Hurricane Irma?

Our party of 8 just landed at mco. Here until 9/16. Plenty of supplies packed. Groceries ordered. We expect 2 very wind rainy days. I'll take a windy rainy Disney day over Pittsburgh anyday.

The sun is shining. We are going to enjoy our time before the storm. Hunker down for the storm. The resume vacation mode.

We were here for Matthew last year. That helped us with what we needed and how things would go

Now off to old key west.

Yeah I get it... I personally think putting out an announcement like that at night when they easily could have waited a few more hours to see if it stayed that bad is a little odd.

I hear you. All I know from living through many winter storms and hurricanes is that it's really hard to make these types of calls as public officials so I cut them some slack. You're responsible for people's safety, the safety of the workers, the effects on the economy. All based on weather forecasts that are constantly changing. I don't envy them.

So, we're supposed to fly in on Tuesday morning. Based on the models, Irma will have passed WDW by then, but I'm afraid of the post-hurricane issues (no water, etc).

I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO :headache::tongue:!!!! Cancel? Thoughts? Ugh!!!

This is a very hard storm to predict. As of this morning weather forecasters are still not sure exactly of the impact and where this storm will effect. It could keep changing up till the last minute. As a pp said it is a hard situation for officials to be in. Their first priority is to keep people safe and alive. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes making these decisions.

We are here now. Our departure flight was yesterday 6:30am so we had to decide Tuesday evening. I arrived with knots in my stomach. Now that I'm here, it's like we're in this magical bubble where things like major natural disasters just don't exist. The sun is shining, the weather is gorgeous, everyone is cheerful. We've spoken with several cast members and they are aware but mostly unconcerned (at least that's the way it appeared to us) and feel that Disney is a very safe place to be even during a Cat 5.

Spoke to another couple from Toronto there with their young child last night, they also just flew in. They decided to take the risk too. Heard a few people already here mention they were moving up their departure date to Friday.

We're staying at Caribbean Beach in Jamaica and I must say, I feel really safe in this room. It's like a little bomb shelter. We're here for two weeks and Sunday was supposed to be a non-park day for us anyway. We were expecting to lose at least a day or two for bad weather regardless so we weren't too concerned about the parks being closed. If it's really, really bad and they need to be closed for longer, then we'll see how things go.

For better or for worse, we'll be here in Orlando for Irma.

I know that my concern about what to do about my vacation is such a small problem compared to what other people are dealing with but I'm just paralyzed with trying to make the right decision. Rescheduling would cause huge issues for us at home because of obligations we have. I, like everyone else, which that hurricanes were more predictable.

I am heartbroken for all of the people who have already suffered through and who still have yet to suffer through this storm's wrath.

Images are coming in from the Leeward Islands of the level of wrath you mentioned. St. Martin and Barbuda in particular have suffered catastrophic damage.

43FEA0AA00000578-4860396-image-a-24_1504768411147.jpg

43FEEA1700000578-4860396-image-a-40_1504771799777.jpg

43F99AE600000578-4857842-Dramatic_pictures_have_started_to_emerge_on_social_media_showing-a-34_1504749809956.jpg

Does anyone have any info about how refunds for my flight works if i booked it all through Disney? Do I have to contact JetBlue separately or can Disney just refund the total cost of my trip package including the flight since it was booked through them?
Start with who you booked with first. Always.

Still just waiting and watching.

Our trip is the 10th through the 17th.

We are driving, so no flight to worry about. No free dining. In fact, the room is booked with our DVC points.

Our only concern is gas. And we think we have that pretty much figured out.

Waiting and watching.

We are here now. Our departure flight was yesterday 6:30am so we had to decide Tuesday evening. I arrived with knots in my stomach. Now that I'm here, it's like we're in this magical bubble where things like major natural disasters just don't exist. The sun is shining, the weather is gorgeous, everyone is cheerful. We've spoken with several cast members and they are aware but mostly unconcerned (at least that's the way it appeared to us) and feel that Disney is a very safe place to be even during a Cat 5.

Spoke to another couple from Toronto there with their young child last night, they also just flew in. They decided to take the risk too. Heard a few people already here mention they were moving up their departure date to Friday.

We're staying at Caribbean Beach in Jamaica and I must say, I feel really safe in this room. It's like a little bomb shelter. We're here for two weeks and Sunday was supposed to be a non-park day for us anyway. We were expecting to lose at least a day or two for bad weather regardless so we weren't too concerned about the parks being closed. If it's really, really bad and they need to be closed for longer, then we'll see how things go.

For better or for worse, we'll be here in Orlando for Irma.

Stay safe and if you haven't already, follow the tips other WDW vets have shared about putting a stash of food an beverages aside just in case the resort has to close. You don't want to deal with those box lunch nightmares! :hyper2:

I'm due in at 6:30pm into MCO! On the phone today looking to cancel and re-arrange for flight tomorrow, glad for now I didn't manage to get the airline to issue a refund (Aerlingus - they wanted to wait and see). Now waiting to see what time MCO decide to cut-off. If they go back to 5pm I'll be really annoyed.

Anyone hearing anything on new potential cut-off for MCO on Saturday?

I'd guess they'll keep it open a few more hours at least. The new forcasts look better for Orlando so that's probably why they took it down.

But still, your situation is exactly the type I'm talking about. You're in limbo right now.

Still just waiting and watching.

Our trip is the 10th through the 17th.

We are driving, so no flight to worry about. No free dining. In fact, the room is booked with our DVC points.

Our only concern is gas. And we think we have that pretty much figured out.

Waiting and watching.

Presumably you are keeping your eye on the evacuation road situation - that could impact driving if Irma warnings go up between now and the 10th. :)

Has any one cancelled their room and it is still showing up in MDE? I called but I can't wait 60 min to ask a question.

Here in NJ I'm watching moreso how people who live in Florida are treating Irma - as while we panic when we hear about a hurricane, they're usually the first to say "nah dont worry about it". When they start worrying, I'll start worrying - not about my trip, but about their homes/jobs/lives/etc.

Well this sucks, we were suppose to leave early the 9th and our flight has been canceled (Southwest), we had thought about driving, but not knowing how the infrastructure is going to be or fuel access will be, we really can't risk it. Guess we will push off and make our November trip longer.

MCO has taken it off their website and rumors I'm seeing says they are now playing it by ear. Someone found that on the site but I don't see it. On phone though.
Last night it was on a scroll. You had to wait for it to scroll by on the right box

MCO is not trying to be annoying.
Any airport's goal is to safely move as many flights and people in and out of the area as possible.
If they can be operational for any amount of extra hours, then that is what they are mandated to do.

Agree and people may want to read the footnote they have up on their site now that specifically says the airport cannot act as a hurricane shelter.

So, we're supposed to fly in on Tuesday morning. Based on the models, Irma will have passed WDW by then, but I'm afraid of the post-hurricane issues (no water, etc).

I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO :headache::tongue:!!!! Cancel? Thoughts? Ugh!!!

I would cancel if you have the ability to reschedule

I'd guess they'll keep it open a few more hours at least. The new forcasts look better for Orlando so that's probably why they took it down.

But still, your situation is exactly the type I'm talking about. You're in limbo right now.

Watching the am news and the crawl at the bottom of the screen says MCO will cease commercial flights at 5:00 pm Saturday. Reporters say they spoke with the airport and they said they are monitoring the situation and have not made a firm decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter