was on Saturday night and early Sunday morning. By the time we got off the ship at Key West, it had stopped and the sun came out in the afternoon.

I'd say to go ahead and sail in the fall. You get the good discounts, and most of the time, the itinerary isn't altered. Just keep in mind that there is a chance of this happening, and go with the flow. Being on the ship is great fun in and of itself, and I'm sure you can find something fun to do no matter where the ship calls.

We are doing a 3-day in Sept 2002.
Thanks for the tips. We will just go with the flow.

To be honest I am more concerned about not having any days at sea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter