Hurricane Maria!!

Did you mean PR for Puerto Rico? Because according to the current track and the spaghetti models Maria is not expected to hit Florida and Port Canaveral, Thank Goodness!
yes... PR my phone corrected it to PC

Drudge and daily mail have a lot of photos. Officials in San Juan are using words like destroyed and apacolyptic. I'm not sure how this will affect cruises over the next few months. Hopefully DCL will let you know before the PIF date on your January cruises. Since it's not just a port of call, but a embarkation port I wouldn't think they could wait until the last minute to make a decision.
President Trump said Puerto Rico was absolutely obliterated.

MUN

Living in FL we are watching this like a hawk and I'm on the Dream sailing tomorrow. I just checked Nassau's forecast again and as of right now, it will probably be a rainy crappy day with wind speeds of around 14-18 miles per hour with gusts up to 25 miles per hour on Sat. Sat night less wind. Sunday - rainy/cloudy with less wind. This still equates to fairly low sea swells per all the charts.
I've sailed in windy seas with the Wonder rolling so hard you walked into the walls. I believe we had 15-18 ft swells. That was not fun. So I'm hoping with a bit bigger of a boat that the Dream is, and smaller winds and being docked all day, the seas won't be that bad.
Anything can happen though. The local FL weather guys are uber confident that Maria will continue further east however.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/bs/weather/-/nassau?wx_auto_reload=

It's sad their economy depends so heavily on tourism.
Their economy does not depend so heavily on tourism. Sure, it's important, but manufacturing makes up nearly 50% of their GDP. True, it's a poor territory, poorer than the poorest state (Mississippi), but compared to it's Caribbean neighbors it is relatively well off, thanks in part to a strong manufacturing base. However, I am getting off topic.

I've read so many people complaining about their vacations being ruined but the devastation the people on the islands are living through - and will for many months to come - is heartbreaking.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41352620

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-41354748
Agreed, it's heartbreaking. However, this is a discussion board about vacations, specifically DCL cruises. It's a good spot for people to talk about past, present, and future vacations.

MUN

I was born and raised in PR and, of course, have been following the news with much concern. The good news is that there seem to already be plans in place for helping PR pull through. Here is the latest message that I saw on FB this afternoon:

update:

1) The port of San Juan did not suffer major damages and shipments will be arriving as soon as today with supplies
2) The airport is expected to open tomorrow but it's up to the airlines to resume scheduled flights
3) Crews from the NY and Long Island Power Authorities will be arriving via military aircraft to help establish power
4) There is an aircraft carrier that was in the area that will move closer and provide logistical support (helicopters and such) of relief efforts
5) A barge will arrive tonight with a million of liters of water, food, cots, and 31 high capacity generators
6) The government is focused on the telecommunication network to reestablish cell phone service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter