Huricane Season

mickeys friend

DIS Veteran
Can anyone let me know when huricane season is? I know that the weather is never the same from one year to the next during those months and I've been there during tropicial storms.But does it seem like they come more often during certain months during huricane season?If so what about Sept/Oct?We've been at WDW in May,June,July and Nov.During all of our trips (sometime more than once a year)we were in the tropical storm only once but it went across FL and turned around and came back across,so we had alot of high winds and lots (more than the daily thunderstorm)of rain.Had some trouble landing,but we made it and the Poly front desk kept us up to date on the weather several times a day by our voice mail in our room.Just was wondering about huricane season.mickeys_friend@hotmail.com

Huricane season starts June 1st for Florida.
I used to live in Fl and have been through a few . It isn't really bad as far inland as Orlando is. It would be similar to going through a tropical storm with high winds. The season goes through Aug.

Hurricane season is June 1-Nov. 30. Yep - the END of November! (Our trip to Puerto Rico in Nov. 1999 was rescheduled due to a hurricane.) The storms seem to be worst in August/September.

Found this on the USA Today website...

The biggest threat to the Caribbean and the Bahamas, the U.S. and to eastern Mexico begins in August and lasts through October. In general, places in the southern Caribbean have fewer hurricanes than in the northern Caribbean.

Everywhere in the Atlantic basin is fair game for hurricanes, including Bermuda, especially during September when the season reaches its peak. Long-term records show that four times as many storms have formed in the Atlantic Basin in mid September than during mid June.

While September is the peak of the hurricane season in the Atlantic Basin, storms don't hit every year. Typically, several years can go by without even a close call. Table 3 lists 15 places around the basin where storms have hit in the past, showing just how rare they are.

That being said... I lived in the Houston area for 10 years, and the worst we got was last year (as we were packing up to move the next week) when Allison hit. And Hit. And Hit.... So any time in those 6 months or so is fair game. Allison was a tropical storm, but you would never know that based on the damage that it did to the Houston area. It was awful.

Below is a link to the USA Today article. It has links to maps of probability of storms by month. Pretty interesting.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/huricane/whclimo.htm

I wouldn't worry about it though... There are a lot of years that none hit. Like I said, I lived in Houston, and of the 10 years I lived there, we had one really really bad time, and a lot of near misses. I know Florida gets hit more, but I still wouldn't worry.

I would be worried if I was someplace like in the middle of a boat, in the middle of the Carribean during that time. Or chilling at a beach resort. Disney World has other stuff to do during the time that the hurricane would be going over (probably be tropical storm strength by then... not hurricane).

We are going in July, and I thought about it.. for a few seconds! I would think long and hard before booking a Jamaican vacation, or something during that time though.

When we went on the Disney Wonder at Thanksgiving, a bad storm (hurricane) had just passed through the Caribbean a few weeks before. That cruise got rerouted to Charleston, SC instead of Nassau, Bahamas.

Last week in August thru October are the most unpredictable with Sept 10 the statistical "peak"... though generally not that dangerous to Orlando area folks, even a near miss can dampen your spirits when on vacation... I usually make multiple reservations this time of year and monitor the weather channel religiously(hit dead on in 1992 by hurricane Andrew in Miami)... if you can't be flexible about cancelling, best to stick to your old travel dates which are very good compromises for less risk. I keep trying in Sept and Oct because the crowds and rates are oh so nice...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter